TRY CRAFTSY UNLIMITED | Watch everything free

Created by: thenchuff
Project

Succulent Gradient

This is my first gradient dying project. My color inspiration was succulent plants that have gray-green leaves with pinkish purple tips. I used Jacquard dye in Teal, and Country Classics dye in Country Green and Raspberry. I have a shawl pattern I want to use this for, so I measured out skeins of my hand-spun 2-ply BFL that were each 1/4 of the total yardage, with one strand connecting each skein so it's continuous. Then I mixed up four colors: teal + country green---- country green---- country green + raspberry ----raspberry. I set the four skeins on plastic wrap and squished the dyes around separately on each one, then wrapped them up and microwaved them. I noticed that a lot of water and dye leaked out of the plastic during the heating process, and that must be why there was so much bleeding from one color to the next. I don't actually mind the way it looks, but I was trying to get a more clear delineation between colors. I think I might try this again and start with dry yarn (instead of pre-soaked) or use guar gum to thicken it up and make it stick where I want it. But overall I think it's pretty and can't wait to start knitting it up!

You Can Make This

thenchuff made Succulent Gradient with:

Next Steps in Yarn Dyeing

Online Class

Next Steps in Yarn Dyeing

with Sarah Eyre

Project Description

This is my first gradient dying project. My color inspiration was succulent plants that have gray-green leaves with pinkish purple tips. I used Jacquard dye in Teal, and Country Classics dye in Country Green and Raspberry. I have a shawl pattern I want to use this for, so I measured out skeins of my hand-spun 2-ply BFL that were each 1/4 of the total yardage, with one strand connecting each skein so it's continuous. Then I mixed up four colors: teal + country green---- country green---- country green + raspberry ----raspberry. I set the four skeins on plastic wrap and squished the dyes around separately on each one, then wrapped them up and microwaved them. I noticed that a lot of water and dye leaked out of the plastic during the heating process, and that must be why there was so much bleeding from one color to the next. I don't actually mind the way it looks, but I was trying to get a more clear delineation between colors. I think I might try this again and start with dry yarn (instead of pre-soaked) or use guar gum to thicken it up and make it stick where I want it. But overall I think it's pretty and can't wait to start knitting it up!

Q&A with thenchuff

No completed Q&As yet.

Skill Level

Beginner