Created by: Rachel Blackmon
Project

Vintage chair redo

I saw this chair on the street about a year ago and snapped it right up . . . it was a beautiful vintage chair that needed some love: beat up upholstery and not such a nice brown color on the frame, which had a little damage. But once stripped down, patched up and repainted with a rub-off ivory over black finish, it sure looked a lot sexier! I picked the blue damask (from Mood Fabrics) to match the vintage vibe, and to go with my peach and aqua bedroom. This chair wasn't picked out for the class, so it doesn't quite fit the parameters for the class. It's got elements of a slip seat because the seat is detachable, but it is a side chair. It also had a rattan back, but I wanted it upholstered. The front side was easy enough because it could be covered with a layer of batting and fabric stapled on to the frame and covered with braid and nailheads. But the back . . . nowhere to staple anything. I used some Magnatack fabric glue, which is super strong, sets fast, and is not at all "wet" so as not to make glue marks through the fabric, to adhere a panel just barely bigger than the exposed back (I used tracing paper to make a pattern, sticking it on with painters tape and tracing the oval of the frame with a pencil, then added a very narrow allowance of fabric). I then stuffed the raw edges between the rattan and the front of the frame with a long heavy tweezer. Miraculously, it worked. Now I have to find some solutions for my seat!

You Can Make This

Rachel Blackmon made Vintage chair redo with:

Getting Started With Upholstery

Online Class

Getting Started With Upholstery

with Cynthia Bleskachek

Project Description

I saw this chair on the street about a year ago and snapped it right up . . . it was a beautiful vintage chair that needed some love: beat up upholstery and not such a nice brown color on the frame, which had a little damage. But once stripped down, patched up and repainted with a rub-off ivory over black finish, it sure looked a lot sexier! I picked the blue damask (from Mood Fabrics) to match the vintage vibe, and to go with my peach and aqua bedroom. This chair wasn't picked out for the class, so it doesn't quite fit the parameters for the class. It's got elements of a slip seat because the seat is detachable, but it is a side chair. It also had a rattan back, but I wanted it upholstered. The front side was easy enough because it could be covered with a layer of batting and fabric stapled on to the frame and covered with braid and nailheads. But the back . . . nowhere to staple anything. I used some Magnatack fabric glue, which is super strong, sets fast, and is not at all "wet" so as not to make glue marks through the fabric, to adhere a panel just barely bigger than the exposed back (I used tracing paper to make a pattern, sticking it on with painters tape and tracing the oval of the frame with a pencil, then added a very narrow allowance of fabric). I then stuffed the raw edges between the rattan and the front of the frame with a long heavy tweezer. Miraculously, it worked. Now I have to find some solutions for my seat!

Q&A with Rachel Blackmon

No completed Q&As yet.

Skill Level

Intermediate

Get your first class for only $14.99

Get your first class for only $14.99