All

6 Essential Oils to Boost Your Creativity

Every human soul has the desire to create. We all, however, experience times when the creative well just seems to run dry. When our motivation, our drive or our focus is dampened, we tend to experience these dry spells or blocks. No matter what our creative pleasure is, we can all use a little boost now and again.

One thing that I have learned to rely on to get my creative juices flowing is the use of essential oils.

Essential Oils

A rainbow of essential oils in my studio, some of smwhich I use daily to boost my creativity.

Essential oils are created by distilling naturally occurring chemicals that exist in all plants into a very concentrated form.

Because essential oils are volatile, or evaporate quickly, their molecules are easily inhaled and then used by our brains through our sense of smell. This creates triggers that can profoundly affect our emotions and mood.

Think of it this way: If you begin to use specific oils as a part of your daily creative practice, your brain will identify them as triggers and know that it’s time to settle in and create.

Choosing essential oils

Personally, I use doTERRA Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. Why? Each bottle is independently tested for the highest level of purity and efficacy. Ethically and sustainably sourced, free of toxicity, tested for potency and purity, with high therapeutic value, I’ve found them to support my wellness, my home, and my work in every way.

6 essential oils to revitalize your creative energy

1. Tangerine: The oil of joy & creativity

Tangerines

Photo via Flickr user caligula1995

The bright, citrusy scent of tangerine can lift the darkest of moods and bring qualities of playfulness and cheer to our creative work.

Creativity can be dampened by an overwhelming sense of duty or rigid standards, and tangerine helps us break through and get to work with a new, more child-like sense of purpose. Tap into an abundant pool of creative energy that is already within you, just waiting to be released. Let the joy flow!

How to use tangerine essential oils:

• To boost creative energy and uplift your mood, place one to two drops in the palm of your hand, rub them together and cup them over the nose and mouth for 30 seconds.
  • Apply to wrists or abdomen to promote feelings of happiness.

2. Frankincense: the oil of calm

Frankincense Essential Oil

The soft, spicy scent of frankincense is a tonic for our nervous system, calming and soothing the whole body and mind. This is a gentle, nurturing oil that helps us feel cared for and guided to be our clearest, best creative self.

Whenever I am feeling harried or overwhelmed, it is frankincense that I reach for, applying a drop on my wrists, rubbing them together and taking a few deep, calming breaths. When we are calm, our creative selves are freer to emerge and play.

How to use frankincense oil:

• Apply this essential oil to the bottoms of the feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance your mood.
  • Diffuse frankincense during your creative practice to focus your intention and to evoke feelings of peace and satisfaction.

3. Lavender: the oil of communication

Lavender

Photo via Flickr user elminium

Lavender essential oil cannot be beat for aiding our ability for expression. It calms the insecurities that sometimes surface when we are beginning a new project or exploring new ideas. It can reduce anxious feelings, even when the ability to smell aromas has been lost.

This soft, fragrant flower Oil encourages us to express emotional honesty in our work and liberates us to shine forth and CREATE!

How to use lavender oil:

• Diffuse lavender in your work space to promote feelings of vitality.
  • Keep a small bottle of lavender oil and water to mist your face and bring an instant sense of well-being and clarity.

4. Clary sage: The oil of clarity & vision

Clary Sage

Photo via Flickr user liesvanrompaey

This lovely oil can help change our perceptions, dispelling our limiting beliefs about our work and opening our hearts and minds to new possibilities. It can inspire us to rely more on our intuition and expand our horizons.

Clary Sage is one of the most relaxing, soothing and balancing essential oils, creating a restful environment while reducing feelings of stress and anxiety.

How to use clary sage oil:

• Diffuse this essential oil while you work to synergistically soothe and calm the nervous system, allowing for more clarity in your creative practice.
  • Apply one to two drops of clary sage oil to the bottoms of the feet or to the pulse points before you begin your work.

5. Jasmine: the oil of optimism & confidence

Jasmine Flowers

Photo via Flickr user liesvanrompaey

The most sensual and feminine of the oils, jasmine brings a gentle sense of euphoria to the mind, body and spirit. When we feel elated, we feel more confident and ready to tackle even our biggest projects.

I diffuse Jasmine in my studio when I know I’ve got a tough job ahead. If I really need a boost, I will enhance this oil’s amazing effects by sipping some hot jasmine tea.

How to use jasmine oil:

• Diffuse this oil to evoke feelings of joy, peace and self-confidence.
  • Rub a drop onto your third eye (the space between the eyebrows) for a spacious feeling of optimism. It’s wonderful for the skin, too!

6. Peppermint: the oil of concentration

Peppermint Plant

Photo via Flickr user Anna Gregory

Nothing wakes me up like a drop of peppermint oil rubbed onto the back of my neck or onto my temples. This bright, minty oil brings a sense of joy and buoyancy to the heart and soul, helping us to let go of inhibitions and really concentrate on the task at hand. It invigorates the mind and spirit while also helping us to breathe in more clean, clear inspiration.

How to use peppermint oil:

• Inhale peppermint oil straight from the bottle for a non-stimulant, invigorating pick-me up during long work sessions.
  • Rub on temples before you work for an energy boost.
  • Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy and really need a boost for your concentration.

I use these Essential Oils regularly to help me keep my creative fires stoked. They help me to find motivation when I’m lacking it, boost my energy and assist me in summoning my courage to freely express myself in my creative work.

Using oils as part of my daily creative rituals helps me to connect to my inner child and find my joy and playfulness. I can’t imagine my work as an artist without them. I hope you will give them a try, too!

Always check with your health practitioner about using essential oils if you are under a physicians care, pregnant, or nursing a baby. And it’s good practice to dilute an essential oil with a carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, if you are applying it topically to the skin. There is no need to dilute if you are using your oils in a diffuser.

If you have any questions or would like more information on the Oils I use and share with my students in my studio, please ask; I’m here to help.

Ann Kerley

I love using essential oils but please do not use Clary Sage when pregnant. Check out essential oil websites to get advice.

Kateri Ewing

Hi Ann! Thank you for your comment. There are many really good websites, and books to discover more about the Oils. I will add a link to a good source. 🙂

Delois

Nice! Greatly needed where do you get your oils?

Many sources. I love doTERRA oils, Florihana, and even a few by Auracacia. 🙂

Evelyn

I have always been interested in aromatherapy so your article speaks to me

What would it cost me to buy a set of oils like the ones here?

Kateri Ewing

Cost can vary, and they can be expensive, but they do last a very long time 🙂 Even pick one that speaks to you and begin there 🙂

Betty-Anne

I am going to make a roller bottle with a combination of all of these oils to keep in my sewing room. Thank you

Kateri Ewing

Maybe try just two or three at a time? Use a good carrier oil 🙂

Tara Manna

Great article. I just started my essential oil journey and this article came at the perfect time. I am loving Frankincense. That is one of my favorites!

Kateri Ewing

Mine, too. And safe to use neat on the skin.

Michelle

PLEASE do your research and use essential oils safely. Using essential oils without a carrier (neat) is no longer recommended as safe use.

Kateri Ewing

Thank you, Michelle. All of my oils suggest using a carrier oil right on the bottle, however there are many oils that are considered safe to use neat. I’ve been using many oils neat for over thirty years. Common sense tells us not to put them in our eyes or mouth, but applying one drop to the wrist creases, the back of the neck, or the soles of our feet is quite okay.

Darlene Edwards

My daughter sells doTerra and I LOVE the oils! They do wonders when I’m trying to make a decision, to help me sleep, to calm me, to help me focus and lots of other things. My daughter helps me figure out what I need. Some can be pretty pricey, but she has learned how to mix other oils together to get the same effect and are cheaper.

Wonderful! I love my doTERRA oils 🙂

Catherine

Essential oils work well for me, but unfortunately my husband can not tolerate them at all. He is OK with some citrus ones, but nothing else. Do you have any suggestions about this? A diffuser is not the answer I’m looking for.

Kateri Ewing

Hi Catherine, my first thought is to make sure that the product your husband was objecting was pure, natural essential oils, and not fragrance. That is a HUGE difference for me as well. However, I trust people when they say they cannot tolerate something. So instead of diffusing into the home, you could wear a personal diffuser, like a locket, or a bracelet with lava beads, or perhaps dilute your favourite into a bottle with some almond oil and just dab a bit on your forehead, under your nose, on your wrists when you are working. I hope that helps 🙂

Janis S. TheCookieMomster

All of this information is very informative and I am so thankful that Kateri chose to share it. I’ve always found the realm of essential oils to be elusive and mysterious….Kateri’s blog has changed all of that for me. Thank you so much! 🙂

Kateri Ewing

Janis there are so many great books on using essential oils. Check your library. So many practical ways to use them in your every day rituals 🙂

Linda Deneau

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of these great essential oils … I have been using Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO) now for about 4 years and they have helped improve my health … I too love sharing my oils with family and friends … ❤

Kateri Ewing

Also a wonderful product I am so glad you are enjoying them 🙂

Debi

For someone completely new to aromatherapy, etc., what is a “carrier” and what is “neat”.

Cath

A carrier is something like another oil or lotion that you mix the essential oil with to dilute it. It can make it easier to use the oil or apply it. Neat means it’s straight, no dilution.

Kateri Ewing

Yes, Cath is right. Neat is straight from the bottle, and diluted means adding a few drops of essential oil to a carrier oil. Although check your labels, some essential oils are already diluted in a carrier oil and there is no need to further dilute unless you choose to 🙂

Deb

Do you use these oils all at one time? I have heard that full strength oils on the skin are not good for the body. Can you use them in a diffuser? I love using oil diffusers. Would I combine them all or do you recommend certain combinations?

Kateri Ewing

No Deb, I do not. I use one or two at a time. I think it might smell pretty bad to use them all at once 😉 I use all of the oils above in a diffuser, but I pick one or two at a time. Peppermint and Tangerine is a real favourite in my studio. It helps me to focus uplifts my mood, and brightens the air in general 🙂 It smells DIVINE!

Cath

I found a really good “Reference Guide for Essential Oils” from Young Living for my cell phone. I love it, especially handy when out shopping for oils. You can search by symptom, method of application, single oils or oil blends, or create notes for yourself.

Kateri Ewing

Some great apps out there and wonderful books. 🙂

Mary

I love essential oils and when crafting usually use them in a diffuser.

Kateri Ewing

Diffusing is so effective. My students say when they come in it smells like heaven. I think it’s a trigger for my brain. My brain picks up on the aromas, and it knows it’s time to settle in a create. 🙂

Miqui

I love doTERRA oils! However, I must warn those of you with pets, especially cats. Some EOs, especially citrus oils, can cause serious (even death) in cats. They may not tolerate peppermint, either. Lavender and frankincense are ok. Please do some research before using EOs around animals.

Kateri Ewing

Yes, there are such varying opinions on this. Definitely look into it, and never leave oils open with animals around. Even if they are safe to use personally or even diffuse, they are not safe to be ingested, in case a pet got into a spilled oil and ingested it.

Mallary

I am in the market for a diffuser. Do you have any suggestions for models that work effectively in large spaces? I have high ceilings and have a hard time circulating enough EO to be effective. Thank you for the scent suggestions, I am looking forward to trying them out. You mention a good reference but I didn’t see it-would you mind posting it again?