Craftsy Block of the Month 2012 »
1. I made the bag taller
2. Made the handles smaller
Both made with scraps
zipper pouch changes:
I pieced the back together with scraps to make it fit.
Type of item: Functional
Style: Classic, Eco-Friendly, Funky
- I used - #15 Ohio Star August BOM For the block: - I used Cotton grape and leaves print - I used grey green denum For the lining inside of the bag and the zipper pouch: - I used hand dyed burgundy material and the wooden button that was dyed at the same time. - I also used every scrap left from doing the blocks to put together the pouche For the quilting: - I used thin batting and a mesh on the back to quilt - I drew the leaves on each corner of the blocks free hand and free motion quilted them. - I used burgundy thread on the green grey material for the free motion quilting - I used the pattern from Kristin's course "Bag Basics" this helped with the size.
What was your inspiration?
Amy Gibson's "Block of the month course 2012"
Kristin Link's "Bag Basic's" course great bag pattern
What are you most proud of?
- In February 2011, I experimented with fabric dying. I used some unbleached cotton and dyed this piece of burgundy color material with natural berry dye.
- After setting the dye, I dried and folded it away for another day.
- At that time I had all these plain wooden buttons and I dyed them along with the material and yarn, I was dying at the same time.
I got to use the material and one button on this bag.
folding the bag:
1.Turn inside out
2. With the button and tab down ,
3. fold in thirds
4. Role from the bottom
5. Tuck the handles in
6. when the button shows up pull the tab over it
ah ha ! neatly stored in your purse until you need it.
What advice would you give someone starting this project?
I also put the button lower on the side because of the bulkyness of the quilted block on the side.
I also installed the button on the inside of the bag and the loop on the inside.
When folding it I turned the inside out.
Search your stash, you might just be surprised what you find.