Crocheting Blog

Crochet Basics: How to Choose the Best Crochet Hooks

The right crochet hook can make a project go so much better for the maker. When looking for the best crochet hooks, you need to consider the project type, the yarn you’re using, how you hold the hook, and any ergonomic needs you might have. There is no one “right” crochet hook but it’s possible to find the best crochet hooks for your own unique requirements.

Lion Brand Crochet hooksLion Brand 6 Crochet Hook Set

This guide highlights some of the best crochet hooks and helps you find the hooks that are best for you.

clover crochet hooks
Image via Craftsy Supplies Shop

The all-around best crochet hooks

If you’re looking for a simple answer as to the best crochet hooks then the general consensus from recent informal web surveys is that Clover Soft Touch Crochet Hooks are the best option. Here are some of the reasons that these crochet hooks are so popular:

• Soft rubber design is comfortable on the hands for prolonged periods of crochet
  • Unique shape is designed specifically for smooth crocheting
  • Combination of rubber and aluminum makes these durable, long-lasting crochet hooks
  • Affordable in comparison with other ergonomic crochet hooks

The ergonomic design that allows for lengthy crocheting without hand or wrist pain is the number one reason people favor these crochet hooks. Instagram’s ganondorf42 says that, “Clover Soft Touch is like crocheting with air.”

The Clover Soft Touch Crochet Hooks are available from Craftsy in sizes B – J. Clover also has a set of crochet hooks called Amour that come with brightly colored handles.

Shop Clover Soft Touch Crochet Hooks »

crochet hooks 2

Photo via Crochet Concupiscence

The best crochet hooks for the job

Although Clover Soft Touch hooks get top reviews, it’s also important to consider what you are crocheting. You may have a favorite set of general hooks that you use most of the time but still need to get other crochet hooks for specific types of projects. Many niche crochet techniques require special tools. Here are some examples:

Tunisian crochet requires a specific hook type that is longer than a standard crochet hook and sometimes uses a double-ended hook, like the Clover Double Ended Tunisian Crochet Hooks.

Thread crochet uses small steel crochet hooks.

Broomstick lace requires drawing loops up onto a larger hook; a big plastic crochet hook (like Lion Brand’s Speek Hook Size 35) is smoothest for this job.

Bullion stitch may require a smoother hook and/or a specific hook head for easier crocheting.

Wire crochet work can be hard on hooks, especially bamboo hooks, so have a separate set of hooks for this niche.

Get The Best Crochet Hooks, Fast!

Get Crochet Hooks You'll Love, Fast!

Find the best crochet hooks for your next project, at the right price.Shop Hooks Now »

The parts of a crochet hook

When choosing crochet hooks, it helps to understand the different parts of a crochet hook. Working from the top down, the anatomy of a crochet hook includes the head, throat, shaft, grip and handle. Let’s take a closer look at how some of these parts can differ from hook to hook.

inline vs tapered crochet hooks
Image via Fiber Flux

Head and throat

The head / throat of the crochet hook may be either inline or tapered. The popular Susan Bates brand of aluminum crochet hooks is an example of an inline crochet hook, while the he popular aluminum Boye hooks are tapered crochet hooks. Other brands may not be as well-defined as each of these, falling instead somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, but if you look closely you can see that most are either inline or tapered. Neither is better than the other, but crocheters typically find that they have a preference. It’s worth it to try both kinds and see which is best for you.

Shaft or grip

The shaft or grip of the crochet hook is where you will rest your thumb when you are crocheting. Many people find that they need to pay attention to this area of the crochet hook because a bumpy surface or one that’s too short can cause a lot of finger and wrist pain. You can see in the photo at the top of this post that the Clover Soft Touch has the rubber grip, which is one of the main reasons that people recommend these as the best crochet hooks.

Handle

Finally, you should consider the handle of the crochet hook. A standard crochet hook has a short, thin handle. This can get uncomfortable, which is why there are many different types of handles on the market today.

Atypical crochet hooks

For example, Susan Bates has a line of bamboo-handled crochet hooks specifically designed for thread crochet; those wider handles offer a better grip to make working with the small head of the hook an easier task. Addi Swing Hooks have a unique handle design based on ergonomics. Some crafty people also make their own thicker crochet handles using polymer clay around their favorite crochet hooks.

Occasionally, you may also come across a unique crochet hook that differs in some other area of the anatomy. For example, the Sharp Crochet Hook has a very pointed tip (at the top of the head) designed to poke holes in fabric specifically to be used for crocheting trim onto towels or blankets. There are also light-up crochet hooks with built-in lighting for crocheting in the dark.

The material of the crochet hook

crochet hooks

The last thing that you might want to consider is what material the crochet hook is made of. The most common materials for crochet hooks are aluminum, steel, plastic, bamboo, wood and glass. Of those, aluminum and plastic are most widely available, and glass is the least common.

Different materials will work better with different yarn projects. For example, a really slippery yarn such as silk bamboo might slide off of a glass or plastic crochet hook too quickly, so a slightly rougher wooden or bamboo crochet hook might be a better choice. The best crochet hooks are those that are right for the job as well as for the needs of the person doing the crochet work!

Get The Best Crochet Hooks, Fast!

Get Crochet Hooks You'll Love, Fast!

Lillian Tillman

Very interesting

Robin Crutchfield

There are a couple other bits of hook anatomy they forgot to mention, which I find important in choosing a hook. One I call the lip or tooth, which is the part that actually grasps the yarn you are pulling through a stitch, and sometimes bites through or separates your fiber (if it’s too rounded like Boye, it may not hold onto the yarn; if it’s too sharp like Bates, it may grasp only a portion of your fiber). The other part, for lack of a better term is the spreader. Some hooks have a wider area about an inch down on the shaft that spreads open your stitches as the hook rides through and returns making it easier not to get snarled up in too tight stitches.

Kim

I agree with your comment totally!! Can I ask what kind of hook you use?

Andrea

Boye has an ergonomic handle to use with the hooks you already own. Makes crocheting much easier.

Nathalie Schieffelin

The Clover crochet hooks looks like they would be beneficial to people with hand And wrists problems.

Laura

Another important factor is the fiber content of the yarn/thread. Plastic hooks generate a lot of friction when used with yarns that have plastic fiber content. As friction slows down the speed and ease of crocheting, metal or wood hooks tend to be better choices because most yarn contains some blend of acrylic or other plastic based fiber.

cara

Hello there, a very interesting read thank you 🙂 Hopefully you can help me with my question? My sister has an allergy to metal (except precious metal) she has asked me what would be the best material for a crochet hook, designed mainly for use with cotton yarn?
Thanks in advance,
Cara 🙂

LMichel

Lots of good information here. Cara, there are plastic and wooden crochet hooks your sister could use. If she can’t use one of the wooden or plastic hooks, she could try covering the handle part of the metal hook with something like polymer clay or use the Boye ergonomic handle that you can insert the metal hook into. I’m not allergic, but I did cover the handle of my metal hooks in polymer to make them easier to use and hold on to.
LMichel

Sherrie

Is there a type of project more suited to an inline hook, and another more suited to a tapered one?

Zainab Bhadmus

I am a beginner i

Zainab Bhadmus

I am a beginner in Crocheting. I have a 1.30mm crochet hook. What can I crochet with it? Can I crochet a hat of any size? If yes, I need the calculations please

Anne Leah

You can use crochet thread for 1.3mm size yarn. In the US, it is for crochet thread for size 10 steel hooks. Most yarns will have it on the label what size hook the yarn recommends. You can make a delicate hat or doilies or placemats. I first learned on a similar size hook and crochet thread. It is very detailed and dainty work. I enjoy working with cotton thread very much. Happy yarn adventures to you!

Patty WILLIAMS

I’m having a hard time using an inline L hook for the blanket I want to make which it calls for. I am a beginner, but am familiar with the different stitches it calls for. Can’t seem to make consistant stitches. Any suggestions?

Rema Tillitt

Unfortunately the answer to your problem is practice, practice, and then some more practice. You will get smoother, faster, and more even stitches with time. I usually make a scarf or two when learning a new stitch before I start a big project.

LindieLee

I have to replace my Clover thread pic which looks like a micro crochet hook and was wondering if you know if the Clover crochet hooks size 0 or 2 would actually be the same thing?

Roy

I love the clover hooks as well but I stuck one in my mouth the day to hold, and urgh they taste awful which made me wonder: Are they toxic or carcinogenetic? After we hold them for long times and could be absorbing toxins through our skin Anyone know?

Maribel

It’s plastic and isn’t intended to be put to in your mouth. If you plan on eating them, then yes, they are toxic.

Ergohooks

Ergonomic crochet hooks are definitely the way to go, it protects the long time use that can lead to wrist and hand issues, and it lets those with arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome to return to their love of crochet. Clovers are great hooks, and there are other affordable ergonomic crochet hooks available as well.

val

Has anyone purchased knit picks brand ergonomic handle crochet hooks? $10 for the set 2-6 mm.

Drake

I have very long hands and my fingers are long in terms of proportion. From my wrist to tip of middle finger is 22cm or 8 and 3/4 inches. Ergonomic hooks help but they are still usually not long enough. (I hold like a knife). So far the longest I have found are the Boye sets at 6″. Do you have any other recommendations?

Drake

I have an answer to my own question. I add polymer clay to the handle and can make it any length and shape I want. You don’t have to be crafty to do this. I recommend trying it on a few practice needles first. You simply add the clay to the shaft, including covering over and adding to the grip that is already on the hook and mold and shape it any way you want. You can roll it gently on a flat surface to make it smooth. Then you bake it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 130 Celsius. I’m very happy. I can now always buy my favourite hook and throat and make a handle that works for me!!

Hooked Goodies

Perfect article on how to choose a hook, very well explained and detailed post. Ergonomic hooks are best for aged crocheter also for people who have carpel tunnel or arthritis.

sara

Very well explained, now I am clear the concept of hook size and shape. Actually, I am a big fan of crocheting and I have knitted a lot of pattern and design. Sometimes I feel very pain in hand by your article I understand I have to buy an ergonomic set which is best for hand pain.