Travel Duffel Pattern

from StudioCherie

Add your comment:

Cherie Killilea  August 4, 2014 7:11 PM

I just updated the pattern. It has a new cover and a new materials list page. The instructions for the pleated pocket are now a lot better. If you have already made the bag, no worries. If you have not made it yet, the new pattern will make it a little easier for you. The bag itself has not changed, just the instructions a little bit.

Cherie Killilea  August 4, 2014 5:11 PM

Bonnie asked a couple of questions and I can't seem to link up to it to reply, so I hope she sees my answer here - Yes, the jute webbing is the same as what I use for upholstery. Here in the US it is common to find it 3.5" wide which is what I use. In Australia, you may need to butt 2 lengths of 50mm webbing together to make it wide enough. The smaller duffle has the trolley sleeve and you can see it in the sample bags. Instead of a pocket between the handles of the bag, there is a sleeve for slipping the bag over the trolley handle of your rolling luggage.

Cherie Killilea  July 18, 2014 4:38 PM

Rachel asked about making the duffle out of oilcloth/pvc. I would go ahead and try it if I were you. Don't quilt it though. Quilting stitches would punch holes in your fabric defeating the water resistance. I would still want the padding of the high loft batting though. I am sure it will be challenging. Be sure to show it off here, if it turns out!

racheldubois on craftsy.com
racheldubois  July 17, 2014 4:30 PM

I'd really like to make this in oilcloth/PVC so I can take it camping. Do you think that could work? What would I need to change if so?

Cherie Killilea  July 18, 2014 4:40 PM

As I said below, do not quilt it. You will have to secure the layers of lining, batting and oil cloth around the edges only. Then the straps will help hold it all together. I hope that helps!

mariencd83620308 on craftsy.com
mariencd83620308  April 16, 2014 10:02 AM

Hola
Me gustaria comprar un molde de este bolso maleta,solo q hablo espanol y portugues.Tienen instrucciones en estos idiomas.

Cherie Killilea  April 17, 2014 8:01 AM

Gracias por preguntar. Yo slo tengo en Ingls en estos momentos. Cuando necesito traducir, yo uso el traductor de Google: http://translate.google.com/
El uso de esa herramienta en lnea, usted puede copiar y pegar las piezas que necesita traducir. Espero que ayude!

letssewli2910746 on craftsy.com
letssewli2910746  March 2, 2014 4:07 PM

i bought the pattern and as i am reading already confused. you state Materials:
1.5 yards of feature fabric. 1.5 yards of lining fabric. 1.5 yards of batting.
(OR you can use 1.5 yards of prequilted fabric instead.)
3/4 yard contrast fabric for handles and pocket lining.
2 Zippers. One 22-24" and one 14"
You really need a walking foot for your sewing machine.
Zipper foot for your sewing machine
3.5 yards of Jute webbing.
but the actual pattern says differently. the handels you need 1 yard. I purchase 3/4 as stated on begining sheet. Also, I am using prequilted material and not dimensions for using that. Very Misleading.

Cherie Killilea  March 7, 2014 9:02 AM

3/4 will be enough for the contrast on the handles. You could even do it with 1/2 a yard. I use a yard so I don't have as many seams joining it together. You will have fabric left over. Sounds like you did fine on your shopping, no worries. You can email me with questions if you have them.

kmarihart3231410 on craftsy.com
kmarihart3231410  February 25, 2014 7:15 PM

61498

debnstitches on craftsy.com
debnstitches  January 24, 2014 9:01 PM

such a nice looking bag!!!!

akpharvey@yahoo.com on craftsy.com
akpharvey@yahoo.com  January 19, 2014 9:54 AM

Hi, Can someone please tell me how many pockets/organizing this has? I may have missed it. I'd like to know if there are pockets inside and outside also. Thanks!

Cherie Killilea  January 19, 2014 6:29 PM

Hi Karen, I did answer you via email, but I want to address your question here as well for others.
The duffle does have 2 exterior pockets, and you could double that to 4 if you wanted. There is one on one end, but you could do one on each end. There is also one between the handles, which you could also do on both sides.
The inside pockets would not be very useful in that bag and would make it more complicated, so there are none on the inside.
If you want a great travel bag with lots of pockets inside and out, I recommend this pattern:
I hope that helps!

justjones2699466 on craftsy.com
justjones2699466  December 31, 2013 0:54 AM

where do I get the pattern from

Anniem404 on craftsy.com
Anniem404  December 24, 2013 9:56 AM

I love your travel duffel bag!! Nice job on the instructions.
I will be making a few more.
Will also like same pattern in a smaller version so will be downsizing this pattern. Thank you!!

KrisisOD on craftsy.com
KrisisOD  December 13, 2013 10:15 AM

I know this will vary widely by user, but I'm attempting to make two of these bags in the next week and I was curious how much time I need to try to set aside to get them finished. I'm a beginner sewer, but I am not unfamiliar with any of the steps in the pattern, from first glance. Thanks a lot!

Cherie Killilea  December 17, 2013 11:59 AM

Sorry I don't get these messages right away, only about once a week. It is always better to email me if you want a quick response. I hope you are making progress on your bags!

tara.m.ly787914 on craftsy.com
tara.m.ly787914  November 15, 2013 10:53 AM

Hoping to tackle this project, but not a quilter! I'm assuming that with double sided pre-quilted fabric, then I can skip the batting and lining fabric steps? Curious, though, how double-sided quilted fabric will be as far as "sturdiness"? This will be an adventure!!!

Cherie Killilea  November 22, 2013 9:52 AM

You are correct. You will still need some lining fabric for the zippered pocket, but not 1.5 yards. Yours will not stand up by itself like mine do, but you will love it. The first one I ever made has warm and natural in it, so it is like yours will be. I use it and love it. When not in use, it folds up, so that is good too. Enjoy!

jennyjos-37 on craftsy.com
jennyjos-37  November 9, 2013 1:48 PM

Is it necessary to cut the fabric for the handle on the crossgrain bias as the instructions show? Can it be cut on the straight of grain? I'm not seeing the curves necessary for crossgrain and I have some fabric that I want to use, but not enough for crossgrain. Does it look better om the crossgrain? Thank you!

jennyjos-37 on craftsy.com
jennyjos-37  November 9, 2013 3:13 PM

I read the replies and see that it does matter.

Cherie Killilea  November 10, 2013 7:48 PM

Good, I am glad you found the answer.

Julia H on craftsy.com
Julia H  November 5, 2013 5:10 PM

I am getting started making this bag. I am already stumped on # 3 what are you saying about a zipper? I am not sure I want a zipper in the side pocket. Do I put a pocket on each side?

Julia H on craftsy.com
Julia H  November 5, 2013 5:12 PM

Also do you quilt the pocket fabric?

Cherie Killilea  November 5, 2013 8:11 PM

Julia,
Thanks for asking. I only do one outside pocket, but you could certainly do 2 of them. You could make them with a zipper as in the pattern or without. Maybe one of each? The pocket fabric is not quilted. Unless you were working with pre-quilted fabric, then quilted pockets would be fine. Here is my flickr photostream
you can type in the search bar "duffle" and be sure to choose "in StudioCherie's photostream" then you can see a lot of the duffles I have made and better side views to see the pocket.
I hope that helps! Email me if you have more specific sewing questions.
cherieatstudiocheriedotcom

earlyneb on craftsy.com
earlyneb  September 25, 2013 10:35 AM

add a strap along the back from strap to strap so that it will go over the handle on your follies so it can sit on top nicely

earlyneb on craftsy.com
earlyneb  September 25, 2013 10:36 AM

that follies as in suitcase

earlyneb on craftsy.com
earlyneb  September 25, 2013 10:36 AM

rollie

Cherie Killilea  September 27, 2013 8:04 AM

yes, that is something like what we do in the Trolley Duffle pattern only really reinforced. It would work for this one too, but this is a really big bag - 20" long and your suitcase is probably not that big.
The Departure Satchel is the perfect one for perching atop the rolling case neatly and carrying on for stowing under the seat.
If you need the size though and you want to carry it through the airport on top of your rolling bag, adding a strap for that is a great solution! I am always happy to see people take my patterns and add their own touches to make it perfect for them.

painterjk1556157 on craftsy.com
painterjk1556157  September 12, 2013 10:29 AM

I am using non-directional fabric for the outer cover. Do I cut this fabric 23 x 27 or 23 x 54? Thank you, Kathy

Cherie Killilea  September 12, 2013 0:28 PM

23x54

Marilyn4405633 on craftsy.com
Marilyn4405633  August 30, 2013 2:52 PM

I can not figure out how to make this

Marilyn4405633 on craftsy.com
Marilyn4405633  August 31, 2013 1:48 PM

is there a smaller bag that might be easier to start with?

Cherie Killilea  August 31, 2013 5:59 PM

Marilyn, if you email me I can help you.

vancilpat1696508 on craftsy.com
vancilpat1696508  August 9, 2013 8:57 AM

I am making the clutch that goes with the duffel bag. Can you tell me what type of magnetic closures work best and where to find them?

Cherie Killilea  August 9, 2013 3:12 PM

Supplies are really changing right now. I have always made the clutches (I am assuming you have the Simplicity pattern.) by installing my own magnets - not ready made magnetic snaps. Simplicity wrote it up with regular magnetic snaps and those you can find at joAnn's. I have a few notes and source links for that pattern in PDF format. Email me and I will send you that. Cherie [at] StudioCherie [dot com]

vancilpat1696508 on craftsy.com
vancilpat1696508  August 16, 2013 7:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. Please send me the notes and source links in PDF.

Pat

nicoll2441755322 on craftsy.com
nicoll2441755322  July 20, 2013 2:31 PM

Could this pattern be cut down to purse size?
Susie

Cherie Killilea  July 22, 2013 3:13 PM

Purse-wise, I think I might like it as an open top tote. I don't think I would design it the same shape for a purse at all. It needs more than just scaling down to translate into a useful everyday bag.

vancilpat1696508 on craftsy.com
vancilpat1696508  July 7, 2013 4:47 PM

I am making this bag and am on the last step of sewing on the ends. I'm having trouble at the corners. Do I clip the corners before I sew? I'm not sure hoe to get the corners sewn. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Cherie Killilea  July 7, 2013 10:02 PM

You can clip the corner. That would make it a little easier to turn the corner. Since I finish it on the serger, I have never done it for this particular bag. I would say clipping the corner would be good, then follow up with zigzag stitches on the new raw edges you created. I hope that helps!

Shoestring on craftsy.com
Shoestring  June 23, 2013 3:22 AM

What amazing beautiful travel bags. I'm going to sew one of these!

mckin on craftsy.com
mckin  June 18, 2013 8:06 PM

Have you ever used a foam stabilizer instead of the batting?

Cherie Killilea  June 19, 2013 11:47 AM

Thanks for asking. I have not used foam. I can't even speculate how that would turn out. Sorry I could not help more.

Fairly Merry on craftsy.com
Fairly Merry  June 6, 2013 9:34 PM

I saw one of these in person and am interested in the pattern, I am wondering if I use duck or canvas instead of the batting if that would work? Have you considered that? It might be too stiff,

Cherie Killilea  June 7, 2013 8:54 AM

Thanks for asking. I think duck would be great instead of batting. It would make a foldable bag andstead of a padded bag.

Cherie Killilea  June 7, 2013 9:16 AM

"instead" You know your typing is bad when you type an "a" for an"i" or maybe I say"and" alot?

ktquilts4fun on craftsy.com
ktquilts4fun  June 4, 2013 7:50 AM

How does the upholstery batting you use wash?

Cherie Killilea  June 6, 2013 6:34 PM

The batting washes great. But the jute doesn't go in the washing machine unless you pre-wash it. I take mine to the dry cleaners.

craftyballerina on craftsy.com
craftyballerina  May 2, 2013 6:43 PM

I am wanting to make this as diaper bag. Are there any features to it - like outside pockets, inside pockets, inside zipper pocket? Thanks!

Cherie Killilea  May 3, 2013 10:37 AM

This bag is WAY too big for a diaper bag. It is really made to be a great capacity road trip bag. It wouldn't fit in your stroller. And you wouldn't want to carry it around all day. When I first started sewing as a business, I was doing diaper bags, and what I came to believe was the best solution with the most usefulness is this:
You can pop that into any tote bag or backpack and turn it into an instant diaper bag.
I am working on a great messenger bag right now, if you like that style, and I hope to have my back pack pattern out this Summer too.
I hope that helps! Cherie

craftyballerina on craftsy.com
craftyballerina  May 3, 2013 8:44 PM

Yes, I will ponder it. We are doing cloth and breastfeeding, so the zippered change pad won't work 100%. We usually don't leave our rural town, but when we do, it's for a day or more. I really like the Petunia Pickle Bottom bags, but not the price ;) Thanks for the fast response!

Cherie Killilea  November 10, 2013 7:46 PM

This would work great for you as a diaper bag. Lots of pockets to keep you organized and lots of room:

lelliebunny on craftsy.com
lelliebunny  April 24, 2013 9:10 PM

I'm stumped on step 10. It says to stitch along the edges of the folds. Am I supposed to completely unfold it or leave 2 of the thirds together and sew one line or does that mean that each piece will have 6 lines of stitching or is it just 3 (do a stitch in the ditch right along the center of the fold)? It looks like just 3 lines in the pictures, but it looks like 6 on the pattern templates. Ugh!!

Cherie Killilea  April 24, 2013 11:28 PM

If you fold the pattern pieces, like you will fold the fabric, then I think the pleated pocket will become clear to you. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks so much for emailing me so I could get back to you faster!

gemgypsy13 on craftsy.com
gemgypsy13  April 11, 2013 11:14 PM

please tell me what a walking presser foot is

Cherie Killilea  April 14, 2013 3:26 PM

Thanks for asking. The walking foot has feed dogs on the foot, so your fabric is being fed through the machine from above (with the walking foot feed dogs) and from below (the regular machine feed dogs) at the same time. This keeps the layers of fabric from shifting or stretching as you sew through multiple layers of fabric. I use it for most of the bags I make. If you want to make bags or do any machine quilting, you will want a walking foot for your machine. Here is a link that shows one for sale and lists what machines it works on. You can at least see what it looks like: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/walking-foot-elna-star-13-sewing-machine.aspx. Hancock fabrics stores carry a line of generic machine feet. If you have a Hancocks near you, you might check there. I hope that helps!

Hannlib on craftsy.com
Hannlib  April 11, 2013 6:42 AM

I am wondering what batting to use for this bag. I have cotton quilters dream as that is what I prefer to use for my quilts, but I am wondering if something else would be more appropriate for this bag? I am worried the quilter's dream will be too soft and drapey. Thanks!

Cherie Killilea  April 11, 2013 11:26 AM

Thanks for asking. The only reason I use a stiffer batting is that I like to photograph the duffle empty and I like them sto stand up on their own. It makes it somewhat easier to pack the bag too if it stands up while empty. The only drawback to the stiffer batting is storing the bag when you are not using it. With thin batting, you can just fold it up and keep it in a drawer. Thin batting is also easier to sew. More details on the exact batting I use and other fabric choices are found in this blog post:
I hope that helps!

Jhay-Cee on craftsy.com
Jhay-Cee  August 16, 2013 7:44 AM

I made this bag with the batting that you suggested except on the ends I used regular cotton batting. My bag folds beautifully. To photograph my bag I cut cardboard the dimensions of the corners and inserted them so they stood for the pic!

Cherie Killilea  August 22, 2013 1:49 PM

Great ideas! Way to go!

ddhansen2881329 on craftsy.com
ddhansen2881329  April 7, 2013 11:26 PM

I recently purchased this pattern: travel duffel, however the pattern I have only shows the jute web handles with fabric laid on top. Can I get the the handle pattern you show on on the current picture. I like these much better.

Cherie Killilea  April 11, 2013 11:32 AM

Thanks for asking! The only strap material I have ever used on the duffles is the jute, covered partially in fabric. If you look closely at any of my photos, that is what you will see. Here is a blog post that shows what another gal did with my pattern using 2" twill tape in place of the jute.
You will need 8 or 9 yards of it if you want to preshrink it. After shrinking, stitch the 2" tapes together with a zigzag, side by side, so you have a 4" base of strap. Then that gets covered with the fabric trim like the jute would. It is a little wider than the jute, not as stiff as the jute, but it is machine washable and plenty strong enough to hold up to use.
I hope that helps!
Cherie

Lisa C. on craftsy.com
Lisa C.  March 5, 2013 4:02 PM

Somehow I must have goofed! Today when I tried to do the last step and sew the ends on, I found that they are too big... like several inches too big! The only thing I can figure is that I must have goofed in putting in the main zipper. Can you tell me what the length of the body of the bag should be before the ends are put on? I hate to take out that zipper and the hand sewing but I like that idea better than trying to cut down the ends. Thanks!

Lisa C. on craftsy.com
Lisa C.  March 5, 2013 5:08 PM

Actually, I just measured and I have 48" around and that should be right since the flaps that are hand sewn under are 2" each. The ends are 52" around. Am I supposed to be absorbing an inch on each side as I sew on the ends?

Cherie Killilea  March 7, 2013 2:18 PM

Lisa,
If you measure the seam allowance of your end pieces, you will see that they add up to 48"
Your dots should all line up as shown on page 6.
I have done that too, when following a pattern - panicked that something was wrong, when all I had to do was pin it together to see all was well.
I hope that helps! Sorry I did not see your message right away.
You guys can always contact me directly too via email. cherie@studiocherie.com
Happy sewing! Cherie

Lisa C. on craftsy.com
Lisa C.  March 7, 2013 3:39 PM

I matched the dots and did have to do some easing to get it to fit but not much and it worked out great! I am happy with this bag and will be using it when I take a trip to Boston this spring! I uploaded a picture and put in the notes to use a jeans sewing needle to attach the ends. I tried doing it with a brand new size 14 needle and still I had stitches skipping. No trouble with the jeans needle. Thanks for helping out!

Cherie Killilea  March 8, 2013 11:28 AM

Love your bag. Thanks for posting the photo!

emilyvian1270099 on craftsy.com
emilyvian1270099  February 27, 2013 7:17 AM

LOVE his bag, it's a great size and so fashionable. I am not a great seamstress, and usually have a hard time with patterns, but this was easy to follow. I was able to finish the whole thing in two afternoons. All this women in my family will be getting this bag for birthdays!

Cherie Killilea  February 28, 2013 4:04 PM

Emily, I am so happy for you! Thank you for writing. <3 Cherie

LLfas on craftsy.com
LLfas  February 18, 2013 5:36 PM

What is the reason for the trim on the handle to be cut on the bias instead of straight?

Cherie Killilea  February 20, 2013 1:24 PM

Linda,
Thanks for asking. See how the handles curve at the top? Cutting on the bias allows the fabric to stretch a little as it curves. I also like how it looks when I use stripes. : )
Hope that helps!

spillgran on craftsy.com
spillgran  July 30, 2013 3:47 PM

Bias fabric also wears better than on grain.

Patching Patty on craftsy.com
Patching Patty  February 15, 2013 5:33 PM

I want to purchase this pattern but the jute part has me me stumped. What part of the bag is it used on and why

Cherie Killilea  February 15, 2013 7:51 PM

I use the jute for the handles. It is just the right width and strength for the job and it looks cool to see the edges of the jute next to the fabric. If you look closely at any of my bags, you will see the edges of jute webbing on the handles. Also in some of the shots, you can see the back of the handle where the jute is visible.
I hope that helps!

Cherie Killilea  February 15, 2013 7:53 PM

You can see it best on the rose bag. I made the fabric trim narrower on that one so that some of the red from the jute would show.

bushey.gw1204686 on craftsy.com
bushey.gw1204686  February 15, 2013 1:53 PM

Hi, is there a pattern to the quilting, I wanted to try this myself without buying pre-quilted fabric.

Cherie Killilea  February 15, 2013 2:43 PM

Thanks for asking. Here is the blog post that shows how I quilt them:
I hope you love your bag!

bushey.gw1204686 on craftsy.com
bushey.gw1204686  February 15, 2013 3:00 PM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

LMS30 on craftsy.com
LMS30  November 9, 2012 11:54 AM

I love to sew but I am horrible at selecting the right fabric! Please tell me what type to look for for this pattern.

Cherie Killilea  November 10, 2012 2:15 PM

As I was typing out a long answer to your question, I realized it would be better addressed on my blog with links to help you find what you need. Here it is:
I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more specific comments about what collection might suit your style best.

LMS30 on craftsy.com
LMS30  November 12, 2012 0:07 PM

I tried several times to comment on your blog but it kept giving me error messages. Anyway, this is what I was trying to say:

I cannot thank you enough for answering my question- in detail! I cannot wait to get started!

Again, THANK YOU!!!

Cherie Killilea  November 18, 2012 8:33 AM

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah, sometimes Google is glitchy and I have trouble leaving comments too.

JENEANE on craftsy.com
JENEANE  February 11, 2014 9:24 AM

I received a PDF version of this bag, but there is not instructions for the lining. The construction of the duffle bag went together great. My instructions ends with Step 11, Putting it all together. Did I miss something. I know how to construct the lining, but not sure how it connects to the outer duffle bag.

Cherie Killilea  February 14, 2014 0:19 AM

The lining is in the first step. The back of the quilt becomes the lining. Adding an extra lining is unnecessary. I hope that helps! If you have more questions, you can email me directly. Thanks!

sarah_roo on craftsy.com
sarah_roo  January 7, 2013 0:43 PM

Hi
Do I need to use bias binding to make this bag? I am useless at using bias binding. Thanks!
Sarah

Cherie Killilea  January 10, 2013 1:36 PM

Thanks for asking. It is a finishing option for those who want it, and - No, you do not need bias binding. I don't use it. When I do call for binding as the preferred way to finish something, I try to find the most fool proof way to apply it and explain that in the pattern. You will find that in my travel change pad bag pattern.

sarah_roo on craftsy.com
sarah_roo  January 14, 2013 0:28 PM

Thank you very much!

Lieve on craftsy.com
Lieve  December 28, 2012 3:42 AM

Hi, as I'm from Belgian and speak Dutch, some specific words are strange to me and Google translation isn't helping me very well. Maybe you can help me out here.
directional fabric : is it fabric where it matters how to put the pattern on?
I never quilted before but I wanna try. I suppose the batting should be between the feature fabric and the lining fabric? The description doesn't say.
The large S-shape you use for quilting, are there rules about how far apart they should be
Thanks so much in advance!

Laeinea on craftsy.com
Laeinea  December 28, 2012 3:23 PM

A quote from the Crafty Mummy : "Directional fabrics have a print or design that only looks right one way. It could be that all the characters are facing one way, or it could have a scene that runs along the length or width of the fabric. When working with a fabric like this you need to be careful which way you cut and sew it. For example, you dont want to send up with a pencil case where the fairies are standing on their heads!"

When you quilt your batting should be in between you outer fabric and lining unless the directions state otherwise. As far as space between quilting lines (usually referred to as scale), that is up to you. Smaller width's between your quilting line will create more stiffness and wider width's will be much looser. Gauging by the pictures the scale of the S lines are between 1-3 inches apart (2.5 cm to 8 cm). I hope this translates well and helps you a bit.

Lieve on craftsy.com
Lieve  December 29, 2012 5:37 AM

Thank you so much, Laeinea, for your explanation! All is clear now and this afternoon I'm taking a trip to the store to find me the most beautiful feature fabric (and everything else I need) so I can get started on my first duffel. My first as my daughter already ordered hers...:)

Cherie Killilea  December 29, 2012 2:58 PM

I posted on my blog to show you how I quilt the duffles. There is a link there to my favorites on Flickr that shows duffles with different quilting that all turned out great. I think my plan may be easiest for a beginner though. I hope it helps.

Lieve on craftsy.com
Lieve  January 2, 2013 9:28 AM

Thank you so much for this link, Cherie! This sure will help me a lot! Now I only have to choose the perfect fabric...

Lieve on craftsy.com
Lieve  March 1, 2013 0:57 PM

today I finally found the perfect fabric for my duffle!

ama1love1098450 on craftsy.com
ama1love1098450  December 16, 2012 5:16 PM

Is there a way to put a long sturdy shoulder strap on this bag? If so how? Thanks in advance

Cherie Killilea  December 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Thanks for asking about the long shoulder strap. I used to make them with that option but I found that it is easy to load the bag too heavy for using it that way. What I prefer to do is make the jute straps a little longer if necessary. You will find carrying with the jute straps is the way to go.
If you still want to do a long strap, you add rings to the ends, right next to the zipper tabs - slightly diagonal from one another if you are looking at the bag from the top. Just a 3" long finished rectangle will do it (like wide belt loop - make the finished width 1") stitch it into the seam next to the zipper tab with the ring in it. Your long strap can hook into rings.
This is a big bag - not comfy to carry that way. Watch for the backpack coming this Spring for a fun, handsfree travel bag.
I hope that helps!

mtnqltg1110620 on craftsy.com
mtnqltg1110620  December 15, 2012 9:24 AM

I've heard of jute & I've heard of webbing, but never Jute Webbing. Please tell me what it is and where I can get it.
Thanks J

Cherie Killilea  December 29, 2012 2:12 PM

Thanks for asking. Jute is the fiber that the webbing is made from. Jute webbing is used in upholstery. It is woven over the frame of a chair or sofa to provide suport. I hope that helps. They do sell it at JoAnns. Just ask.

paisley_17 on craftsy.com
paisley_17  December 10, 2012 2:55 PM

Hello, I just love this pattern my family and I travel every winter and would love to make these as gifts. Problem is I am a beginner so beginner I just got my sewing machine today in the mail, Is this project easy enough for me to tackle?

Cherie Killilea  December 13, 2012 11:06 AM

I think "tackle" is the right word. Everything is explained thoroughly, so you would be able to follow along, but I think the quilting part and the size might be intimidating. I would suggest you make your first one with pre-quilted fabric. That will save time and there will be less bulk than using the batting that I do. Still, you will need to get a walking foot for your machine. It may not have come with one. This one may fit: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/walking-foot-elna-star-13-sewing-machine.aspx
You will want to find the one that is right for your machine.
I would love to see how you do!

Cherie Killilea  April 27, 2013 0:29 PM

I just wanted to add-on to this comment to let you know I have an easier and slightly smaller version of the duffle out now, it is here:

Marilyn4405633 on craftsy.com
Marilyn4405633  August 30, 2013 2:57 PM

this is probably this one that I need to try instead of the big one first-but I already bought the big one

kkondo001 on craftsy.com
kkondo001  November 15, 2012 11:12 PM

Hi, I just purchased your pattern here at Craftsy and I'm making it now, but I just realized that my jute webbing is too short. The instructions say that the jute needs to be 120" from end to end, so I measured it from farthest tip, since it's cut at a 45 degree angle, to the other side farthest tip. Was that wrong? It seems to me that based on the strap placement, it should be 124" from tip to tip? Am I doing something wrong?

Cherie Killilea  November 18, 2012 8:31 AM

Ooops! If you measure from the farthest tip on one side, measure from the nearest tip on the other. You want the total length to be 120" when you put them together. Measuring from the middle might be the easiest. If you still want to use the jute you have already cut, just make the handle parts slightly shorter. So if you are 4" short, take 2" off each handle measurement. I hope that makes sense! I should post some of the things I have made with my scraps of jute in case you want to start over. It may give you some ideas. I will post them to projects.

kkondo001 on craftsy.com
kkondo001  November 19, 2012 8:33 AM

Thank you so much for the reply and clarifying that! I appreciate it and yes I think I'll start over with the jute.

bcameron1923@gmail.com on craftsy.com
bcameron1923@gmail.com  August 2, 2014 9:48 AM

Is the jute you ask for the same kind of jute you use in upholstering?, and do you buy it by the yard? Thanks again, Bonnie

deiafreit1027910 on craftsy.com
deiafreit1027910  November 1, 2012 8:10 PM

brasil?

Cherie Killilea  November 10, 2012 2:16 PM

The pattern is in English. If you can read English, you can use the pattern. It is all online, so there is no shipping. I hope that answers your question!

Ellybelly44 on craftsy.com
Ellybelly44  October 24, 2012 7:32 AM

Hi, I'm from Australia. What are the actual dimensions of the finished bag please? I'm thinking of carry-on baggage on short flights. They are very strict about size for that here. Thanks, Elly

Cherie Killilea  October 28, 2012 10:33 AM

Elly, Thanks so much for asking. The full length is 20 inches and the sides are 12 by 12 inches. When I am flying with it, I leave a little room to squeeze it into the shape of the overhead bins which is 19 by 14 by 9 last time I checked. The airlines are a little touchy on those short flights in the smaller planes, so for those I do pack light. Then the duffle just looks like a really big purse over my arm. I hope that helps! <3 Cherie

Cherie Killilea  April 27, 2013 0:30 PM

I wanted to let you know I have sized it down and added a trolley sleeve specifically for carry on travel. The new pattern is here:

bcameron1923@gmail.com on craftsy.com
bcameron1923@gmail.com  August 2, 2014 9:45 AM

Hi, Cherie...What is a trolley sleeve? Been sewing everything for 65 years and am not familiar with this term. Thanks loads. Bonnie

Cherie Killilea  August 7, 2014 8:33 PM

Bonnie, The trolley sleeve is like a pocket that is open at the top and at the bottom, so you slide it over the handle of your rolling luggage to carry atop the rolling luggage - on the trolley.

Chef.Mama.Lori on craftsy.com
Chef.Mama.Lori  October 23, 2012 7:33 PM

I made 2 of these for my daughter to take to camp this summer and I've used them since. Great pattern and wonderful big bag!

Cherie Killilea  October 28, 2012 10:34 AM

I am so glad you love them and they are being put to use!

enorto1 on craftsy.com
enorto1  October 4, 2012 1:20 PM

I've had the fabric to make one of these for two years!! I need to get on that!!

Cherie Killilea  October 7, 2012 10:29 AM

You will be so glad you did!

mltapps6661913 on craftsy.com
mltapps6661913  July 13, 2012 8:37 PM

WOW! This is the Simplicity pattern I use!

Cherie Killilea  July 15, 2012 2:27 PM

I've changed it a little bit since the Simplicity version came out. Sometimes, after I have made over a hundred of an item, I update the pattern to reflect my most current version. For this bag, the zipper goes in differently and I eliminated the rings because I never used them, and changed the end tabs.
I hope you enjoy the duffles you have made. I use mine all of the time.

UAviles on craftsy.com
UAviles  July 18, 2012 8:12 AM

I purchased this pattern from Etsy a couple of years ago. Has the pattern changed since? Thanks in advance.

UAviles on craftsy.com
UAviles  July 18, 2012 8:25 AM

I forgot to ask... do I need to purchase pattern again for updated info?

Cherie Killilea  August 28, 2012 10:13 PM

Thanks for asking. The PDF version has not changed very much. The one you bought 2 years ago is still good.

mltapps6661913 on craftsy.com
mltapps6661913  July 13, 2012 8:38 PM

WOW! Tis is the Simplicity pattern I use!

Ann.R on craftsy.com
Ann.R  August 25, 2012 7:01 AM

I just bought this pattern from Joanne's Frabric ($1.99 pattern sale). I'm anxious to make it!

NancyWeavergirl on craftsy.com
NancyWeavergirl  August 25, 2012 2:02 PM

Can I make a larger version of this?

Cherie Killilea  August 28, 2012 10:19 PM

Nancy, that is a great question. I have had a couple of requests for larger bags. I can tell you from experience that you can go a tiny bit larger, like an inch each way. After that, the bag gets pretty ridiculous: as in, cumbersome to carry. I think most people are surprised at how big the bag is once they make it.

When I am traveling and I have a lot to carry, like multiple pairs of large shoes, lots of gear, etc. I use more than one bag. Each bag should be easy to carry when it is loaded.

NIVESC on craftsy.com
NIVESC  September 7, 2012 3:13 PM

HEJ HOW Can order one such BAG IF I AM FROM CROATIA, PLIZ EMAIL ME :)

visi on craftsy.com
visi  October 20, 2012 11:44 AM

you speak german ???? someone must send it to you by post from the USA. If you buy it and have it send to my address I am willing to send it to Kroatien, I am German, but live in the USA

ppickens941988 on craftsy.com
ppickens941988  September 13, 2012 8:02 AM

Your duffles look upbeat and cheery. Where do you purchase your fabrics?

Cherie Killilea  September 14, 2012 8:39 PM

Thanks for asking. I get a lot of them online. On Fabric.com, search for Amy Butler and Joel Dewberry. You will see a lot of the fabrics I use there. Also, HawthorneThreads.com has a great selection and there are fun ways to search there, by color, by designer, by what is new, etc. Great site! If you want to know about a specific combo, just email me and I will help you find it.

llynn60 on craftsy.com
llynn60  September 17, 2012 9:42 AM

What size of jute webbing do you need?

Cherie Killilea  September 20, 2012 0:49 PM