Basic Skills Necessary:
- Knit, Purl, Increase, Decrease, Cast-on, Bind-off, I-cord
The holidays are such festive occasions! Fond memories of Christmas or Hanukkah are conjured up for many of us. I've always loved hearing stories of a Christmas mouse, so I thought I would design a knitted one. Then one became two and then I thought why not Hanukkah mice, as well?! And these adorable Christmas and Hanukkah Mice were born! My Christmas Mice hold a candy cane and jingle bell. My Hanukkah Mice hold a menorah candle and a bag of gelt. All four are dressed in their lovely holiday outfits. Standing approx. 9" tall (without those ears), the mice are knit with regular #4 worsted wt. yarn (approx. 145 yds. ea.) with a small amount of short eyelash furry yarn for their fuzzy hair! Their outfits are also made using worsted wt. yarn (approx. 65 yds. for the dress, approx, 60-80 yds. for the shirt and yarmulke or Santa hat. They would look lovely in your home during the holidays or as a special holiday gift for a child!
Gauge is not critical for this project. Work
tightly enough to ensure that the stuffing will not show through the stitches.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- Mice approx. 9" tall (without ears).
- For either MOUSE (undressed): #4-worsted wt. yarn...145 yds. (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice: White, or Silver Heather) HAIR: Small amount (Loops & Threads Luxurious Fur: Rabbit) For DRESS: #4-worsted wt. yarn...65 yds. (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice: Cranberry) OR (Red Heart Super Saver: Blue) For SHIRT: #4-worsted wt. yarn: Main Color...45 yds. (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice: Cranberry) OR (Red Heart Super Saver: Blue) Contrasting Color...8 yds. (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice: White) OR (Bernat Super Value: Kelly) For SANTA HAT: #4-worsted wt. yarn: Main Color...25 yds. (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice: Cranberry) TRIM: Small amount (Loops & Threads Luxurious Fur: Rabbit) For YARMULKE: #4-worsted wt. yarn...4 yds. (Red Heart Super Saver: Blue) For CANDY CANE: #4-worsted wt. yarn: Red...14 yds., White...14 yds. Two 12" pipe cleaners For CANDLE: #4-worsted wt. yarn: White...20 yds. Small amount black yarn for wick
- Straight Knitting Needles: Size 4 (3.5mm) (For Mice) Size 6 (4mm) (For Clothes) Double Pointed Needles (for tail & candy cane): Size 6 (4mm)
You Will Also Need:
- 9mm toy safety eyes Purchased bells (1 small, 1 large) Purchased bag of gelt 1/8" white ribbon (small amount) Purchased decorative buttons Small Amount Black Yarn/Embroidery Floss Large-Eyed Blunt Needle Long Straight Pins Removable Stitch Markers Polyester Fiberfill Stuffing
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice