Join or Sign In
What materials did you use?
Quilting cotton, batting and old blue jeans
What are you most proud of?
Stabilizer is right now for this bag and "It works"
So what stabilizer did you settle upon as "right?" Good looking project.
Heavy cotton fusable I bought at Toto tissus in Strasbourg. They remove the name from it when it is put on the roll so I have no idea who makes it. Also living in europe, my info may not help you in the US.
This bag is great! Thanks so much for sharing. I would love to make one like it. More information on the construction process would be greatly appreciated.
Great project. so share the instructions with us.
Easy to do. You need coordinating quilting cottons. Cut them into 4 inch squares. Cut same amount of batting (cotton and thin) at 3 1/2 inches and a backing (I used muslin) at 4 inches. You will cut 47 of everything. Quilt the blocks together, top, batting centered and backing with and X and then arrange them in rows of 2,4,6,7,7,6,5,3. Sew rows together with a half inch seam allowance backing sides together. When it is sewn together you trim it up so it has straignt sides and if desired the angle front like I have. I cut along one of the stitched X lines Sew all the way around the top 1/2 inch from edge. I found it easest to open the 1/2 seam allowances as I sewed around. Now you decide the depth of the bag I choose 3 1/2 inches and folding it keeping in mind the depth I cut my sides cut sides 11 inches long.(11 by 3 1/2) I used an old pair of jeans so I doubled that and put a stabiizer in between. the handle on top is 8 1/2 by 1 1/4 inches long and wide finished and was centered on the top. The shoulder strap is 1 1/2" wide by 38 inches long. the strap latches to the side 2 1/2 inches down.I added a layer of heavy fusable interfaceing to the muslin side of the bag 1/4 inch smaller all the way around and I added a lining with a zipper pocket. Before I sewed the sides on I KK2000'ed it to the fused interfacing and sewed most of the way around leaving the top front open for insetion of the magnetic closure and the plastic bottom. I then sewed the sides on. I used corrigated plastic for the bottom, tacking it in place so it stays at the bottom and the button does nothing it is just there for looks. The way it closes is a magnetic snap and I entered it to the wrong side on the lining 1 1/2 inches from the edgeI am going to try this again but with a smaller block to make something I think would be really cute. If my directions are clear as mud, when I make the smaller on I will try to take pictures and write it up on my blog. http://frenchoddities.blogspot.fr/
Love it !!!
Take Craftsy with you!
Craftsy Apps for iOS and Android. Read more »