Despite the abundance of things to draw, we all feel stuck sometimes. When inspiration dries up, have no fear — I’ve got 25 drawing ideas for when you put pencil to paper.
When everything and everyone is a potential subject, you can feel an overwhelming creative block. Sometimes it helps to narrow down the field.
In an age where we’re constantly in front of a screen, it helps to get outside and enjoy nature. Whether that’s hiking, camping or just going for a walk around your neighborhood, drawing also offers a way to daydream about hitting the trail.
Here are a handful of drawing ideas — from grandiose landscapes to technical gear — that will have you break you out of any creative block you may have.
“Take a hike” with these 25 drawing ideas!
- Well-worn hiking boots
- Cairn (a stack of stones that mark the way)
- Prickly cacti
- A group of Joshua trees
- Evergreen trees
- Sculptural pock formations
- Water bottle
- Dog (our best hiking companions!)
- The attire of other hikers
- Waterways (like a stream)
- Wild flowers
- The view from a cliff, looking down at the valley below
- Trail switchbacks
- A curious grizzly bear
- Vibrant fall foliage
- Lively lizards
- Snow-covered mountains in the distance
- The view from a tent
- A roaring campfire