Free iPad Stand Sewing Pattern

from Gaila Designs

Add your comment:

RHeintz on craftsy.com
RHeintz  March 4, 2014 9:38 AM

I love this, and the illustrations make it SO much easier. It's also great the stand will fit into a carrying case. Thanks for the FREEBIE! I can't believe people can issue a complaint about a FREE patter!! :)

sweet caroline on craftsy.com
sweet caroline  August 29, 2013 6:32 PM

Is the card board really only 5"x5"?

Gaila Designs on craftsy.com
Gaila Designs  September 16, 2013 6:14 PM

Yes, the stand is not the full width of the tablet but is sufficiently wide to support the device. For the iPad mini or eReader it is 5x5, for the full sized iPad or larger tablets, 6x6.

Gaila Designs on craftsy.com
Gaila Designs  September 16, 2013 6:20 PM

You asked about the supply list measurements difference from the cut sizes. In most sewing patterns, the supply list calls for "x" yards of fabric, which is then cut down to pattern size. My instructions follow this same rule (supply list says "approximately", pattern instructions give the exact size). This gives you a piece large enough to 'true up' to the exact size needed. Because the pieces are far less than 'yardage' I didn't call for a yard amount as most sewists have scrap bags with pieces that would work for this project. I hope that helps!

Andrea_R on craftsy.com
Andrea_R  July 28, 2013 11:53 AM

How thick was the cardboard or foam core you used? I had some thin corrugated cardboard and there's way too much room left over.

If the fabric is cut 9" wide, with 1/2" seams, that leaves 8" for a 6" wide piece of cardboard. There's 2 full inches left over.

Andrea_R on craftsy.com
Andrea_R  July 28, 2013 0:49 PM

Actually it looks like from the picture with e measuring tape and the Velcro, which is slightly under six inches, that maybe the fabric should be 7" wide?

I've double checked my measurements and cutting, plus sewn the rectangle so there's only 8" left and cut 7" squares. Still a lose fit.

Andrea_R on craftsy.com
Andrea_R  July 28, 2013 1:10 PM

Never mind, apparently I can't read directions! I scrolled right past the measurements to cut and used the ones at the top. * facepalm*

Gaila Designs on craftsy.com
Gaila Designs  August 2, 2013 1:54 PM

Thanks for updating, glad it all worked out!

patzpix4u2616032 on craftsy.com
patzpix4u2616032  January 3, 2014 10:27 PM

I've made this using a 3 ring binder cover cut to size. It works perfectly and is sturdy and won't bend or flatten. A pencil works fine also, if you don't want to use a dowel.

Gaila Designs on craftsy.com
Gaila Designs  July 20, 2013 11:51 AM

The dowel needs to be 5 3/4" long, about 3/8" diameter. You can buy dowels at the hardware store or craft stores. Alternately, a pencil can be cut to length too. Sorry it took me a little time to get back to you, was having a hard time tracking down where you had sent the message from. Thanks for your message, happy stitching!

sweet caroline on craftsy.com
sweet caroline  August 29, 2013 6:30 PM

There are several different measurements in the instructions. I cut my dowel 4 3/4" as written in the supply list. Also my fabric measurements are from the supply list. Why are the measurements different in the written directions? I'm not sure why know one mentions this. I'm new to sewing but I'm a knitter and know how to follow a pattern.

Tamy on craftsy.com
Tamy  July 16, 2013 8:31 AM

How long is the dowel that is needed and where to buy?

Hover on craftsy.com
Hover  June 21, 2013 7:59 PM

Off to college gift.

carolined450119 on craftsy.com
carolined450119  June 21, 2013 7:15 AM

i'm going to make this :)

rosieodea54 on craftsy.com
rosieodea54  January 26, 2013 11:21 PM

This will be a cool project to make for my daughter.

Free iPad Stand Sewing Pattern Pattern