Pant Fitting Techniques »
Type of item: Clothing
Scraps of polyester from my stash
What was your inspiration?
Strictly speaking this isn't Muslin 2. As I only needed a couple of small alterations, I pulled Muslin 1 apart and resewed it. Probably not ideal but has given me a pretty good idea of how this is all coming together.
Alterations I have made since Muslin 1:
1. Full front thighs: Let out the front crotch seams 1/2". The fabric no longer clings to my thighs! Yay! This also stopped the fabric from being pulled into the crotch area at the back.
2. Sway back adjustment: Lowered the back centre waistband 1/2" tapering to 0" at the side seams. Also scooped out the crotch 1/4". The side seams are now straighter than before but, after seeing Deby's adjustments to her muslin, I think I might take some more from the back to see if I can improve this.
3. Zipper inserted. The waist is still a bit loose, might take another 1/4" off the princess seams & waistband at the top back to bring the waist in a smidge more.
Overall, I am so happy! To be able to wear pants that fit at the waist and not "choke" my thighs is fantastic! I know there are a few small alterations I still need to make to improve on these but, they are way better than anything I could buy! It will be so nice not to always have to wear a belt to bring a gaping waistband in!
I plan to:
1. Try taking a bit more off the centre back at the waist to improve the side seams. This may help take some of the excess fabric out from under the butt too.
2. Front thighs: True up the front thigh seam using the method given by Kenneth D. King in his Jeanius course (it bugs me that it swerves out).
3. Taking slightly wider seams for the back princess seam to try and improve the fit at the waist.
4. Adding 1" to the length, as now that the waist is sitting at the correct place they are a bit shorted than I previously thought.
I am tempted to make a wearable muslin this time, as I feel I am pretty close now to having something that fits well.
Any other ideas on what needs to be done would be gratefully accepted! Thanks!