Made from Scraps

Project Description

What advice would you give someone starting this project? I would have used larger scraps, kind of made them too small based on the potholder I made first. I didn't have enough of my chosen fabric for the lining, so I pieced it -- which worked out better than expected. I cut out the handles portion to about five inches down from the top, then I used the same fabric for the lower portion. I tried both kinds of pockets, one on each side. I did not interface the patch pocket (forgot until it was done), so it's kind of flimsy, but still works okay. I measured my iphone and made a seam to fit it, so the pocket holds up okay. The zipper pocket is very easy. I should have used a more colorful zipper, but I only had navy blue on hand. I used my serger to seam the sides. I should have used the sewing machine first on the really thick outer portion, as it slipped on one side where the bottom pieces meet. So it's about 1/8" off. (I'm not one that would purposely keep those sides unmatched). I put a monogram on the flap. Next time I'll try FMQ on the whole bag. I loved using the glue on the binding. I used Elmer's school glue. Need to be careful about keeping it within the the binding. I got a little on the outside of the binding, which is black. It's washable though.

What you will need

  • Scraps from my stash -- quilting cotton
  • batting
  • stabilizer
  • and some outdoor fabric for the base.

Q&A with Carefree Mary

No completed Q&As yet.