Looks like vanilla, tastes like chocolate: white-chocolate buttercream is the world’s best party trick. Surprise your guests with this delicious version from the Man About Cake himself, Joshua John Russell.
Yield: enough to fill and frost a 10″ round cake
Pro Tip: You want to begin this recipe a day ahead by making the ganache and letting it set up completely.
1. To make the ganache, place the chocolate in a heatproof glass bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Keep your eye on this — it can rise out of the pan and spill over. When it starts boiling, immediately pour the hot cream over the chocolate.
3. Cover with plastic or a plate, and let sit for 1 minute.
4. Uncover the mixture and whisk until smooth. If you still see small lumps, you can microwave the mixture for 30 seconds at a time until smooth.
5. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ganache and let it sit overnight at room temperature.
6. Place the cooled ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment. With the mixer on medium speed, add the butter about ½ cup at a time.
7. Turn the mixer off and add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla bean paste and salt. Mix on low speed until the buttercream is smooth.