Small magnify icon
i
Photo Details:

Quilt Top

Offer some kudos...

Join the conversation...

Ask a question...

Add your comment...

Here are some details about my project:
Category Quilting
Type Functional
Style Traditional
jmn111 on craftsy.com

What materials did you use? Leftover strips from three sets of Bali Pops: Mulberry, Strawberry Fields, and Watermelon.

jmn111 on craftsy.com

What are you most proud of? While not perfect, the points are the closest I've come to getting them exact - maybe on the next quilt.

jmn111 on craftsy.com

What advice would you give someone starting this project? I didn't assemble the small blocks into larger blocks, instead, I assembled them along the diagonal when I pieced the quilt top. However, I did quilt in the hoop on the horizontal/vertical which allowed me to quilt the edge triangles as part of the overall quilting rather than do something separately with them. There are a lot of places where precision is required - in first piecing the strips together, then cutting them into 8 1/2" squares, again when you sew the squares together and cut them again, and finally when you assemble the resulting 5 1/2" squares! So perfect points is not going to happen throughout the quilt - you will have to do some fudging.

jmn111 on craftsy.com

Great fabric combinations!

03/12/2013 Flag

Beautiful! I love the colours - even though they were leftovers, they blend so well. Your quilting is lovely and you've made the back of the quilt really interesting too.

03/13/2013 Flag

I love the blocks. Where did you find a pattern for this? I look at the Missouri Quilt Co. tutorials online but the 2 Magic Square quilt blocks that they showed were different than what you created. I love yours.

03/21/2013 Flag

I got my idea from watching the same videos you did from Missouri Quilt Co, I had ~ 40 strips leftover from three sets of Bali Pops and the colours seemed to work with one another so I sewed them together in groups of four, cut the panels into blocks, placed blocks right sides together with the strips at 90* to one another, then cut the stitched blocks along the diagonals. Then, rather than creating blocks from four of these smaller blocks, I assembled them in rows along the diagonal of the quilt which gives the "points" on the outside edge. Filled in with triangles from my backing fabric. I'm currently piecing a second quilt using this same technique, but this time I'm creating blocks from four of the small blocs and assembling those in a 4 X 6 array - also I'm using a set of coordinated fabrics all within a single colour tone. Pictures soon!

03/22/2013 Flag