Wrap dress

from So Sew Easy

Add your comment:

Alishya Michelle on craftsy.com
Alishya Michelle  July 24, 2014 0:17 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for a wonderful tutorial and pattern. :)

Deby Coles  July 24, 2014 6:22 PM

That's so nice of you. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that.

kadair2809479 on craftsy.com
kadair2809479  June 23, 2014 5:51 PM

I can't figure out how to get to the printed pattern. All I can find are the instructions on how to make it. Can you please point me to the correct spot? Thanks.

Deby Coles  June 24, 2014 9:00 AM

If you have the updated instructions (June 2014), then the pattern pieces are at the end, Keep on scrolling through to the end of the instructions and there they are. If you are using the older version, then the pattern pieces are in a separate folder. If you have trouble, send me an email to deby@so-sew-easy.com

Moonraker on craftsy.com
Moonraker  June 17, 2014 10:04 AM

thank you for your help Deby - I printed the pattern on the "fast" setting and the numbers didn't come out, so I have gone through and numbered the pages. Are you aware there is no number 14? Now to do the jigsaw and to find some material I like as much as I like yours! Thanks again

Deby Coles  June 17, 2014 4:18 PM

Yes, the page that would be number 14 is just blank as it falls outside of the design, so I thought it best to save a sheet rather than just print a sheet that was not needed. The updated digital design is now on the website here so you can see what the jigsaw looks like - http://so-sew-easy.com/wrap-dress-pattern/

abpatrick1964 on craftsy.com
abpatrick1964  June 16, 2014 6:38 PM

I love the patterns but I want it long dress sme pattern but longer how add it??? Let me know I hope put them together like puzzle

Deby Coles  June 16, 2014 9:09 PM

The skirt on this dress pattern is straight, so to make it longer, you simply add the length straight onto the bottom of the skirt piece when you cut it out. I'm 5ft6 if that helps you judge the skirt length, or compare it to one you already own so you know how much to add to the bottom length.

Moonraker on craftsy.com
Moonraker  June 16, 2014 0:53 PM

I love the pattern and it downloaded and printed first time, but I can't understand how to put the paper pattern pieces together, they make no sense to me. I have never used a downloaded pattern before but am an experienced dressmaker. Have you any suggestions which pieces go where?

Deby Coles  June 16, 2014 1:13 PM

Each piece has a number 1 though 28 sheets. They go together in sequence. 1 to 7 across the top row, then 8 to 14 and so on. Where there are the little grey pie shaped pieces in the corners, these all fit together at the corners to make a circle when lined up correctly. Use these pie shapes to cut off the overlapping edges. I usually cut off the top and the left hand side of each sheet, then layer them all on top of each other matching those cut edges with the pie on the sheet underneath.
I'll go back to the blog post when I get a chance and update it with the new details of the digital pattern and include a picture of the pattern layout so you can see what it should look like.
If you are stuck, do look out for my email address in the instructions and drop me a line. Always happy to help.

deb_hump12992835 on craftsy.com
deb_hump12992835  June 16, 2014 1:57 PM

Just wanted to know, "How to printout the wrap dress pattern? I too am a experience dressmaker. Looking forward to your updated blog with specific instructions. Thank you very much!

Deby Coles  June 16, 2014 9:11 PM

The instructions for how to print the pattern pieces are within the dress instructions. You open the instructions and pattern as one document and the select the pages you want to print. The pattern pieces are at the end of the document after the instructions.

SheilaKay1 on craftsy.com
SheilaKay1  June 16, 2014 9:17 AM

I could not down load the pattern, I got all the pictures but the dress pattern I could never get. I like the dress, would like to see 3/4 sleeves.

Deby Coles  June 16, 2014 10:23 AM

Sheila, since the update, the PDF document is now all in one. You download the one PDF, open it and the instructions come first with the pattern pieces at the end. Send me an email if you need more help.

downhomedesigns on craftsy.com
downhomedesigns  June 16, 2014 9:01 AM

Thank you for the free pattern. It's a very flattering style. I downloaded it a while back and have not used it yet. I wanted it to make a dress for my youngest daughter, but just haven't got around to it. Today I downloaded the update and decided to open the files. Like others here I could not open it even though I have Adobe Reader. I got this msg: "selected document cannot be opened" I have other patterns from craftsy that open with no problem. I then checked to see if I could open the original zip file and got this msg: "a suitable graphics importer could not be found" What importer should I have for this?

Deby Coles  June 16, 2014 10:31 AM

I'm not sure why the file doesn't open for you. I just downloaded and checked it and it opened fine for me. Do you need to update your version of Adobe perhaps? This was created in the latest version. I'll be happy to help you out and get it all to work - please drop me an email to deby@so-sew-easy.com

downhomedesigns on craftsy.com
downhomedesigns  June 16, 2014 11:50 AM

My Adobe should be current, but I'll dbl check. Thanks!

workshop mice on craftsy.com
workshop mice  May 18, 2014 9:07 AM

Hi Deby,

Wish me luck. I will be putting the pattern together tomorrow and go looking for fabric. Thanks for your generosity. I will post when done. xx

fionathornton on craftsy.com
fionathornton  March 25, 2014 2:01 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your patterns , your instructions are so detailed and helpful too. I've made two dresses in two days and I've hardly sworn at all!! :P

Deby Coles  March 30, 2014 3:35 PM

Ha ha, Fiona, your comment makes me laugh! Thank goodness for no swearing. I find swearing increases in direct relationship to seam ripping. Glad everything worked out. Will you load up the completed dresses and link them to the pattern so we can all see?

whisperfate on craftsy.com
whisperfate  March 24, 2014 3:28 PM

I found your pattern when I was looking up information on a wrap dress from Kwik Sew I ordered. (3489) I absolutely love the fabric you found for your dress it looks amazing on you. I've not sewn any clothing yet, but I would love to try your dress.
The other pattern calls for a knit with 35% stretch. It looks like most knits have a 50% stretch. (This is based off of 1 fabric site. The only one that reports how stretchy a fabric is.) In a comment below you said the fabric must have some stretch. Will a knit with 50% stretch be ok to use on your dress? If I use a high stretch material should I do anything special when i'm making it?

Deby Coles  March 30, 2014 3:37 PM

Yes, that should be absolutely fine. Any light to medium weight knit fabric with stretch which is designed for dress making should be fine for this pattern as it is not very fitted. If the fabric is very light and stretchy, you may find it comes out a little bigger than expected, so do carefully pick your size and measure the pattern pieces to double check you'll be happy with the fit. Hope it goes well.

eveandrew1620872 on craftsy.com
eveandrew1620872  March 23, 2014 11:05 PM

Having trouble reading actual pattern instructions and can't seem to get then enlarged - can you help please --thanks

Deby Coles  March 24, 2014 6:38 AM

The instructions are in a PDF document so you should open it with Adobe Reader. Then within reader there is an option for how you want to display the page on your screen and a slider you can use to drag left and right to zoom in and out. If you still have trouble, please send details to my email - find me at http://so-sew-easy.com

Debra Lannes on craftsy.com
Debra Lannes  March 22, 2014 5:57 PM

What type of fabric would you suggest for this dress? Something with some stretch?

Deby Coles  March 23, 2014 5:17 PM

Yes, it will certainly need to have stretch because there isn't any zipper or other opening. The blue and white dress you see here is made with an ITY knit, so a light to medium weight knit fabric with a moderate stretch would give the best result.

justoldeb on craftsy.com
justoldeb  January 27, 2014 5:16 AM

thank you so much for the pattern! Mine downloaded fine on windows 8.

Wrap dress Pattern