One Hour Book Bag

from That's Artrageous

Add your comment:

Linda_D on craftsy.com
Linda_D  May 1, 2014 10:27 AM

I made this bag last year, and everyone, including myself just loved it! I don't know what I did, but I didn't have raw edges...being a novice I must have made a mistake that turned out right! Thank you so much for offering this at a minimal cost that anyone can afford!

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  May 2, 2014 11:30 AM

I am so glad you had all good experiences with your bag. The previous instructions did not actually leave raw edges but give the options to zig-zag, or bind with bias tape to give a more finished look. However since I did have inquiries about the inside seam in the bottom of the bag I have revised the instructions so the bottom is more finished looking and the seam is hidden.

Elsbeth on craftsy.com
Elsbeth  August 24, 2013 9:51 AM

This would make a terrific lunch bag!

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  August 25, 2013 8:06 AM

Love that idea! With thermal batting and laminate fabric it would make a nice, big lunch bag.

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  June 1, 2013 5:52 AM

Thanks, I use it for my books, my patterns I am currently working on, my sketch book and whatever else I need for the day. It is such a good size and is sturdy. I also, use it for our charity project. Fill it with goodies and take it to someone in the hospital or nursing home or just give it to someone you love. I have made several. They are so fast.

EchoLin161286296 on craftsy.com
EchoLin161286296  May 30, 2013 3:21 AM

i never thought make a bag for my books, good idea.

debbysoth2454298 on craftsy.com
debbysoth2454298  February 13, 2014 1:35 PM

I just made 5 of these as gifts. They are really pretty. I love the shape and the knotted straps. I was a little disappointed when I realized there was a raw seam inside. I covered it. When I make this bag in the future I will use an alternative method of construction I just learned that will eliminate that raw seam. So, great looking bag, but the raw seam detracts just a bit from the overall look. Thanks!

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  February 14, 2014 8:56 AM

I appreciate your comments and I will make a revision on the pattern for those who want a cleaner finish inside soon. I understand how a raw edge in the bottom could be problematic for some people. I normally bind, serge or zig-zag the raw edge for this book bag. This book bag was originally designed for a group of women who have made hundreds of this bag for a charity work thus the quick method. Typically the purses I make do not have a raw edge. I appreciate your comment and hope your bags work well for you.

debbysoth2454298 on craftsy.com
debbysoth2454298  May 1, 2014 7:10 AM

I just downloaded the newest version of this pattern. I love this bag. and my friends love the ones I made for them as well. You improved what was already a beautiful bag! Thanks!

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  May 2, 2014 0:55 PM

Thank you, Debby. I appreciate your kind words and am thrilled others are enjoying the bag. I have working on a larger version of this bag with huge pockets on the outside of the bag and making the bag have a bigger bottom and I think it will be a great teacher tote bag. I plan to get the pattern up as soon as school ends this June.

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  May 2, 2014 1:16 PM

Oh, I hate it when I make grammatical mistakes online and cannot edit or delete it. You should try to read my texts. I have some really funny ones. I keep reminding myself, "proof read!" But I get in a hurry. Today, I was hurrying to help a student.

nwphillip1048870 on craftsy.com
nwphillip1048870  February 6, 2014 5:44 PM

About the construction.....are the outside and inside bottom sections finished with all four layers held together as one? This means that there is a raw seam in the bottom on the inside? I will bind it, but was wondering if I am reading it correctly....Thank you.

D. Royal on craftsy.com
D. Royal  February 7, 2014 10:32 PM

Yes, that is correct. The bottom on the inside is made up of all layers pulled together and sewn as one. I usually serge/zig zag/ or bind the edge to keep it from raveling for a neater construction. This bag was designed for a quick, simple construction in order to use them for the charity work in which I am involved. Thank you for your inquiry. I hope your bag works out well for you.

One Hour Book Bag Pattern