Crochet X-Stitch Shrug

from The Yarn Yogi

Add your comment:

ngfoley304@gmail.com on craftsy.com
ngfoley304@gmail.com  August 31, 2014 11:13 AM

If I were to increase the width of the rows, is there any combination of numbers I would add ( example : multiple of 4 plus 2). I am thinking that being 5'11" and wearing sz 16 I would want to increase both width and length. Looking forward to starting this project!

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  September 5, 2014 8:41 AM

Not having my notes in front of me, I think the chain is a multiple of 3 plus 5. You could also crochet more rows and fold the shrug so that the pattern is horizontal instead of vertical.

abcsemart628931 on craftsy.com
abcsemart628931  August 23, 2014 0:15 PM

I just completed this Shrug and I love it! I will definitely make it again. I would consider myself a beginner. The printed pattern calls for about 800 yds yarn, the craftsy page says 900 yds. I used the same yarn the designer used and used about 1160 yards! It is entirely possible that this happened because I was using pulling the yarn tighter. I am very happy with the final result!

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  May 9, 2014 7:56 AM

Thanks for the great feedback! I am about your size also and I have to make my shrugs a little bigger to go over my big butt!

You really don't have to make the rows longer for it to fit over the hip. Adding more rows does the same thing.

Deanna Young
The Yarn Yogi

lisa9247 on craftsy.com
lisa9247  May 3, 2014 10:20 AM

I just finished my first one and it's gorgeous. Even my husband commented on it and suggested that I make more as gifts.

I am 5'3" and busty. I wear women's medium in tops and my pants are about a size 12. If I make another one for myself, I'll add a few inches to the width. It does fit me well through the torso, but I'd like just an inch or so more in the hips.

By the way, I wasn't paying attention when I did the finishing and ended up finishing it in the opposite direction from the illustration. In other words, the lines on my back are horizontal, not vertical. Since the shrug is square before it's finished, it doesn't make much difference what the direction is.

I avoid wearing horizontal lines, but will look at it both ways before finishing another one. The advantage to changing the direction is that it produces vertical lines on the front, which is more slimming. The horizontal lines on the back don't seem to have as much widening effect because of the slouch in the garment.

SandiGalster on craftsy.com
SandiGalster  February 12, 2014 9:07 AM

What kind of yarn is used in the sample pic?

SandiGalster on craftsy.com
SandiGalster  February 12, 2014 9:09 AM

Sorry..I should have read further down...how many skeins of yarn?

quydt881272013 on craftsy.com
quydt881272013  February 25, 2013 7:17 PM

So nice! But how to crochet this pattern? :(

Patrice Walker on craftsy.com
Patrice Walker  February 22, 2013 9:29 PM

I enjoyed making this shrug. Wish I'd chosen Vanna's Choice as my yarn. Read about my experience making it at http://www.yarnoverpullthrough.com/deanne-youngs-crochet-x-stitch-shrug

Patrice Walker on craftsy.com
Patrice Walker  February 22, 2013 9:47 PM

Deanna, sorry about this misspelling of your first name. I've corrected it in the blog post. The new url is http://www.yarnoverpullthrough.com/deanna-youngs-crochet-x-stitch-shrug

Doobie69 on craftsy.com
Doobie69  September 25, 2012 10:13 AM

Does your pattern have instructions for increasing size? I would make this for a large bust and would probably want to bump up the width of the garment to accommodate that.

teerex12 on craftsy.com
teerex12  July 22, 2012 2:30 PM

Hi, Love this!
was wondering what type of yarn did you use for this project
xoxo
crafteerex

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  September 2, 2012 4:32 PM

I used Vanna's Choice Worsted Weight in Misty Taupe.

HoneyWizard on craftsy.com
HoneyWizard  October 2, 2012 3:52 PM

Is that double knitting?
and is there a conversion chart for your hooks because I think they must be different to ours which are sized metrically.
Thank you. :)

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  November 16, 2012 2:19 PM

Worsted weight is a larger gauge than double knitting..

Maribel4258 on craftsy.com
Maribel4258  September 11, 2012 9:51 PM

This great! I will be making some for Christmas. How many balls of yarns did you use for your shrug? ANd would you consider yours a small to medium?

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  September 19, 2012 10:25 AM

The model in the photos wears a size small but this shrug looks good on most sizes. You can always add more rows to make it bigger and less rows to make it smaller.

Lynda-pc on craftsy.com
Lynda-pc  September 24, 2012 5:30 PM

Would this be an easy pattern or intermediate pattern

Deanna Young on craftsy.com
Deanna Young  October 30, 2012 5:22 PM

This is an easy pattern.

Patrice Walker on craftsy.com
Patrice Walker  February 22, 2013 8:00 PM

Very easy, and the instructions are very clear!

Crochet X-Stitch Shrug Pattern