Sewing Blog

How Do I Fix My Sewing Machine: Troubleshooting Your Janome

Ever been caught in a sewing blunder and wondered, "How can I fix my sewing machine?" Well, I've been teaching on Janome machines for about 6 years, and I have seen some consistent complications along the way. If some of these issues sound familiar to you, hopefully my Janome sewing troubleshooting tips will get you back on track quickly so you can return to the fun part: sewing!

Most of these problems and solutions are applicable to all brands of machines, so even if you do not have a Janome machine, read on, as these will likely work for you too!

Free Online Sewing Machine Class

sewing class

Learn to fix common sewing machine problems & get better results.Enroll FREE Now »

We have other free sewing mini classes here!

Here's my basic guide to fixing common sewing machine problems!

janome

But first, remember to cut yourself some slack!

Learning the little tips and tricks of a sewing machine can take time. Think of your machine just like you think of your car; each has its own quirks that are unique to it and that can take some time getting used to when you start working with something new, even if you have been sewing for a long time.

Just like even if you have been driving for decades, when you get into a rental car, it can feel like you've never driven before because everything is in a new place and all the knobs behave differently than the car you're used to driving. This is the same feeling when learning how to use a Janome sewing machine, or any new machine for that matter. So, don't let yourself get discourage if you run into a couple issues!

Problem #1: There are three threads instead of two at the presser foot and the threads are tight.

Troubleshoot: Your machine is still in the middle of a stitch and the "third" thread is not actually a third thread at all, rather it is the bobbin and needle threads looping, trying to form a stitch that you've interrupted.

Solution: Check the take-up lever (the metal hook that moves up and down at the top of the machine directly above the presser foot area) is in the highest position before lifting your presser foot. Raise the take-up lever manually by turning your handwheel toward you and "finishing" the stitch. Your fabric and threads will pull out of the machine with ease now, as you are at the end of a stitch cycle.

Problem #2: The machine is making a loud sound, the fabric isn't going anywhere, and the stitches look loose and messy.

Troubleshoot: This will occur when you have started sewing with the presser foot still in the upright position. The feed dogs cannot pull the fabric through the machine without the foot down on top of them, and the thread is jamming around the fabric, making a big mess.

Solution: The feed dogs need the presser foot to be on top of the fabric, holding it in place so it can be pulled through the machine. Simply unclog your jam, remove any excess threads on the fabric and inside the machine, and start again.

Problem #3: The machine comes unthreaded when you start sewing.

Troubleshoot Plan A: This is something I see all the time with new sewers, and the answer could be one of a few issues. One answer could be that your threads are too short and/or were not under the presser foot upon starting to sew. The short thread could be pulled out of the eye of the needle when the machine starts to sew, unthreading itself.

Solution: Make sure the threads from the bobbin and the eye of the needle are 3-4 inches long, under the presser foot, and hanging back behind the machine.

Troubleshoot Plan B: Another answer could be that you finished your sewing mid-stitch and the take up lever is not in the highest (finished) position. The machine then tries to finish the stitch when you start sewing, sometimes unthreading the needle since the machine is in the middle of the stitch's cycle.

Solution: When you finish sewing, before you pick up your presser foot to pull out your project, always check to make sure your take-up lever is in the top position. If it isn't, simply turn the handwheel on the right side of your machine toward you and finish the stitch until the take-up lever is as high as it will go. Then pick up the presser foot and pull your project from the machine.

Problem #4: The stitch looks really loose and loopy on one side of the fabric or both sides of the fabric.

Troubleshoot Plan A: One possible problem is that the thread has fallen out of the take-up lever, which can happen if the machine was jammed along the way.

Solution: Look to see if the machine is threaded properly, both into the tension discs and the take-up lever. If not, re-thread the machine properly and try again.

Troubleshoot Plan B: Another possible issue is that your bobbin tension might be off, which can happen if the thread from the bobbin isn't going into the tension area on the bobbin casing or in the drop-in bobbin tension area.

Solution: Take the bobbin out and rethread the bobbin threads, making sure that the thread is properly inserted into the tension area on the bobbin casing or the drop-in bobbin tension.

Troubleshoot Plan C: A third spot to check is to see if your tension discs are set to the wrong setting on the machine.

Solution: Check to make sure that the tension dial on the machine is set to the middle "automatic" setting on the machine. Refer to your manual for the suggested setting if you are unsure as to what that is.

Problem #5: The thread is really tight when you pull it through the machine and it's creating an uneven stitch.

Troubleshoot Plan A: It is likely that when threading your machine, you accidentally threaded the spool of thread through the bobbin winding tension at the top of the machine.

Solution: The first thing to always check is to make sure if you have threaded the machine properly, so pull out the manual and confirm to see if you have threaded it following their instructions. If so, and you're still having these issues, try the troubleshoot below.

Troubleshoot Plan B: The other possible issue is that the tension is set incorrectly. Most of the time the machine will be best to sew on the "automatic" setting, and lots of new sewers think they need to move this dial a lot. But the reality is that it's best on the basic setting.

Solution: Refer to your manual and set the tension at the "automatic" setting and try the stitch again.

Problem #6: The machine is skipping stitches and sewing an uneven looking stitch.

Troubleshoot: Quite possibly this is happening as a result of a dull sewing machine needle.

Solution: Change your needle to a fresh sharp needle, making sure as always to select a needle that is the correct type and size for the fabric of your project.

Problem #7: The machine is trying to sew and making sewing-like sounds, but the fabric is not moving through the machine.

Troubleshoot: If you have followed the suggestions above and have checked that the machine is threaded correctly, and the presser foot is down on top of the feed dogs, and it's still not sewing, it's likely that your machine is set to the "free-motion" or "darning" set, which disables the feed dogs.

Solution: Refer to your manual and find out how to change the machine back to regular sewing, engaging the feed dogs so they can pull the fabric through the machine properly.

I hope these prove to be helpful as you encounter issues along the way with your sewing! And as a general rule, reading your manual can be of huge help during times of crisis, so be sure to start there and see what they have to say about fixing a problem.

Free Online Sewing Machine Class

sewing class

We have other free sewing mini classes here!

Lynne Macnicol

I’ve just started sewing and was given an old machine by a friend but every time I used it the material would get stuck in the ‘track’, If that’s the right word. I bought a new machine today and initially the same thing happened but I’ve managed to get it working fine now. I think the problem might have been that I was pulling or pushing the material instead of just guiding and allowing the machine to do the rest. Does that sound about right?

audrey

My one step machine is only sewing a straight line

srue talley

My janome machine works great but the bobbin winder spinder is not picking up the threat…please i need help thank you

SHAN

I am having the same trouble. Would really appreciate some help. Iv been trying to fix it for the last 3 hours to no avail

K

My Jenome did that after my daughter was too rough with it. I took it back to where I purchased and the man (who has fixed sewing machines for decades) said it was “out of time”. Like a car, the 2 threads (upper and lower) need to be in sync or the top thread won’t pick up the bottom thread. He fixed it. I would never have been able to fix it. He also said the problem was very rare but that it can happen jumping onto heavy seams and things of that sort.

Lynne Macnicol

Sharyl Lasky

What if my machine wont reverse?

Doris Roberts

The reverse lever does nothing.

Susan

My one step Janome reverse doesn’t work. Is it an easy fix I can do?

Karina

On my Janome (bought in 2012), even on ‘easy’ fabrics, like non-stretch cotton – not too thin or too thick, I can’t get a decent zigzag stitch that does not pucker on top.. I am forced to always use the multiple stitch zigzag. I have played with the thread tension and even played with adjusting the lower bobbin thread tension with the small screw, but to no avail. Any old machine I run the same fabric on (Singer, Husqvarna…etc.) is able to do it right, and without any severe adjustments. I have asked my seller about this and he just snubbed me by saying: “that is how it should be, all machines do that”. Surely, this is not reasonable for a 600 dollar machine! Any similar experiences? Any suggestions?

Rowena

I’ve also had this problem with every single one of the ‘cheaper’ Janome machines I have owned. Same with other people I lnow. In fact, my mother refuses to buy Janomes for that reason.

I bought a MemoryCraft for a couple thousand and fortunately it was free of this problem. Not everyone needs that much machine though.

S wilson

I have a Janome too- not super happy with it because it has needed more maintenance visits than any other machines I’ve owned in more than 30 years of sewing. However, for your problem, since you’ve already tried adjusting tensions, I’d suggest you use a foot that has a little metal bar in the center so that the zigzag stitch will be forced into not being too tight. I’m not sure but it might be an overcasting foot.

Annie

I own the Janome Horizons 8200 (apx. $2500.00) and I’ve never gotten a decent zigzag stitch. The fabric draws together and doesn’t lie flat. Mostly I love my Janome because I’m a quilter but it’s ridiculous to own an expensive machine that can’t do a zigzag. I’ve never had this problem in 52 years of sewing. Have you gotten any useful tips?

Tracy

I just bought a brand new Janome 3000 because my other machine would bounce while I was sewing. Janome is a metal base so it is heavier. It does not bounce when I am sewing but I just went to use the zig zag stitch and all I am getting is a straight stitch. Also it seems that the bobbin thread when I am loading a bobbin is rather loose compared to any machines I have used prior. The bobbin seems to work just fine, I have not had a problem with it. Does anyone no how to use the zig zag stitch? I followed the instructions to no avail. Considering returning this machine to Amazon and buying something else. Have been sewing with Brother and Singer machines all my life.

Della Appleyard

When I tried to sew a button hole, I ended up with a load of loose thread under the fabric and the machine was making a knocking noise from the area of the bobbin. Can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong? My machine is a Janone.

Jennie

Thank you so much! I was getting so frustrated because my fabric kept getting “stuck” on the machine, and it looked like three threads were holding it down. I found the solution in “Problem #1.” Thank you, thank you!

patrick

my mom nas a janome the needle keeps hiting the plate on top of the hook how do i fix this pls help

Michelle

Your needle alignment may need to be adjusted. Sometimes this happens if you pull the material rather than let the machine feed it. I took my HV in and it was alignment. For less than 30.00 they realigned it and now works like a charm, no more breaking needles!

Sandra Reed

Quite often my presser foot falls off. I read the instructions, attach it again and eventually it falls off again. My husband tells me to get rid of the machine since I’ve gotten where I hate sewing with it.

Damien Yam

Hi I have a Janome 6260QC (some websites stated that this is a discontinued model but found that is not true when I checked with the local dealer – I bought a new one a few months ago). Very good machine and all the “problems” I faced are actually user problem – and the tips given in this website are very useful reminders not to commit the same mistakes again – badly threaded machine, tension incorrectly set, presser foot not at the highest position, turning the knob towards you to raise the needle, etc… But will appreciate one clarification – what is bobbin tension? Is it the way the bobbin was threaded or there is a dial to adjust that?
Happy sewing and who says men cannot sew!! I can !! ha ha ha

Dawn

Bobbin tension is adjusted with the tiny screw on the bobbin case. It rarely needs to be changed unless you are using very heavy upholstery weight thread.

Char

I have no problem with stitches, loose, or tight. No problem with anything else EXCEPT that my machine starts off to fast no matter how hard I try to control it with my foot. Can I oil it or something????

Dawn

Do you have a speed control slider or knob? If not you may need to check if the pedal is sticking. If the pedal is pressing smoothly then it may be helpful to start by turning the hand wheel a bit. If it sounds like it needs to rev up before it takes off then turning the hand wheel as you gently pres the pedal should ease the start up.

shaheen shah

My machine has suddenly stopped working, it turns on but does not do the decorative stitches. It does not go on to those stitches.

ken

we have two janome machines, not used for a while. neither one will staart sewing. One of them beeps when we try to sew.

Molly

Sometimes the bobbin winder post is engaged and the machine – perfectly functional – can’t work until it’s (bobbin winder post) is back in proper position.

maggie

my bobbin keeps getting unthreaded from the tension groove in the bobbin case. tension is set to automatic. how do I prevent this from happening?

Lisa

I have a memory craft Janome machine. Is it okay to use some Singer sewing machine oil I have on hand to oil the wick under the bobbin as I am unable to get any other specialized sewing machine oil for awhile?

Nancy Olson

Why does my pressure foot drop after I have raised it — usually a couple of times before it stays up?

Audrey Barnes

I recently purchased a Janome 7700 and I totally enjoy using it except for free motion quilting. I cannot seem to get it to sew with a smooth stitch on the back. I have continuous loops. I have no problem doing fmq on my old Kenmore.

Bernadine

My sewing machine eye had come off the shaft. How do I put it back on.

lisa

Why when I sit down to sew press the pedal my maxhine wheel sounds like it’s spinning but don’t I have to turn the wheel by hand to get it started so frustrating

S wilson

Sounds like the sewing machine belt is slipping and needs to be replaced. You probably need to take it in for repair.

maria ehler

my machine does not want to wind the thread to the bobbin. the apparatus does not want to turn so that it winds the thread to the bobbin.

S wilson

I had the same problem with my Janome. It is most likely a belt that needs to be replaced. You should take it for repair.

Mary Ellen McWhirter

My machine sounds right and the meddle moves correctly. But the thread wraps consistently around the top of the bobbin. It seems to get caught on a part of the bobbin on the bottom right of the bobbin box. I am an experienced sewing person but have never encountered this. Help!

Trinket

Wads of thread means your tensions are not balanced. Your bobbin is properly set when a full bobbin in the case just barely supports its own weight dangling from the thread. If you jiggle it a little it should slowly slide down. Then test sew to ensure the knot I’d between layers. You tighten the top tension a little if the knot is on the underside and loosen the top tension if the knot is on the topside.

If your machine is breaking threads and it is threaded properly and the tensions are set properly and you have a good needle, check to ensure the needle is in correctly. There is a groove in the needle for the thread to lie in as it is carried through the fabric. Almost 100% of the time, the flat part of the needle goes to the back if your bobbin is put in from the front and it goes to the right if your bobbin goes in from the end.

Ball-point needles work best for any stretchy fabric.

Diane

I recently purchased a used Janome 4618LE from an individual, this is my 1st exposure to Janome, my big machine is a Brother and I have an older Singer. My question is, why can’t I get the reverse to work on the Janome?

ken

We have two Janome machines that have been idle for a while. Neither one will start sewing. one of them Beeps when we tty to sew.

Molly

Check your bobbin winder. If accidentally engaged, the machine won’t start. Ask me how I know ….

Judi Lance

I have a Janome DC5100. Whenever I do zig zag, the thread frays, I think it’s coming from the tension.

Annie

It is more likely that you have burrs on your hook tip, or needle pokes on your needle plate or you need a new, properly sized needle. The needle you can try yourself, but the others need to be done by a service tech. (Burrs are a very common result of the needle grazing the hook tip as it passes by to collect bobbin thread) good luck

Margaret Ferne

Janome my style 22

When trying to sew the bobbin becomes knotted in the bobbin case.
Solution PLEASE.

Annie

Make and model? Drop in bobbin style or oscillating front load?

Jade

Your solution to problem number six is wrong. Google “shuttle hook timing.” And in the future, don’t write blog posts that give false solutions to desperate people.

Fatema

That solution of mentioned problem is so beautiful and effective. Sometimes I face some problem and get angered when thread are cut again and again, it is so disturbing I Sewing is the best art of life. It is very necessary for any human being. If you can sewing then you can be benefited in your daily life. For getting good sewing experience you need a good and smooth sewing machine.If you want to good work then you should know about maintenance of sewing machine.

Betty

My Janome 625E sews Extremely slow. This just started, have had the machine for many years. Cant find anywhere in instructions how to oil it.

Su Stewart

Hi did you ever find a solution as to why your Janoame 656 sewing machine went on a go slow? Mine has the same problem!
thanks (hopefully ) in advance
Su

Connie

Has anyone found out about Janome running extremely slow? Mine just started after not using it for a while.

Annette

Have u checked if there is a switch on the foot pedal for 2 speeds?

Polly

I have a Janome 10000. I am the original owner and it has put on a lot of miles sewing!
I am running into a problem with winding the bobbin. It will start to wind and then the buzzer will beep and it will stop winding. I can step back on the pressed foot, rewind a little more and the buzzer goes off again and it stops winding. It seems to be happening more and more!
Can you tell me what you think is going on……I don’t have support close by…..will be a 3 1/2 hour drive to nearest support. I went on the Janome site but will have to wait until Monday to call them. Any thoughts on what could be causing my problem? Thanks!

joyce

My Brother sewing machine JX2517 just shut down while I was sewing and will not start and the light will not come on trying to find out what happen

joyce

Please help with my Brother JX2517 sewing machine it will not start the light will not come on could the speed controller be burn out please help let me know what I need to do

anne

Janome DC6030….somehow, when winding a new bobbin, the thread has wound around the post underneath the bobbin holder/cutter on the spindle on the top of the machine. Does the little cutter come off the machine so I can access the thread underneath?

anne ferguson

When winding a new bobbin on my Janome DC6030, I somehow ended up with a bunch of thread wound on the spindle underneath the bobbin holder/cutter. Does the cutter come off so I can access the thread underneath?

SANDHYA GOYAL

Machine is sewing in reverse direction(whether the reverse stitch button is pressed or not).Plz tell me the way to fix it.

Annie

It would be helpful to know the model# and if computerized or not? Most likely your machine should have a service. The reverse mechanisms quite commonly can seize up. Generally speaking, in my experience anyways, going forward usually works while reverse won’t? Double check all your dials are set properly and no button hole stitch is set. Otherwise, a visit to the repair shop…

KarthicK

Hi,

The inner wheel of my hand wheel rotates but it does not rotate the shaft. When I rotate the outer cap of the hand wheel the shaft rotates. For some reason they do not act in sync and I could not figure out how the shaft and the inner wheel are connected. Can you help?

Stephanie

I am having this problem currently also did you ever get an answer?

Gloria

i have a janome 11000 embroidery machine and I put a design in and then decided not to do it and put I another before deleting the first now it’s not responding

jenny

I can’t figure out how to put the horn back in, I had taken it out mistakenly to change my bobbin, now i see i didn’t have to but can’t get it back.

Lana

I just got a new Janome HD3000 yesterday. It won’t sew a reverse stitch when I press the reverse stitch button. I have it set on 13 for straight stitch sewing, A foot, stitch length 3, thread tension dial on 4. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong, or I should return it, in my sewing I need to back tack. Please help

Heather

I have a Memory Craft 5700. For the past couple of months, I’ve had this problem where the bobbin thread comes out straight (so the top thread “loops” show) on the bottom, no matter how much I tighten (or loosen) the tension. The top thread tension is set to normal, but it doesn’t matter what I do with that either. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Renee nicholson

My Janine see mini 525 will not zigzag at all ever since I bought it. Why ?

Jack

When I turn on the switch, the motor run automatically without stepping on the pedal. How can I fix it?

Tom Hummel

There is a likely short circuit eiter in the foot control or in / close to electrical connectors in the machine. / in or close to the motor. I’m about to look into the same matter now and was looking for a way to get the lid off.

jennie

I have a memorey craft 8000 janome now the memorey touch screen has gone dark and I cannot see any stitches . How did you get the top of your machine off. I think mine needs LCDboard but do not know how to take the top off to get to it. any ans,

Tom Hummel

In my case (Husqvarna / Viking 2000) there was a capacitor in parallel with the foot controller (speed regulator) that was defect.
It was inside the machine itself, connected to the two wires to the foot controller.
After a short while the machine started running by itself when the capacitor started letting the electrical current through itself (kind of “opening a port). Simply removing it solved the matter.
The capacitor’s task is to remove electrical noise which can be heard on radios and seen on old television screens, It may also help reducing tiny electrical sparks within the foot controller that may make it warm or eventually far too hot.
Replacing the capacitor whit a high quality one with the same electrical specifications might be the best solution, although I’ve read that some people do not.replace it.

To be this kiind of home electrician you must know what you’re doing and fully understand the potential dangers of repairing high voltage electrical devices.

Remoiving the electrical cord from the outlet when not using the sewing machine is absolutely essential, which this case proved.

It’s sad to see that even though the machine as a mechanical device is solid and well constructed, the electrical construction is far too cheap and potentially dangerous. Trusting a single electrical component that will certainly detoriate after som years and make the machine run by itself at full speed.
No electrical device is to be fully trusted!

Regards, Tom Hummel. Norway

Tom Hummel

(No editing function that I’m aware of here. Bad keyboard at my site and making many mispellings, but it’s readable, though …)

Brenda

I have a Janome 6260 and when I sew pillow case cuffs or quilting blocks with thicker seams, my sewing machine does not seem to be able to sew through. The needle ends up staying in the same place and creating a bit knot. Or if the machine does go through the fabric, the stitches are very tiny and then normalize after going through the seam. I don’t know if it is the machine or if I am doing something wrong, I have cleaned the machine, getting lint out, checked feed dogs,re threaded the bobbin and machine. I am ready to throw this machine out the window….but everytime I research everyone raves about it.

theresa

My singer machine was running at one time, then it wouldn’t feed material through. Then the light went out, now will not run. Can u tell me what it is?

Caron

hi, the re-winding of the bobbin sticks, not rewinding smoothly, please advise

tx

Stephanie

Hi
I broke my sewing machine needle on my husqvarna viking and am looking to change it over, however the twisty knob to loosen it is so tight it wont move. any suggestions on how to loosen it?

Joy

I have same. I guess you wold have tried thr screw driver in the end of the knob? Maybe try a longer screw driver for more purchase.

Sally

I bought a Janome HD1000 while my Brothers was being repaired. I hate this machine. It is difficult to get the bobbin right, I have to load, reload, rethread it multiple times. Sometimes in the middle of sewing fine it gets out of wack. It won’t do a zig zag stitch on multi layers, something I really need. I hope I can trade this machine in on something better. I bought it because I thought it was heavy duty. It is just duty!

Emily

I have a Jenome my excel 18W and I’m sewing a zig zag stitch on to a thick material. I think the material is too thick/close to the foot so the machine can’t grab and move the material up. Is there a way to raise the height of the footer so that my material fits underneath it better whilst sewing?

Shelley Green

My foot peddle on my Janome 6019 Quilters Companion has broken! Where can I get a new one?

fiona

I have a Janome 140m Mini sewing machine, it was working fine then all of a sudden it started doing a couple of stitched and then make a noise and jam, I have cleaned it all re threaded, checked tension, but nothing makes any difference can anyone tell me what the problem is ?

Tara E

I just got a vintage Coronado automatic ZZ. It keeps skipping stitches. It’s been completely cleaned, new needle, tension unit taken apart and checked very carefully… rough spots on underside of needle plate smoothed out. There is one spot on the needle plate that has been punched by a needle at some point. Could that be causing the issue? Any other ideas? Help!

Billy Thomas

The thres keep tangling as I try to feed the fabric through every time

martha montano

My machine when you turn it on it says error number 1

Gwen

I have a janome mc 1000 that keeps on overheating after 5 mins of being on I can’t use the screen when this happens

Happy in hooke

I have the same problem error 2. Driving me potty! Sometimes five minutes,sometimes five stiches! Can’t overheat that fast surely?

Alex

my sewing machine motor is doing slow motion

Cath Brown

I have a Brother LS-2125 and it has been going great, however during sewing a blankie for my granddaughter there was a clunk and my needle seemed stuck. I took it all apart, cleaned it, changed the needle in case I’d damaged it but now the upper thread won’t pick up the bobbin thread..! Have checked the manual and Brother online support but all it says is what I have already done. Any ideas?

jude

my sewing machine needle is stuck in the fabric and wont come out.
the thread has been removed and its not the bobbin as I took it out.
when I try to manually turn the needle so it comes out of the fabric it makes a noise and wont move.
even when I turn it off and try it is still jammed
does anyone know what I should do

Chris

You may have solved this problem by now but if not why not remove the needle (just release it by turning the little metal knob at the top of needle). You should then be able to get the material out. If you re-fit the needle and try it again, checking first that you have it threaded up correctly.

Angela

Hi,
Did you find out how to unjam your needle. I have the same problem. I tried unscrewing the needle as if to change it but it is still jammed in to the fabric. I’ve removed all the thread but it just won’t move. Any ideas?
Many thanks.

Aysha

I have a Janome XL-II back form 1986. It was working fine all along but then I didnt use it for a while. Now the Ring with St, L, M, R written seems jammed. What to do?

Evelyn

I have a Memory Craft 4000 and the bottom threads are very loose and loopy, can I fix this myself?

Stella Childress

I have a Janome sewing machine up until a couple of days ago it sewed great, I was trying to take in a pair of shorts which are cotton, and when I start to sew the arm that holds the needle starts to vibrate and shimmer. Never did that before. Any ideas what I can do to fix it myself, since I can not afford to take it to a shop. I always pretty much was able to take care of my own machine, but this stumped me. HELP

Stacy Surface

I just got a new embroidery machine and every time I try to thread the needle the hook just keeps cutting my thread. What is going on here? What do I need to do?

Ann Johnson

Bobbin image remains on screen even though the bobbin wonder is in disengaged position and machine will only sew in single stitch

Roylene

I am trying to fill my bobbin and the winder is slipping so the bobbin won’t turn on the spindle. Is this something I can fix?

Susan

I bought an old Kenmore sewing machine at a garage sale, that looks like it’s in good condition. I’ve oiled everything, checked it all out. I tried to do a forward zigzag stitch, and it only sews a sloppy straight line. The backwards zigzag stitch works beautifully! What could the problem be? I don’t want to take it in for service if it is a simple repair…

Kellie

I bought a new Janome Magnolia 7330 after sewing on a Pfaff for 30 years, which by the way still sews beautifully. I have always been good at troubleshooting machine problems but this one has me stumped.
I believe it is an issue with the feed dog which will not raise or lower. When I begin to sew the needle will move up and down several times then abruptly stop and the Lo code will display on the panel. The manual says to wait and let machine rest and then try again. It does the same thing every time. The machine is clean with no stuck threads. I’m very disappointed in this machine but hope you can suggest a way to fix it.

Nada

Greetings…I have a Decor Excel 3018 Janome machine with a one-step buttonhole attachment…however…I can only get it to make nice buttonholes perhaps 90% of the time. Any suggestions?

Cynthia Mahdalik

I have a Janome Gem sewing machine and a friend decided to clean the lint out. She pulled the oil wick out which is just under the bobbin case and a tiny black tube fell out – I have it saved in a baggy. The machine is back together again and seems to be sewing okay. I need to know if anyone knows anything about the tiny black tube. I would imagine the oil wick went through the tube. I really think the wick should not have been pulled out of the casing. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Judy White

Hi Cynthia
Just wondered if you had an answer to your problem. I cleaned out my bobbin case & thought the wick was lint so I removed it. Did you use your machine without the wick?

Samar

Hello my janomi sewing machine model 731547635
Is not picking up the thread ‘ at first the threading on fabric was too loose
My machine is new
What can I do ? Thank you

Julie

I have a Janome 2039, worked fine for years. Now when I press the foot pedal nothing happens until the pedal is nearly fully depressed and so it starts very fast….no speed control! Any ideas? Is it the pedal, easily and cheaply replaced…or is the machine itself! Any thoughts?
Thanks
Julie

Lorna

Sounds like what happened to mine. It was the pedal. My service guy sold me a used one cheaper than fixing the original.

Chris

My problem is that the machine seems to work perfectly – except – I need to pull the material through all the time as I sew. Is it something to do with the foot being set wrongly?

Judy Fielding

I have aJanome 9000 machine. The screen says “Safety Warning….is something stuck in the machine? Is cloth too thick? Is needle bent? Check the above and restart.” Have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas, please?

Kathy

My Janome lightweight is now dragging fabric at seams with several layers. I put in a new needle. Never had this problem before.

Sucre

I have a Jamone Memory Crat 4800. The upper tension is not working, The AUTO- Tension dial do not
move to the AUTO position, it stop at #9 positionn in one war, and the position #2 in the other way.
No green ligh indicating the AUTO setting, no tension at any setting number. Ineed help. I ned to solve this problem. Thank to all of you.

Sucre

move to the AUTO position, it stop at #9 positionn in one way, and the position #2 in the other way.

Andrea Jack

I have a Piaf and can only get it to make a zig zag stitch when the needle is the far right position. When the needle is in the centre pOsition the needle makes a zig zag motion but the result is a straight stitch…

Kirbaz

I have janome machine and yesterday i put oil on its instrumentz…nw today when i opend it,itz voice chnged…i shocked what happened…i took it to the service station snd he sail may be its pulley slipped…i took my machine back at home…now plz suggest whst should i do??do u know what happened to my machine sfter oiling…i dont know before that this machine no need oil…😭😕😑

Kathryn

Hi! I have a new Janome 4400 machine, and I’m trying to do some basic stitching on it. Everything is at the factory setting, normal sized thread, correctly set up… However, without fail, the needle thread tension appears to be too loose – even on the tightest setting! Is there any way that we can fix this? It’s driving me and my mother insane!

Carmen

Hi, if you haven’t already for zed the problem, try fussing the thread between the tension ring as soon metimes the thread has not properly engaged itself.

bwm

janome hd3000 wont go into reverse

Betty Harris

I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale name is Dress Maker7000 i cant get needle io move up or down its like something is locked up would any info if possible

Victoria

Hello, I purchased a Janome New Home model 552 at a thrift store and followed the manual on everything. I oiled it. It worked okay. On day 2 it seemed sluggish so I added a little bit more oil to the moving parts. The third time I tried to use the machine the motor blew up. A plastic thing broke off and there is now a spring hanging out of the motor. I am going to buy a new motor but I am just wanting to know maybe what I did to cause that…

Marcia DeMasson

My Janome 11000 keeps telling me to raise my presser foot even when it is raised…when I raise it more – message goes away till i let the foot down again then it repeats warning – will not let me sew…arg any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Baxter Abel

I had no idea that people could do their own sewing machine repairs. My mother in law loves to sew on her sewing machine, I’ll have to pass t his article along to her! I’ve heard that more expensive sewing machines are more expensive to do repairs on than others.

izdihar

I newly purchase singer 3221 machine whenever I start on the machine it’s start sewing without foot controll, do you have any idea to solve this issue.
Thanks a lot

Dawn

I have a Janome L392 and cannot get it to do the stitches that are in green on the Pattern Selector Dial. Each letter has two stitches (a yellow one on the left and green one on the right) and I cannot get the machine to do the stitches in green (the set on the right).
It appears from the manual that setting the Stitch Length Dial to SS will make it do those stitches, but it is not doing so.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Helen Robinson

I have a Janome RX18S. The fabric isn’t feeding correctly because the feed dogs are moving forward and back but not up and down. The dogs are in the up position but the lever to move into down position will pull down but will not move the right. I believe something is seized. I think I can see the part that is seized by looking at it from the underside but I don’t seem to be able to free it. I can reach it with a screwdriver and have tried to tease it but I don’t want to use brute force. Any advice would be appreciated. If I take to a professional is it likely to be an expensive repair? Thank you.

Sharon Kirby

I have a Janome Horizon 12000 and have recently taken up quilting. To use it’s piecing foot to sew a scant 1/4″ seam I have to move the needle position to the far right setting number 9. When I do this however, it skips stitches. Does not do this otherwise. I changed needles, rethreaded, etc. but still the same in this needle position only. Any ideas?

c thomas

Probably due to too much clearance between needle and hook with needle to far right. Can be corrected by adjustment.

Jp

Hi all.
I own a singer Merritt 9618 machine. It normally works properly until I recently try to use it again (after 6 months no use). It doesn’t start or move. . Light doesn’t turn on either. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Linda Aubry

Janome machine, I broke a needle while sewing through multiple layers, hard break. Now the bobbin case is making a scraping noise against the hook/holder, I put in a new bobbin case, still have the problem…am afraid to sew and ruin something on the machine. Is there a quick fix to my problem?

Tina

I have an Elna Excellence, which is a Janome sibling. I’ve used it for a few years with no problems. Tonight, it won’t sew: I keep getting the error image that says to put the presser foot down, but the presser foot is already down. I’ve tried this with regular stitching and with the walking foot, feed dogs up, feed dogs down, turned the machine on and off, nothing fixes it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Rosalie

Can I remove the bottom of my janome to find the screw that I dropped into the feed dog area?