Accessories & Home Décor

1-Hour Dopp Kit: FREE Step-by-Step Tutorial

This manly pouch is a great idea to gift to that hard-to-sew-for person in your life. This kit is lined, with fully finished seams and sturdy handles at each end. It is generously sized at 10″ long, 6 1/2″ wide and 4″ high.

Keep reading to find out how you can sew an easy (fat-quarter friendly!) Dopp kit in only 1 hour.

One Hour Dopp Kit FeatureOne Hour Dopp Kit Lining

Sew zippered bags with absolute confidence!

zip it up craftsy class

Learn 3 versatile methods and sew 3 fun bags, as you enjoy 7 HD, online video lessons.Enroll Now »

Dopp kit tutorial

(Want to save or print this tutorial? Click here to download the FREE PDF version!)

Make this Dopp kit from linen, heavier or quilting cottonscanvas or home-decor weight fabric. If you’d like the interior to be water-resistant, it can be also lined with oilcloth.

Materials:

• Outer fabric 15″ x 22″
  • Lining fabric 15″ x 22″
  • Fusible fleece 15″ x 22″ and 3″ x 10″ (optional on heavier fabrics)
  • Outer Fabric 3″x10″ (handles)
  • 16″ zipper (does not need to be a separating zipper)

Directions:

One Hour Dopp Kit Materials

1: Fuse fleece to wrong side of outer fabric and handle following the manufacturer’s directions.

1 Apply Fusible Fleece to outer

2: Fold the handle in half lengthwise and press. Fold each long edge into the center fold. Fold everything in half along the first lengthwise fold. Press well. Topstitch along each edge and once in the centre. Cut in half to make two 5″ pieces. Set aside.

2a Fold Handle sides to the center2b Fold Handle in Half2c Topstitch Handle and Cut in Two

3: Place the lining right side up. Open the zipper. Align it along the short edge of the lining with the pull tab facing up. The top zipper stops should be 1/2″ away from the left side of the fabric. Align the outer fabric. Pin or glue baste the zipper in place in preparation for sewing. Stitch the short edge with a 1/4″ seam. Use a zipper foot if desired, or move your needle to the right and use your regular foot.

3a Install zipper3b Install zipper

4: Keeping the zipper open, fold the lining right sides together. Fold the outer fabric so it is right sides together with the un-sewn short end of the lining. Align and pin/glue baste the zipper and outer as before, making sure the zipper stops are 1/2″ away from the right side of the fabric, and the zipper tab is facing up. Stitch with a 1/4″ seam, as before.

4 Install zipper

5: Make sure the lining and outer are wrong sides together. Press the lining and outer back from each edge of the zipper and top stitch.

5 Topstitch zipper

6: Fold the Dopp kit so your lining is right sides together. Close the zipper and align it at 5 1/2″, see photo below. Pin both ends of the zipper in place at centre to keep them in place through the next step.

6 Center zipper

7: Cut a 1 3/4″ wide by 1 1/2″ high rectangle from each corner of the folded fabric. Unpin your zipper.

7a Cut Dopp kit corners7b Cut Dopp kit corners

8: Turn the lining and outer wrong side out so each one is right sides together. Unzip your zipper a few inches.

8 Turn Dopp kit inside out

9: Separate the two layers of outer fabric. Pin a handle to each end of the Dopp kit around the zipper as shown in the photo below.

9 Pin handles on outer fabric

10: Make sure all layers (lining and outer) are aligned well, pin. Stitch each aligned short end of the Dopp kit with a 3/8″ seam. Stitch slowly over the zipper to avoid breaking your needle. Trim any excess zipper tape if desired. Finish seam allowances if desired.

10 Stitch ends of Dopp kit

11: Turn the Dopp kit right side out through one of the rectangular corner cuts. It may seem slow, but it will turn – just keep pulling it through.

11 Turn Dopp kit right side out

12: Re-align all corners and edges of the Dopp kit, paying close attention to the corner layers. Now we can finish the Dopp kit by making a French seam in each corner.

12 Flatten and align edges

13: Open and re-align one of the cut corners so the short-end seam aligns with the centre of the side (see photo below). Make sure all layers are well aligned. This will create a boxed corner. Stitch the raw edges with a 1/4″ seam.

13 Stitch boxed corners

14: Trim the seam to 1/8″. Repeat Steps 13 and 14 for the other three corners.

14 Trim boxed corners

15: Turn the Dopp kit inside out. Push out the four boxed corners well along their seams and pin each one.

15a Turn Dopp kit inside out15b Prepare French seam

16: Stitch each boxed corner with a 3/8″ seam, finishing the french seams and enclosing all raw edges.

16 Stitch French seams17: Turn your finished Dopp kit right side out and press each seamed edge as desired.

17 Turn Dopp kit right side out and press

Sew zippered bags with absolute confidence!

zip it up craftsy class

reina caballero

I like. It is easy to make. And it´s useful.

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

I’m so glad you like it Reina! Thank you!

Barbara OConnor

Made my first one today. Can’t believe the pattern was free. It worked up so nice. I will be making many more. Thank you very much!

Steph F.

Great tutorial! I’ve been binding the seams, but now I’m going to try the french seams!

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Great idea to use binding 🙂 So glad you like the french seams!

Mary

Love this, looking forward to trying. Just wish it was print friendly.

Nell

I agree. I’d really like to print it out.

Nell

Love this tutorial!
Just one (dumb??) question….what is a “Dopp kit”?

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Hi Nell. I wondered that too! Apparently Dopplet was the last name of the first person to start making these manly toiletry bags. The bags were mostly made of leather, and they were called Dopps in recognition of him.

Laura

Ha! I have been using French seams in my dopp bags for a long time because I’m super lazy, but I also find that sewing them this way have other benefits like keeping the lining nice and smooth (even after washing) and adds more structure at the corners!

These are very clear instructions! Bravo

Laura

Pat

Great tutorial. I love the French seams. I’ve “played around” with 3 different patterns and your’s is just what I’ve been looking for. I’ve made over 2 dozen bags in the past weeks. Thank you and Happy Holidays. Pat

LORRAINE

GREAT TUTORIAL! I do have a suggestion:
Step 11 says: Turn the Dopp kit right side out through one of the rectangular corner cuts. It may seem slow, but it will turn – just keep pulling it through.

HOWEVER, ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS UNZIP THE ZIPPER, AND TURN THE BAG RIGHTSIDE-OUT.

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Thanks Lorraine! I’m glad you like it 🙂 Unfortunately, due to the construction, the zipper is fully hidden in between the layers. Only the wrong side of the lining and outer fabrics is showing. Usually, the zipper trick would work, though – good thinking!

Barb

I’ve made several of these for Christmas gifts this year and previous years using different patterns. I’m going to try your pattern today. I love the French seam idea. However, I have been using Soft & Stable or headliner fabric, so I’m sure that would be too thick to pull through the corner opening. One revision I’ve made that I really like is to use zipper tabs. Then I can serge the seam and not serge over zipper teeth if that’s the way I’m making a bag. Thanks for your other great tutorials.

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Hmmm… Yes, I can see it being too thick to pull through the corner too. Maybe you could make larger corners (taller bag?). Or put a seam down the center of the lining for turning. LOVE your zipper tab idea – sounds really helpful. I’m glad you like the tutorials! Thank you!

Kim

Thanks so much – easy tutorial – I made one for my dad to fill with toilertries for Christmas!

Ruth

Hi, just finished making this and if you stick your fingers in the cut out corners, pull the zipper tab down, then just turn it right side out this is so much easier than trying to pull everything through the small corner opening, especially if using thicker material, just as mentioned by Lorraine. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Thanks Ruth! I will have to try this myself 🙂 Must have not understood it when Lorraine mentioned it before. Great!

Sarah

Just finished making one of these, and it really did go together quickly! I plan to make a couple slightly downsized versions to finish off my gift list. Thanks for the tutorial.

lesley

thanks so much for the tut just made one !

Amanda

I made one with indoor-outdoor canvas, and used 1/8-inch fusible lining. Would NOT recommend lining that style of canvas. Too thick , and the PUL lining I used ended up being “too long” on the inside after I tuned out the pieces after attaching the zipper… probably because the doubled lining+outer material took way more space. I ended up needing to make an accordion pleat along the zipper with the excess lining material so that it matched up inside without bunching when I was sewing all of the following seams.

Galee

I have made pouches like this and have always ended up using bias tape to hide the seam on the inside. But your technique is ingenious!!!!. Thank you so much!

Tina Spear

Is there a way I can save this pattern and tutorial in my Craftsy account in my pattern library?

Cheryl

I want to make one using a 14″ zipper – how would the dimensions change for the lining and outer pieces?

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Hi Cheryl – you can try the following, keep in mind it will make a shorter/taller DOPP kit that will be much less wide than the original.
Outer fabric 13″ x 22″
Lining fabric 13″ x 22″
Fusible fleece 13″ x 22″ and 3″ x 10″ (optional on heavier fabrics)
Outer Fabric 3″x10″ (handles)
14″ zipper (does not need to be a separating zipper)

Karissa

How did you finish the seam allowance after step 10? In the pictures you have raw edges but somehow later in the instructions you have finished seams, would you be able to explain how you did this? I realized later that they were unfinished raw edges but wasn’t sure how to get the seams you have shown in steps 15-17. Thanks

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Hi Karissa – the seams are hidden when you turn the bag right side out in steps 11-14 🙂 Hope that helps! Sherri

Lydia Tapley

Thank you for this tutorial! Brilliant instructions and measurements. I really enjoyed it and am very happy with the resulting Dopp kit. It did, however, take me more than an hour ….😏. More like four! ( a bit of unpicking was necessary!! ) But I am very particular and I used difficult fabrics. One difficulty was that my lining (laminated cotton, did not seem to “fit” inside without wrinkles.
Would it be possible to make the same size but with the bottom half being laminated to prevent it getting wet at the sink? Joining the top material 5.5″ x 15″ to a piece of laminate 11″ long 15″ wide and to another top piece 5.5″ x 15″ (with enough added to both, for a join)? I may have to give it a try! Thanks again!

Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

Lol! Yes! The first time it does take a bit longer. 🙂 I think your idea will work so long as the resulting piece is the same size as the outer – great idea!

Sandy

My daughter is wanting a bag like this that’s 7″ high, 7″ wide and 10″ long. I’ve drawn picture after picture and still can’t figure out what size I need to cut the fabric to even get started. Is there a formula I can use?