Cake Decorating Blog

Make a Chocolate-Covered Cake That’s (Literally) Dripping With Fun

Have you tried the latest cake craze yet? We can’t get enough of the colorful buttercream cakes with chocolate dripping oh-so luxuriously down the sides. A drip cake is so versatile, fun and darn tempting that it’s easy to see why everyone loves them.

Drip Cake Tutorial

To add that drool-worthy drizzle that adorns the sides, you can use melted tempered chocolate, confectionary coating or even whip up a simple powdered sugar and extract mix. But to get the perfect consistency, you need a delicious ganache glaze! Read on to find out how to make an easy ganache glaze for cakes.

dark chocolate mirror glaze recipe

Decadent Dark Chocolate Glaze

Is it dark chocolate that you desire?! Achieve this same awesome look but in rich, dark chocolate with this downloadable recipe! Get the FREE recipe

Tutorial for a super easy ganache glaze

How to make an easy glaze for a trendy, finger-licking-good drip cake

Materials needed:

• Chilled buttercream- or fondant-covered cake. (The chilled part is important! Keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to add the glaze)
  • Heavy cream (aka whipping or double cream)
  • Tempered chocolate or confectionary coating
  • Gel or paste food coloring (appropriate for use with chocolate)
  • Angled palette knife
  • Tablespoon
  • Microwaveable glass bowl
  • Spatula

Watch it in action!

Check out this tutorial on how to make a beautiful candy drip cake from Craftsy instructor Joshua John Russell.

Step 1:

Weigh out equal measurements of chocolate (white, milk or dark) and heavy cream. We stick to a 50/50 recipe for a ganache glaze, as this creates a really great consistency for drips and drizzles. Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwaveable glass bowl or cup and mix well.

How to make a bright ganache glaze for cakes

Step 2:

Microwave the cream and chocolate mixture until the chocolate melts. Heating up your ganache can vary depending on your appliance, so we recommend taking it out and checking it every 30 seconds. Make sure you keep checking — we’re pretty sure you won’t want burnt chocolate!

Perfect ganache glaze for fun cakes

Once your ganache has melted enough that both ingredients mix together to form a runny, silky and bump-free glaze, you’re ready to roll!

Step 3:

Now for the fun part! Turning your ganache glaze bright and vibrant colors is definitely one of the best steps. Add the gel or paste to achieve the color you want.

Top tip alert!

You’ll need a good gel or paste food color that works well with chocolate, so make sure you check the label! There are a few food colors out there that do not play well with chocolate.

Bright ganache glaze recipe and tutorial for cakes

Step 4:

Remove your chilled cake from the fridge. A super-cold cake is ideal for adding a ganache glaze, as it helps slow down and set the glaze so you don’t end up with a runny mess! Your warm glaze is definitely not going to play well with a room-temperature cake.

Recipe for a bright ganache glaze

One of the tricks to getting that perfect dripped look on the sides of cakes is to spoon your glaze mixture on bit by bit. You need to have some control over the drips, so it makes sense to go small. Some people even pipe a little out using disposable piping bags. Whatever your preference is, make sure not to dump a load of glaze on top.

How to drip ice a cake with a ganache glaze Easy ganache glaze recipe

Step 5:

Now you can fill in the top of your cake with the rest of your glaze. Try not to add too much; instead, spoon this on bit by bit too. If you add more glaze than you need to you’re going to end up with an out-of-control mess, so take it easy.

Simple and easy ganache glaze drip tutorial for fun cakes How to make the perfect ganache glaze for cakes

Chocolate Layer Cake

Our Favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe — FREE!

Let’s get baking! Try our free chocolate cake recipe for your next sweet creation.Get the Recipe

Denise Young

Thank you I made this today and lived it ! Shame I can’t send a picture here !

Felicity and Krystle

Hi Denise Young,
Thanks for your comment. We’re happy the tutorial helped you out. We bet your cake was amazing!

Jen H

So pretty! What’s the “ice cream” inside the cone made of?

Felicity and Krystle

Hi there Jen H,

It’s just a simple sugar waffle ice cream cone! They’re edible, tasty and also it helps make decorating a whole lot easier too.

Kylie

I think Jen was asking about the “Ice Cream” INSIDE the cone. 🙂 What is THAT made of?

Ashlynn

Its probably a cake pop kind of thing… Crumbled cake mixed with frosting.

Aimee

Hi,

Is it possible to still get a good effect with a crumb coated cake, I want to keep it crumb coated / naked look but want the ganache drip effect 🙂 thanks!

Felicity and Krystle

Hi Aimee,
We think that’d look awesome too. In fact, a lot of naked cakes have been featuring the cool drip effect lately!

Elizabeth

hello, I made a dripping cake for the first time but my cake is covered in fondant. Can I put it in the fridge over night now that I added the dripping or will it ruin the drip? I don’t want it to crack or look bad from being cold but it’s so hot here that my fondant will melt if I don’t. Thank you for your help

hi

its ganache

Karena Smith

Hi,

This looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to try it myself! How did you make the scoop of ice cream? Is it icing or a cupcake dipped in the colored ganache?

Thanks!

Brittany

Hi,

Do you know if the ganache will ‘melt’ again during an 1 1/2 hour car ride? Also, how did you secure the cone at the top? I’d rather have the cake complete before transport but I don’t want it to fall apart or melt. Any tips? Thank you!!

Felicity and Krystle

Hi there Brittany,

We probably wouldn’t recommend it, but it will depend on the weather where you live. If you’re somewhere cold or even mild and keep the air-con on full blast in your car (you may need a scarf and coat) it should be OK.

We created the ice cream cone simply by making a huge cake pop ball and also using a cut down dowel rod inserted into the ‘ice cream’ that was then driven into the centre of the cake itself. Hope this helps you out!

Felicity and Krystle

Hi there Brittany,

shell

What brand & colour did you use for dripped icing please???

Nicole

Hi. I would love to know the brand and colour used for the dripping too please 😊

Jaime

How long does it take the ganache to set completely?

Sherona

Kindly can you advise the brand if the oil based food coloring used?

Thanks

Maartje

How much cream/chocolate would you recommend to use to cover one cake of 20 cm/ 7 inches?

Lydia

This ganache is not suitable for a drop cake much too thin and not how most people make ganache! I am honestly getting sick of pretty pictures and recipes that I find on the Internet that don’t produce results!

Tissa

YES Girl!! Just ruined a cake I had worked on for hours with it!!!!

Breanne

Same here. Just ruined my cake…. WAY too thin.

Cheryl

Thank you for your simple and clear instructions. More importantly, your tips.

Francesca Daley Arnold

Could i have the measurements please

Mary

Would this ganache work on a whipped cream icing?.. made from cream cheese with sugar as the base?

Jacqui

I don’t recommend 50/50 chocolate to cream. It’s way too thin. I used white chocolate and also candy melts with terrible results. Try 3 to 1 chocolate to cream instead.

Emma

Hi what are the measurements for the 50/50? is it grams to mls for the chocolate vs cream? Thanks!

Nicole

Great tutorial. Wish they included the brand of pink they used, hate it when they leave out vital information

KT

In the Materials Needed section, click on “food coloring”. It’s a live link that takes you to the wilton’s coloring they used.

Christa

It looks like the product is pretty glossy, is this how it will come out or will the glaze be a matte finish? I plan on making either a red drip cake or caramel and I feel like the red will stay put better on the cake for a summer wedding as opposed to caramel but I wanted to know what the finished product will look like.

Zach

This was a total fail for me. I used 50/50 ratio, ganache was not too hot and cake was chilled but it was a complete mess 🙁

Lindsey

I have a question about dripping the ganache over fondant… can you? You have to chill the cake before pouring the drip but you shouldnt refrigerate fondant, so how do you do it? Would it work out? Thanks!

Jenna

I refrigerate fondant all the time and it holds up just fine. Just don’t freeze it then try to bring it to room temp or it will have too much condensation on it and then run.

Nina

Hi… what is the cone just a waffle cone? And what is the ice cream bit made out of?

shelan

A mess. I used the brand of confectionary coating linked to in this post and I got an unholy mess. Never again. Proceed at your own risk.