Quilting Blog

3 Go-To Sizes for Baby Quilts

We all love making baby blankets because they're small (and fast to stitch up!). But how small is too small, and how big is too big?

The good news is that there isn't one size you must adhere to. Your baby quilt can be as big or small as you like! But if you're looking for some guidance, read on to find out three of the most common baby quilt sizes, plus why you might choose each one.

Just remember: These are just suggestions. If yours is a bit big or a big small, no harm done.

The most common baby quilt sizes

30" x 30"

This size is perfect for newborns! Although it won't last forever in terms of

30" x 40"

For those who prefer a rectangular size, this longer quilt gives your tot plenty of room to grow. And don't worry — you can still easily use yardage for the backing without having to piece it.

36" x 52"

This has become a standard size because it fits well over a crib mattress, which is usually around 28" x 52". But an important safety note: the American Association of Pediatrics recommends a bare crib (no quilts or blankets) for infant safety — so the crib size is less important than a size that the parents will appreciate.

Anything larger than 36", whether square or rectangular, also makes a great floor covering for babies on the move — and larger quilts are sure to be used as the child grows and begins sleeping with covers.

What size do you make your baby quilts? Let us know in the comments!

Baby Quilt

More Beautiful Baby Quilts

Need a bit of baby inspiration? Check out all of our best project kits, tips and more!Explore More

Marion (Ladymax)

I make about 6 baby quilts a month for a local hospital. I make them about 40 x40 .

Sally

my most common baby quilt sizes – 45″ by 45″ and 40″by 52″

Cecile

Mine are not uniform, but mostly a 38″x42″. And when given I ask that it be used often.

Mrs G

36×36 is my favorite size baby quilt

Ann

I tend toward the 36v52 size,figuring that the quilt will get the most usage that way. When the baby is a newborn, the quilt can be used as a floor covering to lay the baby on. Then later on, when the beautiful handmade quilt becomes a “lovey” the larger size is better for a toddler to carry around and snuggle with at will.

Robyn Gronning

I like 40″ x 40″ or 40″ x 46″ I keep the quilts at less than 40″ wide so they can be backed by 44″ wide fabric.

Annette

42″ X 42″, 42″ X 54″ and 42″ X 60″ are the standard sized we have used at the shop for over 40 years. Kinda funny how it differs from place to place.

Nancy Birger

about 42″x42″. This size fits over the front of a stroller in the winter in the midwest, to keep out the wind. It is a good size for a floor mat and it works as a lap quilt for mom in the evening.

Judy

We make ours 40 by 52 and donate most to local charities. We sell a few to help replace fabric. My daughters have found then great for the kids on the floor. Our senior citizens like them for lap blankets. At 40 inches we can back them with one width of fabric.

Mary

I vary, but try to keep no bigger than 40″ wide so that the backing is just one piece….often 40×40.

Julie Bailey

I usually make mine 42 X 54. It can still be used when the child is a toddler.

Marlene Clausen

Either 45″ x 45″ or 60″ x 60″. It depends on the pattern, the age of the baby, what the parents want, etc. The larger size is because some parents like a bigger quilt to throw on the floor or on a bed when going out visiting with the baby. The smaller size is much better for wrapping the baby, covering a car seat or stroller. I, personally, prefer the larger size as it can transition from use for an infant to a real bed. Baptism/heirloom quilts are a whole different ball game when it comes to size and function.

Tweela Houtekamer

My baby quilts have all been larger than the largest size above, often 48 x 60. Parents have used them on the floor and have been able to continue using them as the babes move into toddlerhood and larger beds. I have been told the larger size is also really excellent for cuddling on the couch or in a rocking chair.

Linda Arbuckle

My go to size is 36″x48″. Many blocks work well in this size. It wraps up a baby and is a good size for a toddler to carry. And it is relatively quick to piece and quilt.

Denise Nash

I am of the persuasion that baby quilts may be any size, so long as it won’t be too big for a toddler to drag around once they are walking. The quilt should be well-loved, so any dimension, so long as it is “portable” for the owner, is just right!

Amanda Jane Ogden

I offer two dedicated baby quilt patterns on Craftsy which are 52 x 26″ and 56 x 35″ respectively – the largest of the three sizes you mention, because my understanding was that a baby shouldn’t sleep under a quilt until they are at least a year old, by which time they will be in a cot.. These measurements also make for a good play-mat size for using in the day-time.
Amanda
(Amanda Jane Textiles)

Judi Jordan

I make baby blankets for Project Linus and make them about 36×36 or 42×42.

Gloria Stewart

The most common sizes in a baby quilt that I make is 45″ inch square or 48″ x 58 or 60 inches … so they can be used on a toddler bed.

Danna

I make 36″ square, 48″ square, and 36″x52″. It all depends upon the pattern and use.

Kathy Padilla

I always make make my baby quilts single bed size due to the fact that they don’t want blankets in the babies crib.. When the baby gets bigger they can use it on their single bed or lay it on the floor to play upon..

Mary Klun

My baby quilts vary in size, though are at least 36×36 square minimum. Some I make are up to 40 or 42 long.

Debbie McKnight

I usually make my baby quilts about 35 – 36 inches by 50 – 51 inches.