Basic Skills Necessary:
I wanted to make something to brighten up my sewing area! I love the simple strip piecing of the spools and sewing machine and how they look against the crisp white background. This project was great for using up some scraps and gave me an opportunity to practice some free motion quilting.
Check out some of my other patterns here...
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- For the spools: Red - 5 strips of various red fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Orange - 5 strips of various orange fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Yellow - 5 strips of various yellow fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Blue - 5 strips of various blue fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Green - 5 strips of various green fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Purple - 5 strips of various purple fabric scraps measuring 5" x 1.5" each Or your choice of 6 colours (I have no purple, so I used pinks) Gray - 12 strips measuring 5.5" x 1.5" each
- For the machine: Neutrals or Low Volume - 11 strips of a variety of neutrals measuring 16" x 1.5"
- For the background: White - 1/2 Yard
- Backing Fabric: Enough to cover 22" x 32" area.
- Binding Fabric: 3 strips, crosscut from the width of a 42" wide fabric in your choice of colour or pattern.
You Will Also Need:
Read blog or news article about this pattern »
- Quilt batting of your choice in a size that is at least 22" x 32".
- Thread - White, gray, beige and each of the spool colours chosen.
- Seam Ripper and Scissors
- Rotary cutter, Acrylic Ruler and Cutting Mat
- Iron and Ironing Board