This is a great beginner project because it's made up of 3 rectangles. Depending on which closure you choose (there are 3), you can get away with only knowing how to knit & purl! You can also make all the errors of a novice knitter - wonky cast ons & cast offs, wobbly stitches, etc. - and you can hide them (& your ends) away in the seams. :)
For more experienced knitters, this is a great, practical little pattern to use up leftover sock yarn.
What might you keep in your pouch?
* Attach it to your laptop bag's strap & keep a USB stick, internet dongle, or other small accessories in it.
* Put your knitting notions in it & toss it in your WIP bag.
* Put your MP3 player in it & go out for a jog!
* Put a few notes in it & go out dancing.
* Slide it onto your guitar's headstock to keep your picks.
30 stitches and 36 rows = 4 inches in stocking stitch
But don't worry if you can't get gauge, the pattern gives you directions to help you work to the right size!
I learnt to knit over 10 years ago by watching videos on the internet. Now I design for a living. So go on, give it a go! :)