Crochet Reversible Baby Blanket

from Sheila Zachariae

Add your comment:

Hollie Stevens on craftsy.com
Hollie Stevens  July 30, 2014 7:40 PM

Im curious to know, if i buy your pattern can the backing process be used on say, a shell stitch blanket? i am wanting to back one i will be making for a friends baby and would prefer to use that stitch.

Sheila Zachariae  August 1, 2014 6:13 AM

Hi Hollie! Absolutely!

Sparkliie on craftsy.com
Sparkliie  June 26, 2014 9:45 AM

I'm interested in buying this pattern but wondering if anyone has washed this blanket? I am concerned about one side, (crochet) or the other side (fabric) shrinking, and distorting or pulling the opposing side out of shape. Or the crochet side getting saggy after washing. What would be the "care instructions" to include with this as a baby gift? Do you prewash your fabric side first? Thanks for any replies.

Sheila Zachariae  June 27, 2014 5:54 AM

Hi Sparkliie! I have made many of these blankets as gifts and custom orders. I have also sold hundreds of patterns. It is my #1 selling pattern. If you follow the instructions in the pattern, it is all machine wash and dry. I do not prewash my fabric, but you certainly could. I have received many notes from customers that they have washed the blanket without and problem and even passed it down to younger siblings. I hope this helps. - sheila

Sparkliie on craftsy.com
Sparkliie  June 27, 2014 9:01 AM

Thank you for your reply. It does put my mind at ease. I plan to use flannel as my fabric part of the pattern, and I do know from past experience, it can shrink quite a bit if not pre washed.

Leanne Farley on craftsy.com
Leanne Farley  May 11, 2014 10:37 PM

ok I am TOTALLY confused...how does the finished blanket come out looking like repeat circle stitches by repeating rows 1 and 2 which are the same single crochet stitch?

Sheila Zachariae  May 16, 2014 5:42 AM

By using three strands together and the large hook. Single crochet in any weight yarn or hook size look like circles. Using the large hook emphasizes this effect. I hope this helps.

craftdarling on craftsy.com
craftdarling  September 10, 2013 7:45 PM

This may be a stupid question, but do you fold the edges of the fabric in so that there is a clean edge that will not fray?

Sheila Zachariae  September 13, 2013 6:18 AM

Great question! Yes you so.

Wookie on craftsy.com
Wookie  July 9, 2013 2:32 PM

I am stumped by the instructions for this pattern. Row 1 and 2, it is just plain single crochet?

Sheila Zachariae  July 9, 2013 7:27 PM

You are correct. This is a simple single crochet pattern for beginners.

Erika in TX on craftsy.com
Erika in TX  July 9, 2013 8:30 AM

Do you think this blanket will be too heavy for a newborn?

Sheila Zachariae  July 9, 2013 7:28 PM

I have made many for newborns and get many special orders for this as baby shower gifts. If you feel it is too heavy, you can certainly adjust the yarn and hook size for a lighter weight blanket.

TheReluctantNovice on craftsy.com
TheReluctantNovice  May 10, 2013 9:48 AM

Thanks so much!

TheReluctantNovice on craftsy.com
TheReluctantNovice  May 3, 2013 3:30 PM

I am having trouble finding " Hello Kitty Hot Pink " button thread for my blanket. Would it be ok to use a good quality all purpose thread and sew with two strands instead of one? Thanks!

Sheila Zachariae  May 6, 2013 5:24 PM

I'm sorry to be getting to you so late. I just found your note. That is exactly what I do when I cannot find button thread!

yuna3022 on craftsy.com
yuna3022  March 28, 2013 2:29 PM

I have already made several of these blankets. This is now my go-to gift for someone that is having a new baby. I also made some a few months ago for a silent auction for charity and they went over well. Thanks for the great idea!

Sheila Zachariae  April 5, 2013 6:37 AM

I am so happy you are enjoying the pattern. Isn't your gift greeted with ooo's and ahhh's at the shower? It is expected of me, when I attend one, that I knit or crochet something, and this is my fav!

susiebk1@yahoo.com on craftsy.com
susiebk1@yahoo.com  March 27, 2013 1:16 PM

I love the pattern. I just wish you would be more upfront and tell people BEFORE they purchase it that you will not allow them to sell any items made from the pattern :(

Sheila Zachariae  April 5, 2013 6:35 AM

The copyright information is listed on the pattern page in the Pattern Description box.

ragrigg1213291 on craftsy.com
ragrigg1213291  February 15, 2013 10:34 AM

Hi Shelia,
I LOVE this reversible blanket...can you tell me where to find the fabric and yarn for the one with the mopeds/brown and red yarn?
It would make a perfect gift for my new grandson due next month.
Thanks!
Ruth Ann

Sheila Zachariae  February 18, 2013 7:25 PM

Ruth Ann, I bought that fabric in a local shop here in Omaha. The designer is Henry Glass Tuscadelphia. If you try an fabric search on Etsy.com or google, you might be able to find it! I hope this helps. The yarn is from Hobby Lobby, I Love This Yarn.

amj2352566685 on craftsy.com
amj2352566685  January 29, 2013 5:00 PM

Shelia,
I love crocheting, knitting & quilting. THANK YOU for putting together the crocheting & quilting!!! I always thought of doing this but never really knew how to accomplish this feat ;)

Sheila Zachariae  January 30, 2013 4:48 PM

Thank you for the very kind words! I'm a huge lover of yarn AND fabric. I'm working on some baskets lined with fabric! :)

Nancers121 on craftsy.com
Nancers121  November 11, 2012 7:10 PM

Where can you buy the kit?

Sheila Zachariae  November 13, 2012 5:37 PM

Hi Nancers121, thank you for the note. If you visit my Etsy shop here http://www.etsy.com/shop/sheilalikestoknit?section_id=6941497
you can view my fabrics. If you like any of the selections, I'm happy to put a kit together for you of yarn color that you might like. You can send me a note through Etsy and I'd be happy to give you prices with yarn. I'm sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. Sheila

NehaC on craftsy.com
NehaC  December 31, 2012 11:22 PM

H Sheila!i love this pattern and really like the colors on the 2nd blanket you have pictured. It is the light colored yarn with the pattern that looks like it has leaves on it. Such a great neutral color. Can you tell me what color and brand of yarn that is and the fabric? Would fabric.com carry it? Please let me know where I can find it. Thanks!

Sheila Zachariae  January 10, 2013 8:38 PM

My apologies for being so late in responding! I just saw your note. The brand of yarn is Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn in cream. I'm afraid the fabric was sent to be by a customer for a custom blanket, so I don't have any info on that for you.

InAnEggshell on craftsy.com
InAnEggshell  October 20, 2012 11:43 AM

Hi I'm very new to all this. I have knit for a while now but never crochet. I was wondering if there was a name for this pattern so maybe I can watch a video of how to do it. I saw something I think might be it but not sure "granny's square"?? Sorry for the silly question. Thanks!!

Sheila Zachariae  October 20, 2012 10:36 PM

Thank you for the note. Not a silly question at all. I do not give out too much detailed information about my patterns other than what is provided on the pattern page. I can tell you it is an advanced beginner pattern. If you go on YouTube, you can find many videos on how to crochet. I am always available to help my customers, just send me a note! Good luck.

Bethany123 on craftsy.com
Bethany123  October 12, 2012 10:51 PM

My favorite baby project yarn is a 3 weight, but has 404 yards/skein. Could I still use it? What kind of adjustments might I need to make? Can't wait to get started! Thanks!

Sheila Zachariae  October 14, 2012 6:49 PM

Bethany, I've just noticed your note! You'd need to hold about 6 or more strands together throughout to achieve the same effect.

JeanneStein on craftsy.com
JeanneStein  October 5, 2012 4:20 AM

Oops, that comment below is me, but I wasn't logged in.

stein901473 on craftsy.com
stein901473  October 5, 2012 4:14 AM

This is a beautiful project. I am interested in the pattern, but from the comments below, it sounds like it is going to be very heavy based on how much yarn is used. The part I am most interested in is the sewing part as I think lining one side of a babyghan with a soft flannel would be nice. Do you think the sewing part of the pattern is adaptable to other blanket designs?

Sheila Zachariae  October 6, 2012 7:08 AM

Thank you for the note! I can assure you that the blanket is not too heavy! I have used flannel many times and many of my customers request it for a custom blanket. I am working on a entrelac pattern and plan on using fabric on the other side. So, in answer to your question, yes I think it is. I hope this helps.

Maja Enad on craftsy.com
Maja Enad  June 5, 2012 2:54 AM

Need to know a bit about the yarn to be used for this project. I understand the pattern calls for 3 skeins of 355yd. yarn each, right? Will all of the 355yds. be used up, or lots left over? Have found some yarn in one of our local wool shops that would be suitable, but each skein contains 210 yds. only, which means I would have to purchase 2 skeins of each strand used; if I will be using 3 different colors, that means 6 skeins to be bought; even by using only 2 different colors, I would still need 3(+1) skeins of one color and 2 skeins of the second color (again, 6 skeins).
Another question: Can one use only 2 strands of a heavier yarn? If so, what weight of yarn would you suggest?
Want to start this project yesterday, please advise asap. Maja Enad

Sheila Zachariae  June 6, 2012 7:17 AM

Maja, thanks for the note! You will have leftover yarn, IF you are following my instructions on yarn weight (US medium worsted weight (4)) and yardage. If you purchase the yarn from your local shop, 210 yds per skein will not be enough, You will have to purchase more skeins. I would suggest buying as much, or more, from your local shop.....if you have remaining skeins left over, just return them. You can use only 2 strands of a heavier yarn, bulky weight (5) and maybe go down one hook size. I hope this helps!

MadameSexyPants on craftsy.com
MadameSexyPants  June 10, 2012 3:11 PM

If you don't mind me butting in :)...I have made this crochet blanket for years with a P size hook and 2 skeins of yarn and it's lovely! I am so excited to add fabric to it (and am wondering why on earth I didn't think of this before!) Have just shown my hubs and he was impressed and liked it as well! Thanks for the pattern!

Sheila Zachariae  June 12, 2012 9:06 PM

You are so very welcome! Thanks for the note!

mayala on craftsy.com
mayala  March 17, 2014 8:22 AM

Sheila, I love love this pattern so easy and versatile! Have gotten many compliments at baby showers! Thanks!

LearntoCrochet on craftsy.com
LearntoCrochet  June 18, 2012 8:06 AM

Can you give more details in regards to the sewing aspect of attaching the fabric to the yarn? Does it require using a sewing machine? Thanks!

LearntoCrochet on craftsy.com
LearntoCrochet  June 18, 2012 8:14 AM

Disregard my question. I guess "people" should read the entire description. :)

Sheila Zachariae  June 18, 2012 8:12 PM

No worries! I am guilty of doing the same thing!

heatherini1976@gmail.com on craftsy.com
heatherini1976@gmail.com  August 27, 2012 9:22 AM

Im not very good at crocheting but I do have some blankets that are crocheted that I have bought at uard sales and thrift stores...I have been thinking of a way to fix the crocheted blankets my kids love them but complain about there toes gpong through the holes
They will be excited. Thanks for sharing am awesome idea...I have got a project on my hands....lol

Sheila Zachariae  August 27, 2012 10:36 AM

I love the "kitchy" yard sale and thrift store crocheted blankets! So very unique and loved!

grammadolly on craftsy.com
grammadolly  August 27, 2012 4:46 PM

My adult daughter was asking if I could crochet this type of blanket for her. I told her I would try to find a patern for it. So excited to find your blanket. I am a beginner and want to know how I can make this bigger maybe twice the size. Can I just double the yarn and fabric? Thank you so much. Just want you to know I admire your talent.

Sheila Zachariae  August 28, 2012 6:09 AM

Grammadolly, thank you for the note and kind words! Double your yarn and fabric noting that you may have to run the fabric through the sewing machine before hand stitching to the blanket. If it will be so big as that, I would avoid sewing a seam up the middle of the fabric and opt for two seams....one on each side. I hope I'm making sense here! I don't know if you are a sewer (the stitching kind, not the collecting rain kind!)

Shamber on craftsy.com
Shamber  October 18, 2012 7:03 PM

I am in love with this blanket . I am a beginner on both aspects but feel its easy enough to do for a beginner.could I make it a few inches bigger for a toddler without actually doubling it?

Sheila Zachariae  October 18, 2012 11:16 PM

Thank you for the note and kind words! You can certainly make it a bit larger by a couple inches on either sides, but not much more than that.

eaglesfly1060828 on craftsy.com
eaglesfly1060828  November 17, 2012 9:25 PM

Hi, This is a wonderful blanket. And I would LOVE to be able to make one. I am a Beginner beginner on both crafts. I am going to take some classes :D and I am really excited about it. I think I am just going to go ahead a buy the pattern , I know I am getting the cart before the horse but it is soooooooooooo pretty. I would love to make a full size one to , to put on my couch. DREAMING!! :D Thank you for making this available. All your pieces are wonderful.

Sheila Zachariae  November 19, 2012 5:31 AM

Thank you for the kind words! The pattern is ON SALE, so if you would like to purchase ahead, now is the time! I'd love to see your finished masterpiece so be sure to add it to the project section. Best, Sheila

Crochet Reversible Baby Blanket Pattern