Knitting Blog

Taking a Trip? Bring These 10 Knitting & Crocheting Tools With You!

It's the season of vacation, road trips and all sorts of adventures. But that doesn't mean you need to stop stitching! All you need is a well-packed travel bag for knitting and crocheting.

Everything Mary Deluxe Yarn Tote

Everything Mary Deluxe Yarn Tote

What else should go in that travel bag?

Of course, you'll need your yarn and needles or hooks. But it's so disappointing if you're traveling with a projects only to find that you left out a tool that you really need. When you're packing your bags this summer, consider some of these extras, too.

1. Stitch markers

Locking Stitch Markers

Whether you need to mark the beginning of the round or you just need to mark a stitch here and there, stitch markers are super handy. These Clover Locking Stitch Markers are great for marking individual stitches as well as the beginning of a round.

If you're reading this and you're stuck without a marker, try one of these stitch marker hacks.

2. Small scissors or a yarn cutter

Clover Yarn Pendant

It's not pretty when you have to cut yarn with your teeth (believe me. I've tried it!), but nobody wants to lug around a huge pair of scissors. Have a pair of small scissors, nail clippers or a yarn cutter handy. This Clover Yarn Cutter Pendant is great for travel because you can wear it around your neck. It gives you easy access to the cutter without having to dig around, which is so valuable when you're in a car or on a plane.

3. Scrap yarn

Clover Knitting Bobbins

It may seem weird to bring extra yarn, especially if you're limited on space — but little yardages of scrap yarn can serve all kinds of purposes. They can double as stitch makers, they can serve as stitch holders, or they can help you practice stitches before trying them out on your project. Wind them around a bobbin like the Clover Bobbins pictured above to keep everything in your project bag organized and tidy.

4. Extra needles or hooks

Maybe you're a knitter who needs to do a three-needle bind off, or maybe you're a crocheter who needs to switch hook sizes at some point in the project. Sometimes even knitters need a crochet hook! Read through your pattern before you pack and see if you need to pack any extra needles or hooks to complete the project.

5. Measuring tape

Dritz Measuring Tapes

If you're working on a smaller project like a sock, you may only need a small gauge ruler. If you're working on a larger project like a garment, though, longer measuring tools (like this Dritz Measuring Tape) is your best bet for measuring sections that are longer than 4" or 5". Plus the measuring tape rolls up, so it's easier to store and won't break!

6. Row counter

Clover Mini Knitting Counter

I often use a digital row counter on my phone, but since access to my phone can be unpredictable when traveling, I often bring along a small knitting counter like the Clover Mini Knitting Counter pictured above. This row counter has a lock, so even if it gets jostled around in your bag, you won't lose your count.

6. Yarn needle

Clover Chibi Darning NeedlesYou never know when you might need a yarn needle, whether it's for weaving in ends or seaming pieces together. These Clover Chibi Darning Needles come in a little case that's ideal for traveling.

8. Printed pattern

Many of us work off a digital pattern, and that's so handy for traveling. However, sometimes things happen — our phone battery dies or we can't access the internet — so you might consider printing off the pattern as a backup.

9. Needle point protectors

Knitting needle point protectors

Knitters will find protectors like these Clover Knitting Needle Point Protectors handy for both securing stitches so that they don't fall off the needle and protecting bamboo needle ends.

10. Stitch holders

Lion Brand Stitch Holders

Stitch holders like these Lion Brand Stitch Holders will hold all your stitches in place, even as your project travel bag gets tossed around.

sarah

those hanks of yarn look pretty in the basket but i defy anyone to turn them into a ball when travelling- do that before you leave! also circular needles are much easier to manage when sitting on a bus or train, and if you have bamboo circulars they might even let you fly with them!

Michelle McCrillis

It is entirely possible to turn those hanks into balls when travelling, even if you have no one to hold them. Open the hank, put it over your head, or over your wrist and wind a center pull ball. You need to be able to move the hank around your neck or your wrist, but it is possible.

Gillian Villeneuve

I absolutely agree about circulars, but not about skeins. I happily wind a ball from a skein, on my thumb. I’ve done it for many years.

Renate Wrobel

I have never had any problem flying with any kind of knitting needles. They are on the TSA approved list.

Barbara McFarland

Different countries have other opinions though, I’ve read experiences where someone has had their entire collection of Addi’s confiscated. So a note to the wise, don’t bring your really expensive tools with you.

Sue

My daughter loves to crochet. Several of these items look like they would make great gifts in future for her.

Jamie

For crochet, I’ve found that the Boye 4-in-1 tools help. There are two of them (one purple, one blue) that has sizes D-K between them. They are handy for traveling and you don’t have to accidentally lose your hook in the car. They are a bit tricky to use sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, they are easy.

Cyndy Rhoadarmer

Check with TSA before taking your beloved cutter pendant on board. In the past they have been banned. Best to have some mini scissors. I have an inexpensive pair with blades less than an inch with a rubbery cover. Perfect for what I’m cutting, and too small to be a problem.

Joyce

The Clover Cutter is a hidden razor blade so is banned by TSA although you can pack it in checked luggage.

TSA has had so many inquiries about knitting needles that they have a blog post stating that they are allowed. Circulars however are a good idea since when you drop a needle it is at the end of the cord-no rolling down to the other end of the plane.

sheila Rowland

Traveling within Australia had a pair of scissors, a nail file and a pocket knife that I had to check into my hold luggage. Fair enough but having done that they found a tiny pair of folding scissors and I had to check that too !!!

Myriam Garçon

I agree: that cutter looks lovely, but might get confiscated on a plane. Apparently, it’s possible to dismantle it and use the blade to make a weapon of some sort. Kiddy craft scissors are very small: blade is less than the 4cm, as most airline require. The security people are used to seeing them, so even the newest member of their group will let you pass with them.

The cutter still looks lovely, but I would use it for car or bus travel, though.

Meme Smith

I love the big square bag with the pockets. Wanting to find one and especially one that doesn’t fall over as this is what happens with the ones I am using at present

Barbara

Not having everything you need gives you an excuse to visit local yarn stores while traveling. Wait . . . who needs an excuse?

Linda Mihay

The tatting shuttles are an interesting addition, and one that no one has mentioned, and I’d venture to say, very few would have a use for. I taught myself to tat (basics) with my Great Grandmother’s shuttles, many years ago. The shuttles have been lost, but I still tat, on occasion.

Jennifer M

I just traveled with my knitting project – on bamboo circulars. I did have a yarn cutter – not the pendant – just a small one with blades less than an inch that came in a kit with some other supplies ( stitch makers, stitch holders , point guards, etc in a plastic case with my project in my carry on bag. I have very nice folding scissors I left at home just in case they confiscated my yarn cutter ( those scisssors I did not want to lose) . But TSA had no trouble with my cutter. I found I did not knit aboard the plane, but rather while waiting to board.