Quilting Blog

Stitch a Scrappy Flag Quilt Block for Flag Day!

What better way for quilters to celebrate Flag Day than by stitching a scrappy little flag quilt block?

finished scrappy flag day quilt block

American flag quilt block tutorial

This block will be 8'' once it is sewn into a project, or 8 1/2'' alone. It can made up of scraps, but would also look nice with just one red fabric and one cream fabric for all of the stripes. This block is a great complement to our previous monthly scrappy blocks.

Download a printable version of this tutorial here.

Step 1:

From the blue fabric with stars, cut one 3 1/2'' square.

From the red scraps cut one strip 1 1/2'' x 3 1/2'' and two strips 1 1/2'' x 6 1/2''.

From the cream scraps cut two strips 1 1/2'' x 3 1/2'' and one strip 1 1/2'' x 6 1/2''.

From the background fabric cut two strips 1 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' and two strips 1 1/2'' x 8 1/2''.

fabric scraps for flag day quilt block

Step 2:

Be sure to use a 1/4" seam allowance.

Sew the 1 1/2'' x 3 1/2'' strips together lengthwise, as shown in the photo.

Sew the 1 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' strips together lengthwise, as shown in the photo.

Press the seam allowances toward the red strips.

sewing the strips of fabric into the flag quilt block

Step 3:

Sew the blue square to the end of the 3 1/2'' strip set.

Press the seam allowances toward the blue square.

piecing together the fabric strip sets

Step 4:

Sew the block/strip set to the 6 1/2'' strip set.

Press the seam allowance toward the white strip.

Sew the 6 1/2'' borders to the sides of the block.

Press the seam allowance toward the border strips.

adding the fabric strip side borders to the flag quilt block

Step 5:

Sew the 8 1/2'' border strips to the top and bottom of the block.

Press the seam allowances toward the border strips.

The block will measure 8 1/2'' square.

adding the top and bottom borders fabric strips to the quilt block

More Flag Day ideas:

This flag quilt block would make a great little mug rug or hot pad all by itself. Just layer, quilt and bind it as you would any quilt. It would also make a fun patriotic small quilt — just add a few borders.

These blocks are easy and fast enough that you could sew up a whole collection of them and make a quilt in any size you choose. It would be a great way to use up lots of red, white and blue scraps. You could also alternate these blocks with star blocks. The patriotic ideas to celebrate flag day are unlimited!

finished scrappy flag day quilt block

Creative quilting options for this flag quilt block:

• You could try quilting this block with wave patterns in the stripe sections, or a heart or star motif in the blue square.
  • A simple crosshatch or stitching in the ditch would also complement this block.
  • Don't have any star fabric? Sew some star shaped buttons onto the blue square, or appliqué a wool star or heart onto the blue square.

Don't forget to share your finished blocks and projects in the Quilting Projects Gallery. We love to see what you are working on! Have a very happy Flag Day!

Free Online Quilting Class

quilting for beginners

Learn quiltmaking basics and make four treasured quilts.Enroll FREE Now »

jane neal

Hello y’all, I love the quilts and instructions. I’m not a well seasoned quilter,but I love to sew.

Viv Logue

I would love to try that pattern!

LisaL

Very cute…and easy! I love anything patriotic!!

judy jaques

Thanks for sharing the pattern. I made a small quilt using it. judy jhttp://hardincountykeepsakes.blogspot.com/2015/06/bearsdoll-bed-quiltflag-quilt.html

marcycn

Our flag starts with a red stripe and this block should also.

Diane Knott

This is a stylized version of flag. It is not meant to be proportional or accurate. The block is simply meant to represent the spirit of patriotism. I can assure you that no offense was intended.

Mel B

Love the idea of Flag design in a quilt.
I’m wondering, Why do some people make critical comments, without recognizing something nice or good? I think if a negative comment is made, you need to also recognize a positive element. That writer would probably have a stroke, if she/he could see the one I’m beginning to make.. A Quilt of the Confederate Flag, with a few other historical designs . Log cabin, Indians, buffalo, Flag/13 stars, and one similar to the above US flag. Bet I could get controversy over that if I was to post the picture, You think so, marcycn?

Elaine

Love the block pattern! I’m new to sewing. But want to try this for a quilt. How many yards would I need to do a full size quilt top.

Clarice by ...Its a stitch.

Can’t this flag pattern be in a printable form from emaIl? Another question is…how can I conform this into a place mat? Or lap quilt? An idea for you — make one as a door hanger.

Nina

I was thinking the same. I would make the strips longer and the stars in the top corner also a little bigger. And I would still use the border to finish it. It would be great and I plan to do some for my table.

Tina

Displaying the flag in this direction is in correctly displaying it. The flag should either be horizontal as its flying on a pole -OR- the flag is turned in what looks like it is backwards with the Stars being on the left side and the white and red stripes on the right.
The stars always lead us into battle.

Nancy

This is such a great idea. I am a new quilter and am going to try to make this one. I also make quilted cards and will add it to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

Laurie

I made mine into a cute door hanger. I did the whole thing using scraps! I love this pattern you are so clever !

Chris

Love this and I am making a modern quilt with numerous of these blocks off set. Can hardly wait for it to be done

Peggy

Flag protocol says field of stars should be displayed in the upper left corner!

Diane

Please know that the photos were taken and loaded with the stars in the upper left corner. The photos will appear that way on some computers and devices. Some tablets and phones will reformat the photos. The photos appears sideways on my phone. I truly meant no disrespect to the flag. My apologies for anyone who is offended.

P Blanton

Let’s be proud and glad that someone had the desire to make the Flag block. I don’t believe there was any ill intent or disrespect. we all love our country and our Flag. Let’s love one another also. Diane has apologized if she upset anyone and that should be enough. Let’s go sew and try this beautiful block. Hugs to all.

donna

For crying out loud it’s a quilt sq…free at that…don’t like scroll on by…

Cathy Y

I so agree! Be creative!

Kathy Boggess

Amen

Sandi

Well said!

becky anderson

Some people must just have more time to whine about things than I do. I’m to busy sewing!

Sheri

If a person wants to make a lap quilt with these squares, how much material would I need. My granddaughter is in the army national guards and I want to make this.

Becky

I created a similar version since I couldn’t find one. I am making a quilt with flags from all the countries I have hosted my 26 exchange students from for myself. I am also making a two-sided pillow with American flag on one side and their country’s flag in the other for the student’s.