Quilting Blog

Meet the 2017 Block of the Month Quilt: The Blazing Star

At first glance, this quilt may not look like a Block of the Month.

The Blazing Star Quilt: Craftsy's 2017 Block of the Month

That's exactly what designer Nancy McNally intended with her breathtaking Blazing Star quilt.

"I'm not a fan of the traditional samplers," Nancy says. "They tend to lack a design element to connect the different blocks." But Nancy still finds value is making a quilt block by block. So she faced a challenge: How could she design a quilt with a variety of blocks that still looked cohesive?

To solve the problem, Nancy turned to her signature style, which she calls "tradition with a twist."

Nancy McNally and her Blazing Star Quilt

She started with a traditional Lone Star design: a large eight-pointed star made up of pieced diamonds. In most Lone Star quilts, the star takes up nearly the whole quilt top — but not in Nancy's version.

In her "twist" on the Lone Star, Nancy added a few bonus elements to the timeless design.

She let the diamonds in the star serve as the connecting element throughout the quilt, and filled the negative space with five different feature blocks.

Blazing Star Feature Blocks

The five feature blocks not only give the design extra visual interest, but the variety of blocks also adds some fun to the process. "The plus side to piecing a BOM is you are not making 10 to 20 to possibly 100 of the same blocks," Nancy says. We're sure you won't get bored making the feature blocks, which include fancy flying geese, kite units, nine-patch stars and more."

The 2017 Blazing Star Block of the Month

The lone stars and feature blocks are all wrapped up in a border made of just one simple block (it’s a little rotation that creates the beautiful ribbon).

As you build the blocks, you might pick up some new techniques, like Y-seams, strip piecing and cutting tricky-looking shapes without any special tools.

These may seem like intermediate-level techniques, but the whole quilt is suited for beginners. That's because Nancy walks you through every step in her online video lessons, which you can watch for free!

Get the Kit + Class

Get the FREE Class Only

Cheryl Lea

Will this class be available without the kit? I want to make this in my own color palette.

Two Swans Shop

Thanks for offering class and pattern for free! That is so awesome. Keeps me coming back to Craftsy when I want to purchase something!

Jacqueline Sas

The quilt is beautiful. I am disappointed the BOM is not being offered as a stand alone class. I have enrolled in every BOM class and have made most of them with the fabric I like, that goes with my home decor. I am not going to spend approximately $100 on a kit I won’t use just to get the class.

Karen Burch

It is offered as a free class but very hard to find. I did it and am on March 2017 already

Susan

So how did you find it for free?

Carol Engeron

How did you find the free class? I’m still trying but can you help????

Debbi

Where did you find it as a stand alone class or pattern?

Denise

Can you take the class without buying the kit?

Janet My

This Block of the Month is a disappointment this year. Not being able to take part unless you purchase the kit is not fair. I like to use my own colors to make it my own. Craftsy has always been a instructional site with these Block of the Months. What about those who cannot afford to purchase a kit?

Orlie Severson

I can not wait to make this quilt. I am a star fan all the way.

Dona

Love the quilt, don’t love the fabric. Won’t be buying the kit just to get the class! 😟😢

Saskia Loomans-Jones

too bad one needs to purchase the kit to make this quilt – I too would prefer to shop from my stash – – love the quilt – but not my colors at all

li_lamo1641118

Jan Anderson

The class is free, ladies. You don’t have to buy the kit..

Robin

So can you shed some light on where to find it?

MoeWest

I love the design and the size but I would prefer to choose my own fabrics. It’s very disappointing that the class is not available without the kit.

Eileen Keane

I have to agree with the others who’ve protested the cost of the BOM. I think I’m enrolled in enough classes to be able to enjoy a free BOM, just like I’ve always done. If Jinny Beyer can do hers for free, why can’t Nancy McNally?

Ingrid

WOW, what a surprise Craftsy! Get us all excited about the 2017 BOM only to find out that to be enrolled one must purchase the kit. I would e happy to pay for classes, but not the kit with the low Canadian dollar and shipping, it just isn’t something I will be doing. Too bad.

Patty Low

I love star quilts and this is a beautiful quilt. However, I don’t want to buy a kit. I handdye fabric and I would want to use my own fabric. I don’t want a quilt that everyone else has. Judging from the above comments, we want the BOM pattern available without the kit.

Georgeanna Couldry

I also would like to know if you’ll be able to take the class without having to buy the kit. The colors are lovely but it’s not colors I have in my house.

Judy Wright

I agree with the other comments. Won’t make it unless I can use different colors.

Sharon Berman

The last line of the promo for this quilt, ” That’s because Nancy walks you through every step in her online video lessons, which you can watch for free”, seems to imply that you can watch the class without the purchase of the kit, but I do not see it as an option?

Susan

I will not enroll if I have to buy a kit.

Sheila Horton

Some say it’s free but I cannot find where it is a free class every link I open it says that I have to buy the kit. Can someone please tell me if we can do this patten without buying the kit? Thank you

Sandy Bradfield

As with all Craftsy Block of there Month quilts, there is a free class. Just click on the picture of the quilt & it comes up. I’m signed up for the class & it was free. I will be using my own fabrics while making this pattern.

Rosanna

If the class is free, where do I find it?

Judy Carlon

This quilt is beautiful but I would prefer downloadable printed block patterns. I really have no use for video classes.

Dottie Clements

Hi Judy,
Have you ever tried one of Craftsy’s video classes? I’m totally hooked. The format is great. QAll patterns associated with a class can be found in the class materials. So even if you don’t want to do the video lessons, sign up for this free class and you get the patterns for free as well.

I have enrolled in 31 classes over the last 2-3 years. 7 free and 24 paid. When ever they have a sale on classes I scoop one up! Only once have I been unhappy with a purchase and that’s because it was a crochet technique I knew I would never use.

I don’t work for Craftsy in any way, just a happy Craftsy customer,
Dottie

Carol

I’ve downloaded the free class but unable to find how much fabric is needed or what finished size(s) options for this quilt. Did I miss something in the class instructions?
Carol

Sandra lawson

I can’t find the class requirements. Could you advise where I can find templates and fabric requirements.

Larainnatalie

I was so disappointed to find that the block of the month was a kit. I do not know if other readers are like me and expected it to be a monthly charge with the excitement of waiting for the postie to deliver a parcel, opening it to find new fabric and instructions. After Xmas I find that $173+ is a big ask to somebof your readers. I have benn purchasing Crafty’s since the original start up and as I have said disappointed in having to pay upfront. I love everything about this quilt, colour and variety of blocks, but in this case I will not be going any further, as I find the upfront price too much.

Kara

Craftsy folks – thanks for reposting (and reposting!) the link to the free class. Can you please go one step further, and walk us thru /how/where to find the pattern if we’d like to use our own fabric? I’ve scoured the page, and am at a loss as to where to find it. It’s not in my pattern library, and I’m not finding an attachment or “click here for pattern/list of materials” link.

Thank you!

Rosemary

How is it some have already finished the whole quilt, when the templates are the wrong size in the pattern??? I tried it, but no way! They say they are working on fixing the sizing, but It’s taking forever. Plz tell me how you made it work.