Created by: Lenas Legacy
Project

Barcelona Mug Rug & Napkin Set

What are you most proud of? I decided not to do a traditional binding and played with my serger's settings to come up with a sturdy finished edge. My idea worked and I'm thrilled with the outcome. What advice would you give someone starting this project? When I decided to try to come up with a serged edge for my quilted mug rug and napkin set, my serger was already threaded and ready for a 4-thread overlock and the stitch finger was in place. I was too lazy to remove it, so I decided to see if I could come up with a nice edging anyway. I kept the needle and looper settings at the usual 4.0 and the differential at 1.0. I set the stitch length and the stitch width at R and left the knife engaged. I had wooly nylon thread in the loopers. I ended up with a very nice looking edge! My advice is to give these settings a try when working on similar project. I did this for the quilted mug rug AND the napkin (instead of a rolled hem). For the patch on the napkins, I did the same thing again, then used my sewing machine to attach it to a corner of the napkin. I've washed these items and the edges didn't fray, so I will use these settings the next time I make a quilted mug rug that I don't want to bind.

You Can Make This

Lenas Legacy made Barcelona Mug Rug & Napkin Set with:

  • "Barcelona" Charm Pack by Moda
  • Batik fabric from my stash
  • black cotton fabric

Project Description

What are you most proud of? I decided not to do a traditional binding and played with my serger's settings to come up with a sturdy finished edge. My idea worked and I'm thrilled with the outcome. What advice would you give someone starting this project? When I decided to try to come up with a serged edge for my quilted mug rug and napkin set, my serger was already threaded and ready for a 4-thread overlock and the stitch finger was in place. I was too lazy to remove it, so I decided to see if I could come up with a nice edging anyway. I kept the needle and looper settings at the usual 4.0 and the differential at 1.0. I set the stitch length and the stitch width at R and left the knife engaged. I had wooly nylon thread in the loopers. I ended up with a very nice looking edge! My advice is to give these settings a try when working on similar project. I did this for the quilted mug rug AND the napkin (instead of a rolled hem). For the patch on the napkins, I did the same thing again, then used my sewing machine to attach it to a corner of the napkin. I've washed these items and the edges didn't fray, so I will use these settings the next time I make a quilted mug rug that I don't want to bind.

Q&A with Lenas Legacy

No completed Q&As yet.

Get your first class for only $14.99

Get your first class for only $14.99