Crocheting Blog

How to Stitch One of Our Favorite Crochet Textures

When it comes to making crochet blankets, corner-to-corner crochet has taken over as one of the most popular techniques! This stitch pattern can be used to make any other square or rectangular crochet projects, which is why it’s ideal for blankets.

Know how to do this already and want some patterns to start working up? Here are some C2C crochet patterns from our marketplace.

Unlike regular crochet, corner to corner crochet begins in the corner.

You’ll start by creating one block of four double crochet stitches in the corner. For the next “row,” you’ll make a block on two adjacent sides of the block, making a triangle.

When you get to the halfway point, reaching the size you want across the edge of the square, you’ll decrease one block at a time until you get back down to one block on the opposite corner. It’s lots of fun and makes for beautiful work!

Free Crocheting Class

crochet textures

Elevate your next crochet project with three stunning textures. Join popular instructor Drew Emborsky, aka The Crochet Dude, and take your skills to the next level!Enroll For FREE

Corner-to-corner crochet tutorial

Walk through this tutorial for specific instructions for how to make a corner-to-corner crochet square. Once you’ve learned the basic technique, you’ll be able to apply it to square and rectangle projects like blankets, dishcloths and more.

Step 1: Chain & first corner block

Chain 6 to start C2C swatch

Chain 6.

double crochet block to start corner to corner crochet

Dc in 4th ch from hook, then dc in each of next 2 stitches.

Step 2: Begin the second row

Chain six to turn corner to corner crochet

Turn and ch 6.

Dc in 4th ch from hook, then dc in each of next 2 stitches. You’ve just finished your second block!

Step 3: Finish the second row

Where to stitch next block of corner to corner crochet

To create the second block, work into the space between the third and fourth dc stitches on the left side of the first block (assuming that you are working right-handed crochet).

Three finished blocks of corner to corner crochet

Into that space, sl st, ch 3 (counts as first dc), 3 dc.

Step 4: Work the next row

Turn and chain 6. Dc in 4th ch from hook, then dc in each of next 2 stitches. (This should look a bit familiar!)

Working Row 3 of Corner to Corner Crochet

Then, (sl st, ch 3, 3 dc) once in each of the two blocks from Row 2.

Step 5: Continue growing the square

Half of a Corner to Corner Crochet Square

Keep growing your square by repeating the last step, adding one more block each time. Do this until the row that you’re on is the length you want the finished square to be. You’ll have a triangle that’s the first half of your C2C square.

Step 6: Begin decreasing

When you’ve reached the right length, you can start decreasing each row. From here on out, each row will have one less block than the row before it.

Turn your work as normal to begin your next row, but don’t make a turning chain.

Slip Stitch across double crochet block

Sl st in each of the 3 dc stitches of the first block on the right. Then work your blocks as normal across the row (repeating the steps above) until you get to the last block.

C2C swatch almost finished

Do not work a block in the last block on the left side of the work. Instead, simply sl st into that space

Turn your work and repeat until you get down to one block at the corner opposite the beginning of your work. Finish off and weave in your ends.

Crochet your square into a rectangle

Love the texture of the corner to corner crochet stitch but want to create a rectangle instead of a square? No problem. Here are the basics:

• Crochet your corner-to-corner square until one straight side is the same length that you want the shorter side of your rectangle to be.
  • Continue crocheting, but alternate increases and decreases each row, always increasing in the same direction and decreasing in the same direction. This keep the straight side the same length that it was while increasing the length of the other side.
  • When your long side has reached the length that you want it to be, decrease as normal.

Finish Crochet with confidence

finishing crochet free guide

From edgings that every crocheter should have in the toolkit to best practices for blocking, learn how to finish crochet projects cleanly, confidently and beautifully!Get The FREE Guide

Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2015 and was updated in March 2018.

Josie

In the corner to corner crotchet instructions, it says DC, however the stitch looks like a treble to me. Am I correct. Thanks

Charis Cooper

These are US terms so
US double crochet = UK treble crochet

Josie

Thank you for your response.

sally

it will be us double crochet and uk treble single crochet is our double crochet, most of them are on stitch out, we do not have a single crochet

Connie

I have made an error,,,wrong color on two blocks on an afghan:(
Is there any way to fix it, like crochet over with the correct color, or something, without ripping out much of the work? Anyone have experience with this. Please Help!!

Eliz

Was there an answer to this? I have done this as well

Mandy C

Personally, is just leave it as is. Whoever it is for will probably never even notice, and to me, it just adds character. There’s nothing else to be done, to my knowledge.

Anna

I have done this several times also… I cut the yarn in the middle of the block and undo it so that I have the working loop (of course you must do this in the previous row without working over it or it is much more difficult) then with the working loop, I pick up with the correct color then after the three double crochets, I slip stitch in the corner of the next stitch and cut the yarn- effectively mending the hole with the correct color. My redone stitches aren’t even noticeable after I weave in the ends.
Hope this helps!
Anna

Patricia McKim

I have had trouble with decreasing on one side & increasing on other side to reach desired length can u help

Beth

Place a safety pin or stitch marker on one edge. Increase on that side and decrease on the non-marker edge to help you remember which edge you need to increase/decrease.

Sarah

I love this stitch. I used it to make scarves for gifts. They turned out so nice and the family I gave them to really liked them too.

LindseyD

i have a problemo…I increased to the size I wanted but my decreased half is too small ! ! what the heck have i done wrong?

Kucunest

I did the same thing. I frogged the entire decrease half and searched for tutorials. I realized when I did the 3 sl st decrease I then moved over to the next block without doing a block in the ch 3 immediately following the 3 sl st at the start of that row.
I hope that makes sense and helps solve your problem.

jbat

I tried this pattern with a small dish clothes to get the hang of it. Great instructions! Gonna try an rectangle afagan, with some verigated.

Katrina

Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I have been wanting to learn c2c since seeing all the beautiful projects being made from them. But I didn’t have wifi to watch video of how to do it. But your easy written tutorial has been a blessing! I can now c2c because of your sweet kindness to just write out instructions with pictures! Thank you so very much!!! I’m sharing this with everyone I know! Blessings!

Karen

I’m currently working a c2c that I had someone design for me. When I get to row 80 there are 80 blocks then when I get to rows 81-84 there are still 80 blocks. Then it starts to decrease. How do I keep the rows the same num of blocks for those rows? The lady that created the graph for me is on vacation & the blanket is for my daughter’s shower so I’m getting stressedout that I won’t finish it. Do I just slip stitch in the last block and turn? Any advice you can give is truly appreciated! This is my first c2c.

Marilyn

I am having the same problem,, not knowing how to keep the same number of blocks. and would also appreciate an answer
Thanks

Chrissy

You decrease on one side and increase on the the other. Akways decreasing on the same side. This will keep the stitches the same amount of times.

CrissyJo

has anyone tried this kind of ctc with single crochets or half double crochet?

LeeAnn Conaway

I have done this with HDC, since DC can get a little loose in c2c. However, I don’t think that single crochet would have enough height to work around that last stitch. I could be wrong, though- I haven’t tried it in SC.

Tami

I am trying to determine how much yarn I need for a twin, in 4 ply.

Penelope

Thank you for wonderful tutorial on c2c. My problem is I’m trying to do a gingham look. I’ve done the first block and on my chart I’ve draw I have to start the next 2 blocks on either side of my starting corner Bloch by working 5 rows and now to add next colour while decreasing 1 st block but I can’t manage to understand how to add the new colour first 4 Dc and then carry on decreasing the 1st block adding the next colour block on the otherside