Crocheting Blog

How to Crochet Our New Favorite Trend in Texture

There's a big trend in techniques for crochet blankets: corner-to-corner crochet. The technique can be used to make any other square or (with adaptations) rectangular crochet projects.

Know how to do this already but want patterns? Here are some C2C crochet patterns from our marketplace.

Corner to Corner Crochet

Corner-to-corner crochet is as simple as granny stitch crochet, but it has a much more unique texture because of the alternating directions of the stitches.

Photos via Kathryn Vercillo of Crochet Concupiscence

As the name suggests, the technique begins in the corner. You create one block of four double crochet stitches in the corner, adding one block in each row so that you grow the square one block at a time in a triangular shape. When you get to the halfway point, reaching the size you want across the edge of the square, you decrease one block at a time until you get back down to one block on the opposite corner. It's lots of fun and makes for beautiful work!

Walk through this tutorial for specific instructions for how to make a corner-to-corner crochet square. Once you've learned the basic technique, you'll be able to apply it to square and rectangle projects like blankets, dishcloths and more.

Crochet With Feeling!

crochet textures

Elevate your crochet with three amazing textures! Learn how to stitch them all in this FREE Craftsy mini-class.Enroll FREE Now »

Corner-to-corner crochet tutorial

Crochet Chain Six

Step 1:

Chain 6.

Corner to Corner Crochet Block One

Step 2:

Crochet the first corner block. Dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 stitches.

Corner to Corner Crochet Row Two

Step 3:

Begin the 2nd row. Turn and ch 6.

Corner to Corner Crochet Block Two

Step 4:

Crochet 1st block of 2nd row. Repeat Step 2 to create the block.

Corner to Corner Crochet Insert

Step 5:

Create the 2nd block in the 2nd row.

Corner-to-corner crochet is created by adding one block to each row. The corner, of course, begins with one block, so row 2 must have two blocks. You have already created the first block of the second row. To create the second block, you will work into the space between the third and fourth DC stitches on the left side of the first block (assuming that you are working right-handed crochet).

Working into that space:

• Sl st
  • Ch 3 (counts as first dc)
  • 3 dc
Corner to Corner Crochet Row 3

Step 6:

Start crocheting the 3rd row. Row 3 will have three blocks, which you will work the same way you created the blocks in Row 2.

First, repeat Steps 3 and 4 to create the first block of Row 3. Then, repeat Step 5 twice, once in each of the two blocks from Row 2.

Corner to Corner Crochet SquaresCorner to Corner Crochet End Row 3

Continuing your corner-to-corner crochet square

To keep growing your square, you will repeat Step 6, adding one more block each time. Do this until the row that you are on is the length of the square that you want to crochet. You will now have completed a triangle that is also the first half of your square.

How to Corner to Corner Crochet

Notice that the grain of the squares alternates direction from row to row, slanting up to left first, then the right. This creates a unique texture that can be fun to play with when working in solid colors as well as when working with variegated yarns.

Corner-to-corner decrease

Corner to Corner Decrease

When you have reached the size that you want across the long edge of your triangle, you are ready to decrease back down to the opposite corner. Each row will have one less block than the row before it. Here is how you make each decrease:

• Turn your work as normal to begin your next row.
  • Sl st in each of the 3 dc stitches of the first block on the right.
  • Work your blocks as normal across the row (repeating step 6 from above).
  • However, do not work a block in the last block on the left side of the work. Instead, simply sl st into that space where you would have worked a block if this were an increase row.

And that's it! Keep decreasing until you get down to one block at the corner opposite the beginning of your work. Finish off and weave in your ends.

Crochet your square into a rectangle

Love the texture of the corner to corner crochet stitch but want to create a rectangle instead of a square? No problem. Here are the basics:

• Crochet your corner-to-corner square until one straight side is the same length that you want the shorter side of your rectangle to be.
  • Continue crocheting, but alternate increases and decreases each row, always increasing in the same direction and decreasing in the same direction. This keep the straight side the same length that it was while increasing the length of the other side.
  • When your long side has reached the length that you want it to be, decrease as normal.

Crochet With Feeling!

crochet textures

Josie

In the corner to corner crotchet instructions, it says DC, however the stitch looks like a treble to me. Am I correct. Thanks

Charis Cooper

These are US terms so
US double crochet = UK treble crochet

Josie

Thank you for your response.

Jill

Josie this is directed at Charis…has nothing to do with crocheting. Your name Charis is spelled just like my daughter Charis. We pronounce her name…..shareus or share us. Just put the two words together. I am curious as to how you pronounce your name. I never see this name..it is very unusual and so I just had to ask about your name. I love the name by the way.

sally

it will be us double crochet and uk treble single crochet is our double crochet, most of them are on stitch out, we do not have a single crochet

Connie

I have made an error,,,wrong color on two blocks on an afghan:(
Is there any way to fix it, like crochet over with the correct color, or something, without ripping out much of the work? Anyone have experience with this. Please Help!!

Eliz

Was there an answer to this? I have done this as well

Mandy C

Personally, is just leave it as is. Whoever it is for will probably never even notice, and to me, it just adds character. There’s nothing else to be done, to my knowledge.

Anna

I have done this several times also… I cut the yarn in the middle of the block and undo it so that I have the working loop (of course you must do this in the previous row without working over it or it is much more difficult) then with the working loop, I pick up with the correct color then after the three double crochets, I slip stitch in the corner of the next stitch and cut the yarn- effectively mending the hole with the correct color. My redone stitches aren’t even noticeable after I weave in the ends.
Hope this helps!
Anna

Judy James

Placing the white yarn stitches on the red back ground make it so easy to see the stitches. Thank You, Judy

Patricia McKim

I have had trouble with decreasing on one side & increasing on other side to reach desired length can u help

Beth

Place a safety pin or stitch marker on one edge. Increase on that side and decrease on the non-marker edge to help you remember which edge you need to increase/decrease.

Sarah

I love this stitch. I used it to make scarves for gifts. They turned out so nice and the family I gave them to really liked them too.

LindseyD

i have a problemo…I increased to the size I wanted but my decreased half is too small ! ! what the heck have i done wrong?

jbat

I tried this pattern with a small dish clothes to get the hang of it. Great instructions! Gonna try an rectangle afagan, with some verigated.

Katrina

Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I have been wanting to learn c2c since seeing all the beautiful projects being made from them. But I didn’t have wifi to watch video of how to do it. But your easy written tutorial has been a blessing! I can now c2c because of your sweet kindness to just write out instructions with pictures! Thank you so very much!!! I’m sharing this with everyone I know! Blessings!

Karen

I’m currently working a c2c that I had someone design for me. When I get to row 80 there are 80 blocks then when I get to rows 81-84 there are still 80 blocks. Then it starts to decrease. How do I keep the rows the same num of blocks for those rows? The lady that created the graph for me is on vacation & the blanket is for my daughter’s shower so I’m getting stressedout that I won’t finish it. Do I just slip stitch in the last block and turn? Any advice you can give is truly appreciated! This is my first c2c.

Marilyn

I am having the same problem,, not knowing how to keep the same number of blocks. and would also appreciate an answer
Thanks

Chrissy

You decrease on one side and increase on the the other. Akways decreasing on the same side. This will keep the stitches the same amount of times.

CrissyJo

has anyone tried this kind of ctc with single crochets or half double crochet?