The only stitching in the ditch was around the boarders to hold it in place. Then I ran a curved line diagonally accross the center, breaking it down first in half, then in quarters, then eighths and so on. From there I free motioned the feathers in between those curved lines, every other section. In the ones that I did not do feathers, I sewed a straight line but diagonal accross each intersecting square. The boarder was also all free motion. And no, I was lucky that I did not have any tucks, but I was double checking the whole time. The only thing I would probably do is, I would not have used the clear thread. Anytime there was a break there is a Pokey. The quilt is not as soft as I like them.