If you love citrus-y flavors, you definitely want to fill your next layer cake with lemon curd. Try this sweet-and-tangy recipe from Joshua John Russell and get ready to pucker up.
Yield: enough to fill one 8″ cake
1. In a cold saucepan, whisk cornstarch and lemon juice until the cornstarch is broken up and there are no lumps.
2. Add the zest and heat on medium-high, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture thickens.
3. Add the butter and sugar, and heat until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Temper the yolks by adding a small amount of the hot liquid and whisking until incorporated.
5. Add the yolks to the pan and cook on low, stirring constantly, for 10 to 12 minutes until the curd is thick. Transfer the finished curd into a bowl or storage container.
6. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Cover the container/bowl and refrigerate the curd overnight before using.