Through the Woods Hooded Neckwarmer

from While they Play

Add your comment:

georgina on craftsy.com
georgina  September 8, 2014 1:27 PM

i have material ..i cannot download pattern??? thanks diane

Lynne Pasmen on craftsy.com
Lynne Pasmen  September 7, 2014 8:20 AM

I am almost finished my project and do not understand instructions for buttonhole placket...specifically the WS of buttonhole. What is Cable CO 3 st. I am uncertain as to what this means.

Judi Lentz on craftsy.com
Judi Lentz  September 8, 2014 7:44 AM

a cable cast on a a specific way of casting on stitches:
Personally, I just knit on 3 stitches, then continued with the rest of the row.
Cable cast-on
Step 1: Start with a slip knot on your left hand needle.
Step 2: Knit on one stitch (work steps 2 and 3 from the knit-on cast on to do this).
Step 3: Knit between the two stitches on your needle.
Step 4: Slip the new stitch from the right to the left hand needle.

DearMsJul1612371 on craftsy.com
DearMsJul1612371  August 29, 2014 7:25 PM

Does this have to be worked on circular needles?

jangeltra2699285 on craftsy.com
jangeltra2699285  August 28, 2014 7:56 PM

I know this is an incredibly basic question, but is the beginning part knit in the round, or using a magic loop method? I think I'm confusing myself haha

Judi Lentz on craftsy.com
Judi Lentz  September 8, 2014 7:40 AM

This pattern is knit flat, not in the round.

Cowgirlca444870 on craftsy.com
Cowgirlca444870  August 27, 2014 5:59 AM

I'm a little confused about the needle size. I can't seem to find 10.5 and 24" circular needles. Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this or give a suggestion on a different needle size?? I'm anxious to get started on this project. I'm so in love with it and "winter is coming!"

Cowgirlca444870 on craftsy.com
Cowgirlca444870  August 27, 2014 6:00 AM

Also the size 3 needles, are those soluble points or just regular straight needles?

Cowgirlca444870 on craftsy.com
Cowgirlca444870  August 27, 2014 6:01 AM

*double points

jangeltra2699285 on craftsy.com
jangeltra2699285  August 28, 2014 7:56 PM

I found 10 and 24" circular ones at Joann and Michael's, but they also sell them on Amazon.

DearMsJul1612371 on craftsy.com
DearMsJul1612371  August 30, 2014 3:35 PM

Do they have to be 24"? Mine are 36"

Cowgirlca444870 on craftsy.com
Cowgirlca444870  September 5, 2014 10:33 AM

I was able to order the 10.5 24" circs on line from Joann's and got $1.99 shipping and the needles were on sale. Just got them yesterday an I'm super excited to get started after work today!! Thank you do much!!!

Judi Lentz on craftsy.com
Judi Lentz  September 8, 2014 2:27 PM

The length of the cable (24" or 36") dos not matter, they just suggest a cable length for the number of stitches you are dealing with. a 16" would be too short, a 36" is technically longer than needed to hold the stitches, but if that's what you have, feel free to use it.
There are a lot of stitches and it is a heavier yarn, so doing this on a straight needle would be cumbersome and heavy; in my opinion.

Dea on craftsy.com
Dea  August 26, 2014 8:35 PM

I love this pattern so far in making. But it am confused..when you start the rib it's on the INSIDE stitches but do you start at far corner of the left and right 20 sts or in the corner where it connects? Hope this makes sense!

Judi Lentz on craftsy.com
Judi Lentz  September 8, 2014 7:45 AM

I was confused too, and the only way to get the count that it mentioned in the pattern when picking up was to go all the way to the end of the rows on both ends.

LizCat4 on craftsy.com
LizCat4  August 1, 2014 5:32 PM

Loving this pattern so far! I can't wait to get my yarn in the mail!

chris.fer1962060 on craftsy.com
chris.fer1962060  Last response: July 10, 2014 6:56 AM

Hello. I have a question on the beginning of the pattern. Row 1 states: (K4, P4) to end. K4. With a cast on of 148 stitches, the (K4, P4) can only be done 18 times which leaves 4 stitches at the end of the row. Are these the 4 stitches for K4?
I have done the pattern as described above and it is not producing a rib edge (if that's what the goal is). Am I doing this right? Please help! Thanks.

LizCat4 on craftsy.com
LizCat4  August 1, 2014 5:31 PM

oh weird, my pattern doesn't say that, so maybe it got updated? But if no one has said anything. It is (k4p4 to end and then k4).

pdwoods721696765 on craftsy.com
pdwoods721696765  July 7, 2013 6:41 PM

I love this and the other ideas to add to it are wonderful. I may give this a try to have for this winter.

thumper5316 on craftsy.com
thumper5316  March 2, 2013 6:34 PM

I made this a couple of years ago. It knit up fast and was easy. Living in Minnesota I wanted something warm and this keeps the chill out very nicely. One change that I made was to knit some eyelets under the hood fold and threaded a matching cord with pompoms on the ends so that I can tie it up tighter when the wind is really blowing.

grywiklun1041993 on craftsy.com
grywiklun1041993  November 9, 2012 0:35 PM

Ohhh, I like this pattern :)

Bekaht88 on craftsy.com
Bekaht88  January 6, 2013 8:11 PM

I sent this pattern to my mother and it came out beautifully! She added fleece lining that helps with wind chill!

Stitcher75 on craftsy.com
Stitcher75  January 20, 2013 9:22 PM

Fleece lining is a great idea. I can also picture the ribmade with eyelash yarn for a "fur" edge.

linmjenk on craftsy.com
linmjenk  October 22, 2012 3:25 PM

Is there a place where us cake bakers can buys these pretty knitted things? I want one of these!

Kalurah Hudson on craftsy.com
Kalurah Hudson  November 26, 2012 5:00 PM

You can purchase all of my Ready-Made items here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/whiletheyplay?ref=si_shop

mscindylu843806 on craftsy.com