Rice Bag

from Shiny Happy World

Add your comment:

chriswood on craftsy.com
chriswood  December 13, 2013 1:15 PM

I make these with a muslin inner rice holder with three "chambers". I also make several sizes since I have arthritis--back, hands, knees, etc.. For the outer fabric I use flannel. A mix of 1/2 long grain white rice and 1/2 hard red winter wheat makes a good filler. (This suggestion was given to by someone who is no longer in the business. It is a very long lasting mix with multiple trips to the microwave.) Bag should not be overfilled as this will hamper its molding to the affected area.

MJ511 on craftsy.com
MJ511  October 7, 2012 5:07 PM

I made one of these out of the leg on a pair of my husbands old BDU's and it works great!

coops63163713 on craftsy.com
coops63163713  February 17, 2014 9:35 AM

Great idea for a more 'manly' rice bag and a great way to recycle those BDUs!

Carol Liston on craftsy.com
Carol Liston  December 5, 2012 2:24 PM

Received one as a gift and absolutely loved it. Have made several as gifts myself. I do use cotton for the bag and then make a slipcover of flannel for the outside. I have heard that 100% cotton is safer in the microwave. Love your pattern.

jackie_va6 on craftsy.com
jackie_va6  June 5, 2012 3:09 PM

Many moons ago, I use to make these out of tube socks, fill 2/3-3/4 full of rice, sew the end shut then attach loop handles on each end....great for your back and your neck.....one year I made flannel covers for the. and gave them for Christmas. Like your ideas of making sort of a pillow. Thanks for sharing!

Wendi Gratz on craftsy.com
Wendi Gratz  June 6, 2012 5:41 AM

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :-)

Calama on craftsy.com
Calama  June 13, 2012 7:04 AM

I made a few of these, one for each member of the family, and they are great. Thanks Wendi.

kikismama on craftsy.com
kikismama  June 13, 2012 6:23 PM

I'm wondering if this will work as an ice bag. I'm always having to ice my knees and the ones in pharmacies are expensive.

Mary T. Phelan on craftsy.com
Mary T. Phelan  July 28, 2014 6:14 PM

Hi Kikismama...just read the comment under the pic where somebody made one and yes she did put it in the freezer for that purpose!

Rice Bag Pattern