I like to collect pretty things, but catching actual butterflies isn't going about it my way. I prefer to capture their shape and beauty using a Japanese butterfly lace, accentuated with a purled background and arranged to adorn a shawl.
This triangular shawl is knitted with increases in the middle and along the edges. The pattern is charted. Yarn requirements are variable. Use needle size that gives you a nice lacy effect. Two versions are included, one with butterflies everywhere and one with a purled start, both can easily be adjusted in size.
Gauge is not crucial, use needles to obtain a desired lace effect.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- Yellow shawl is knitted in Madelinetosh Prairie 100% Merino, 840 yd/768 m per 114g skein it used 91 grams knitted on 3 mm (US 21/2) needles. Gauge: 22 stitches = 10 cm in Butterflies chart. Blocked size is 145 x 70 cm (57 x 28 inches).
- Purple shawl is knitted in Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light 100% merino, 420 yd/384 m per 100g skein it used 103 grams knitted on 3.5 mm (US 4) needles. Gauge: 18 stitches = 10 cm in Butterflies chart. Blocked size is 125 x 65 cm (49 x 26 inches).
- Pale pink shawl is knitted in Malabrigo Silky Merino 51% Silk, 49% Merino, 150 yd/137 m per 50g skein it used 80 grams knitted on size 4 mm (US 6) needles. Gauge: 16 stitches = 10 cm in Butterflies chart. Blocked size is 105 x 50 cm (41 x 20 inches).
- Knitting needle, the size that gives you and your yarn a lacy fabric.
- Yarn requirements: 240-700 yards of yarn.