Created by: almillxy8529323
Project

Cowboy Quilt #1

This quilt was made using material from shirts worn as costumes from 9 seasons of the dance team "Windy City Cowboys". I cut about 25-30 shirts apart to get the fabric needed. To increase contrast I added cream and grey neutral fabrics. The equilateral triangles were cut 5.5" and finished at 5". I sewed 20 rows each 18 triangles across to make a queen size quilt 90 x 108". I stiched in the ditch on the neutral triangles. For the backing I found some cool cowboy themed print then added rust and dark brown borders. For binding i used the same dark brown and sewed it down using a long blaket stitch. I added some of the labels from the shirts to the backing of the quilt. I would say the most challenging part of making this quilt was dealing with the distortion created on the bias edges by ironing instead of pressing. Also the red check and pink fabrics were a bit thicker and had a different weave...these distorted even more than the others making the rows bow. I had to rip out and repair a lot. Also had to pin each row to the next to ease in the lower section and get the points to match. They aren't all perfect, but overall pretty darn good. My mom would have been proud of me. I really learned a lot during this project which I can take forward into my next project. I have a lot of smaller scraps left over so I am making a second quilt to practice different types of blocks, then join them as a sampler. - AM

You Can Make This

almillxy8529323 made Cowboy Quilt #1 with:

Master Your Machine: Secrets for Beginner Quilters

Online Class

Master Your Machine: Secrets for Beginner Quilters

with Cyndi Souder

Project Description

This quilt was made using material from shirts worn as costumes from 9 seasons of the dance team "Windy City Cowboys". I cut about 25-30 shirts apart to get the fabric needed. To increase contrast I added cream and grey neutral fabrics. The equilateral triangles were cut 5.5" and finished at 5". I sewed 20 rows each 18 triangles across to make a queen size quilt 90 x 108". I stiched in the ditch on the neutral triangles. For the backing I found some cool cowboy themed print then added rust and dark brown borders. For binding i used the same dark brown and sewed it down using a long blaket stitch. I added some of the labels from the shirts to the backing of the quilt. I would say the most challenging part of making this quilt was dealing with the distortion created on the bias edges by ironing instead of pressing. Also the red check and pink fabrics were a bit thicker and had a different weave...these distorted even more than the others making the rows bow. I had to rip out and repair a lot. Also had to pin each row to the next to ease in the lower section and get the points to match. They aren't all perfect, but overall pretty darn good. My mom would have been proud of me. I really learned a lot during this project which I can take forward into my next project. I have a lot of smaller scraps left over so I am making a second quilt to practice different types of blocks, then join them as a sampler. - AM

Q&A with almillxy8529323

No completed Q&As yet.

Skill Level

Beginner

Get your first class for only $14.99

Get your first class for only $14.99