Eternity Knot Paper Pieced Quilt Block

from Piece By Number

Add your comment:

AR Grover on craftsy.com
AR Grover  November 25, 2013 8:28 PM

I like this pattern.. I think I have seen it in one of my other books though and I think I want to use it in a design. ..though more towards jewelry.. hmmm.. :) maybe with some silver and gold.. or brass and tin to start with :)

jrjagal978979 on craftsy.com
jrjagal978979  October 7, 2012 2:56 AM

I've been looking for a design like this...Can't wait to get started.

pennykeddie on craftsy.com
pennykeddie  April 24, 2012 10:33 AM

I love paper piecing so I will definetly try this one.

sew grandma on craftsy.com
sew grandma  April 25, 2012 4:24 AM

I would love to get this pattern - but just wondering how much is shipping/ handling?

piecinlove on craftsy.com
piecinlove  April 25, 2012 10:11 AM

you will be able to download the pdf pattern right from Craftsy after you pay for it.

dlhilovet632315 on craftsy.com
dlhilovet632315  May 6, 2012 9:02 PM

Would I be able to make this one pattern for a queen size bed quilt

PieceByNumber on craftsy.com
PieceByNumber  May 11, 2012 2:14 PM

In principle yes, but you will need some way to enlarge the pattern to a very large size. I'm not sure how feasible that would be, but you could inquire at your local Staples or other copyshop.

EweWho on craftsy.com
EweWho  July 27, 2012 0:26 PM

I have this pattern in a book by Margaret Whitehead. I took her class in the mid-80s and made the quilt. The design is approximately 40x60 inches. You can add borders to make it as large as you'd like.

Gailsquilts on craftsy.com
Gailsquilts  September 17, 2012 7:00 PM

Thanks. I had hope to find the finished size somewhere.

pattivl on craftsy.com
pattivl  May 9, 2012 0:57 PM

I am very new to quilting. My question is, you say your directions as is make a 6" block. Is that what your black, red & gold example is? In other words does this pattern need several of these blocks connected or by enlarging the block will I just have one in the center like shown. Hope my question makes some sense to you!

PieceByNumber on craftsy.com
PieceByNumber  May 11, 2012 2:06 PM

Hi Patti,

If you piece the pattern as provided, you will have a 6" finished block which is the entire knot. In the black and gold example, the knot block is set on point and finished with half-square triangles to make a larger square.

You can enlarge or reduce the block to any size you like by using the percentages table included in the pattern. If you want a very large size knot block, you will need to take the pattern to a copyshop that can print out on larger sizes of paper. One of my customers took the pattern to Staples, who only charged her $5.00 to enlarge to 36" square (though I've no idea if this would be true everywhere).

Hope this helps! Beth

Dindrane on craftsy.com
Dindrane  May 21, 2012 3:38 AM

Lovely example and such a versatile block!

I can't decide if I'm going to use blues and whites or all Japanese fabrics... maybe one quilt of each!

reblmnn831744 on craftsy.com
reblmnn831744  July 14, 2012 11:57 AM

I was thinking Japanese fabrics too!

alyna on craftsy.com
alyna  July 8, 2012 3:57 AM

bellissimo!!!

SantaMaria on craftsy.com
SantaMaria  August 18, 2012 3:55 PM

My daughter's best friend is getting married in November. My daughter is making her 1st quilt now and it is a tee shirt quilt and she is doing fabulously. My question is do you think that a beginner could handle this with some motherly advice?

PieceByNumber on craftsy.com
PieceByNumber  August 24, 2012 0:08 AM

Hi SantaMaria,

Glad to hear your daughter is learning to quilt and doing well! For learning how to paper piece, I would suggest that she first try an easy log cabin block until she gets the hang of sewing on the paper with the fabric underneath. After one or two blocks, she should be able to manage the Eternity Knot pattern with patience, and with guidance from you. The individual sections are easy to sew, and as long as she takes her time to be sure the sections are sewn together in the right order and orientation, she should be fine!

Happy sewing!

jean95552 on craftsy.com
jean95552  July 8, 2013 8:25 PM

I made my first paper piecing block yesterday. I tols my husband I was 16 hours & 5000 more gray hairs into a completed block that was incorrect but acceptable. I tossed one quarter block after 3 rip outs, put one aside and put 8 together with some color reversals. It is hard to think unside down and backwards. As usual I did not read directions, if there was directions, and dived right in. When, not if, I do paper piecing again I will clor mark my pattern on the side I will be sewing in.. With all the effort I had little but learned a lot and was pleased with the small return.

PieceByNumber on craftsy.com
PieceByNumber  July 11, 2013 5:18 AM

Welcome to paper piecing, Jean! As I mentioned above to SantaMaria, Eternity Knot is not ideal for someone's first try at paper piecing. That you ended up with a block you're pleased with, despite some frustration and re-sewing, is really commendable -- great work!

And yes, it's a terrific idea to mark the foundations with your color choices. The pattern pieces are generically marked Color A, Color B, and background. But if one takes a minute or two to further mark them with appropriately colored pencils or markers, it's soooo much easier to keep things straight this way. Just a dot of the right color in each area is all you need!

Eternity Knot Paper Pieced Quilt Block Pattern