Bring the artistic twist of cables to your knitting projects with these amazing resources. Whether you are a beginning knitter or expert, you’ll find plenty of new inspiration and direction in these tutorials, tips, classes, and patterns, many of them free.
Start with cable basics and move quickly on to more intricate techniques with plenty of free patterns to experiment with.
Are you a beginning knitter nervous about trying cables? With the tutorials and classes listed below you’ll soon see how easy and fun cables really are.
- Learn How to Knit Cables
- Explorations in Cables class with Patty Lyons
- Learn How to Knit Boot Toppers: FREE Video Tutorial
- Fast Knitting Project: Create a Rib & Cable Cowl: FREE Video Tutorial
- Crisscross: Cable Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Twists and Turns: Beginner Cable Knit Scarf Patterns
After you’ve learned the basics, you’ll be eager to discover the wide world of cables in these posts, classes, patterns!
- Tips for Knitting Cables
- Everything You’ll Ever Need to Master the Honeycomb Cable Knitting Stitch
- Bluprint Fix-It: Fixing Mis-crossed Cables in Knitting
- Gorgeous Cables, Luxurious Yarn and FREE Patterns — What Are You Waiting For?
- 10 Twisting & Turning FREE Cable Knit Hat Patterns
- Crazy for Knitted Cable Patterns
These general resources include cable-specific tips and tutorials:
- To The Left-Handed Knitters: You Can Knit Your Own Way
- How to Buy Enough Yarn for Your Project
- Need-to-Know Knitting Abbreviations
- The Ins and Outs of Two-Color Knitting Techniques
- Ins & Outs of Grafting with Anne Hanson — a FREE mini-class
- Mastering Stitchwork: Reversible Stitch Patterns class with Melissa Leapman
- Save Our Stitches: Fixing Knitting Mistakes class with Ann Budd
- Seaming Handknits class with Chris Bylsma
When you feel comfortable with cables, it’s time to start trying your own designs by adapting existing patterns or making your own. This will come sooner than your think! My first experiments with cables were with a hat I designed as I learned!
- Creative Cabled Necklines with Fiona Ellis — a FREE mini-class
- Mastering Cable Design class with Fiona Ellis
- Custom Cabled Pullovers class with Carla Scott
- Choose Your Own Sweater Adventure class with Eunny Jang
The combination of closed loops and cable crosses create the intricate weave of Celtic cables.
- Celtic Knot Knitting: Fiona Ellis Reveals the Mystery Behind the Celtic Cable!
- Celtic Cables class with Carol Feller
- Infinite Cables class with Melissa Leapman
- New Twists in Cables: Fingerless Mittens class with Fiona Ellis
- Irish Knit Sweaters Patterns that Feature Twisting Celtic Cables
- Twists and Turns of Aran Sweater Design
- FREE ShiFio’s Celtic Cable Afghan Pattern USA
- FREE Entwined Fingerless Mitts Pattern
- FREE iPad Mini Cabled Cover Pattern
No cable needle? No problem! With these mock or faux cables, twisted stitches,and other techniques, you’ll get the look of cables with without the need for cable needles.
- Mock Cables: The Easier Way to Create the Cable Look
- Do the Twist: The Left Twist Stitch
- Five Fancy Rib Patterns: Strong & Sturdy Edition
- Bavarian Twisted Stitches: Projects and Techniques class with Donna Druchanas
- FREE ML184 Men’s Jacket Cardi Pattern
- FREE Painted Feet Socks Pattern
- FREE Prep School Cat Pattern
- FREE A Touch of Lace Pattern