Every cake decorator needs a go-to vanilla cake recipe — that way, we can spend more time decorating than searching for a recipe.
This classic recipe for buttermilk cake is Craftsy instructor Mike McCarey's essential recipe. Be sure to add it to your recipe box!
Classic buttermilk cake recipe
Make two 8" round cakes.
- 1 cup (240 mL) butter (two sticked)
- 2 cups (400 gm) sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 2½ cups (325 gm) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 gms) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 gms) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3 gms) salt
- 1½ cups (355 mL) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. Beat until creamy.
- Pour into cake pans and bake at 350 F (177 C) until golden brown and cake springs back to the touch.
- Cool in pans 10 - 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- When cake is completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until use.
Live at a high altitude? Increase flour to 3 cups, decrease baking soda to ½ teaspoon and decrease baking powder to ½ teaspoon. Bake at 325 F for 25-30 minutes.