ZigZag Love

from Hope's Quilt Designs

Add your comment:

lkmerritt0 on craftsy.com
lkmerritt0  August 11, 2014 3:27 PM

I just finished a crib quilt using this pattern. I used a warm & natural batting and flannel for the back. This pattern is my new favorite!

HopeTN  August 15, 2014 10:53 PM

That's great, thank you :)

Diana Noble-Gulliford on craftsy.com
Diana Noble-Gulliford  July 1, 2014 0:52 PM

I have never done a quilt before but have been reading about quilting for a while. Do the instructions show you how to arrange the colors of the hearts so it has 'balance'?

HopeTN  July 1, 2014 8:54 PM

Hello - No, they don't, but here's what I like to do:

First, I lay the blocks all out as per the layout instructions, selecting the colours randomly, then I fiddle until the layout looks pleasing to my eye. I try to spread the colours and darks and lights around fairly evenly, and try not to get two of the same print touching each other. Taking a photo or "squinting" at your layout to make it a little blurry, can really help you see if anything stands out as 'wrong' or needs changing. It can also be helpful to lay it out, then leave it for a while and come back to see if you still like how it looks.

Some people put all their pieces in a bag, mix them around, and sew them in the order they're pulled out of the bag - true randomness.

Really, I believe that if it looks good to you, that is what really matters.

You may find it useful to look at the free Craftsy classes that are available on quilting. You'll pick up lots of tips and there might be some advice on balance in them too. I've just enrolled in a couple to check it out.

I hope this helps.

renae8281 on craftsy.com
renae8281  June 7, 2014 7:45 PM

I would like to make the larger quilt and was wondering if you have seen this made up in the larger sizes. I am thinking it may be a bit busy with all the small hearts. Should the hearts be enlarged a bit? How much would you enlarge? Would appreciate your thoughts.

HopeTN  June 8, 2014 1:03 AM

I have seen a large quilt, probably at least single bed size, done with small hearts, and it looked lovely - and must have taken a long time to make. I will ask the lady who made it if she will put a picture on here, or if she will let me, so you can see.

The larger quilt in the pattern uses 9 inch finished hearts, and has a border. I think any heart size would be quite effective, as long as you had enough hearts going across to give the zigzag. Something around 6 inches would be a good in-between size for a lap quilt or baby quilt.

renae8281 on craftsy.com
renae8281  June 9, 2014 9:36 AM

So does the pattern tell you how to make larger hearts? Are you saying the size of the FINISHED heart would be 6" for an inbetween size? You are so awesome to help us out. I have been looking at this pattern for sooooo long and now I think I have more confidence to purchase it and make it! A picture would be great of the larger quilt. It would help me decide which way to go. I'm purchasing it NOW!

HopeTN  June 9, 2014 7:17 PM

The pattern does tell you how to make larger hearts. The nine inch finished hearts are cut from layer cake squares and cutting sizes are give. For any other size heart, the instructions at the back of the pattern show you how to figure out what size pieces to cut - If you know the finished size of the heart you want, you can figure out what size to cut your pieces. I am just an email away if you need a hand with it, or with calculating how much fabric you'll need to buy.

And yes, I did mean six inches finished for an in-between size. :)

The picture of the larger quilt with small hearts has been posted now, so if you look under "Finished Projects" (link at the top of the comments) you'll see it there.

And thank you - I am happy to help where I can and it means a lot that it's appreciated.

renae8281 on craftsy.com
renae8281  June 10, 2014 4:05 PM

Than you a million times!

Blppep on craftsy.com
Blppep  August 31, 2014 7:55 AM

My picture is of a twin size. Really turned out great. I had to extend the borders to fit the bed but I really happy with the final product. I used two layer cakes.

twinkarin on craftsy.com
twinkarin  June 7, 2014 9:28 AM

i love this...are there instructions to make this quilt a little bigger? not bed size, but at least 35x35? I would love to make this...

HopeTN  June 7, 2014 7:23 PM

Thank you. There are instructions for a few sizes, as well as how to make any size heart block, allowing you to make any size quilt you need. I'm also happy to help with any questions you may have, working out fabric requirements, what size block to make, etc. My email address is included in the pattern.

An example of what you could do is follow the charm pack instructions included in the pattern (towards the end), but use two charm packs to make a quilt with 9 rows of 9 hearts, which would finish at about 36x36".

nanashome3950395 on craftsy.com
nanashome3950395  May 30, 2014 4:28 AM

I'm so sorry. I went back and looked again, and I was wrong.

HopeTN  May 30, 2014 6:33 PM

That's quite alright, it's an easy enough mistake to make with all the Facebook posts and links there are these days. :)

nanashome3950395 on craftsy.com
nanashome3950395  May 23, 2014 4:19 AM

The Facebook post says the pattern download is FREE. Obviously not.

HopeTN  May 23, 2014 7:06 AM

I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but I'm not aware of any that say it is free. If you can post a link I will have a look and make sure it's corrected. Thank you.

jsalber3420784 on craftsy.com
jsalber3420784  March 28, 2014 8:38 AM

did you use a certain named(brand,color) charm pack for the zig zag love pattern. I love the colors and wonder where I can find

HopeTN  March 28, 2014 7:19 PM

Yes, I used a Moda charm pack of Marmalade fabric, by Bonnie & Camille. It may be a bit hard to find now, as I made the quilt over a year and a half ago. Some of the other fabrics by Bonnie & Camille are similar, with the addition or omission of one or two colours. You might be able to mix and match their newer lines for a similar colour palette - Scrumptious and Happy-Go-Lucky for instance.

Good luck :)

lala19411957823 on craftsy.com
lala19411957823  March 20, 2014 2:43 PM

Is this pattern paper pieced?

HopeTN  March 21, 2014 0:39 AM

No, there's no paper piecing in this pattern.

Quiltaholic793 on craftsy.com
Quiltaholic793  March 20, 2014 9:47 AM

I am going to my quilt room right now and pull out all my Lily-of-the-Valley fabrics I have been collecting for years to make a quilt to honor my mother. This will be a perfect pattern. Lily-of-the-Valley was her favorite flower and also her birthday flower (May).

HopeTN  March 21, 2014 0:46 AM

How lovely! I'm so happy you've found this to be the right quilt pattern. I hope you have a wonderful time sewing it.

Quiltaholic793 on craftsy.com
Quiltaholic793  March 20, 2014 9:44 AM

I tried to buy this pattern with my credit card. FOUR unsuccessful attempts last night. Finally had to use my husband's PayPal acct. this morning.

HopeTN  March 21, 2014 0:48 AM

I'm sorry you had such trouble, thank you for persevering.

kfetzer7715616 on craftsy.com
kfetzer7715616  March 19, 2014 5:27 PM

I would love to order this pattern, but I can't get in to my Pay Pal acct. I have a new email address and I've tried everything. I just keep getting run around in circles.

HopeTN  March 19, 2014 6:22 PM

How strange! I'm not sure what the problem would be. Have you tried it without logging in to PayPal? I think you can pay by card without going through your PayPal account.

bettyferg2999549 on craftsy.com
bettyferg2999549  March 20, 2014 9:13 AM

I had trouble with my pay pal too, but just used a credit card instead.

Mlhoffa on craftsy.com
Mlhoffa  March 19, 2014 5:20 PM

I just made this pattern into a twin size quilt. Excellent instructions and tips! A joy to make!

HopeTN  March 19, 2014 6:17 PM

Wonderful! Thank you so much :)

pansylvr523 on craftsy.com
pansylvr523  March 3, 2014 11:13 AM

I have looked at many different projects and was happy to find this one. I am going to make this for my mom for Mother's day in her favorite flower, roses.

HopeTN  March 4, 2014 5:26 PM

That sounds beautiful :)

mcaddie3 on craftsy.com
mcaddie3  March 1, 2014 0:23 PM

Hi Hope,
I am in the planning stages of my Zig Zag Love quilt. I would like to make a generous Queen size quilt for my daughter with bright colored hearts. Polka dots, some solids, but lots of bright summer colors. How much yardage of fabrics would I need for this? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you, Linelle

mcaddie3 on craftsy.com
mcaddie3  March 1, 2014 0:24 PM

PS: I have limited access to Layer Cake packs here. : )

HopeTN  March 2, 2014 6:50 PM

Hi Linelle,

It is hard to say without more detail, such as the finished size of the quilt and what size hearts you want to make. If you email me, I'll let you know how to figure out what you'll need. :)

mcaddie3 on craftsy.com
mcaddie3  March 12, 2014 9:33 AM

Hi Hope,
Do you have a direct e-mail address that I may contact you at? I would like to discuss more options with the Zig Zag Love quilt with you.
mcaddie3@cableone.net

HopeTN  March 13, 2014 2:28 AM

I'm at hopesquiltdesigns@outlook.com I've emailed you too. :)

monica2905642 on craftsy.com
monica2905642  January 24, 2014 8:29 AM

hi,
I am new to sewing, but would love to try this. Can you tell me how many charm packs i would need to make it for a queen bed? i know beds are all a bit different, but just a rough idea so i know how many charms to buy.

thanks so much for you help

HopeTN  January 24, 2014 3:40 PM

Hi Monica

You would need a lot of charm pack hearts for a queen bed quilt, so I would recommend you use two Layer Cakes (10 inch squares). Make sure they contain at least 42 squares of fabric each - different brands have different numbers of squares per pack. The hearts would be larger, 9 inches finished, and you could make the quilt 81" square, nine rows of nine hearts. If you wanted it a bit larger, you could add borders all around or use another Layer Cake to add more hearts if you didn't want borders.

You would also need to buy almost 5 yards of background fabric (for the nine row layout). You will have off-cuts you can use for another project though.

There are instructions in the pattern for making a single bed quilt using a layer cake. You could follow these to get the cutting directions, or please feel free to email me with any questions or if you want more detail. I'm at hopesquiltdesigns@outlook.com

Thanks :)

SarahMae on craftsy.com
SarahMae  January 6, 2014 7:32 AM

This is so cute! I would like to make it in a twin for a friend's little girl. Just to be sure I understand...if I were to use a layer cake, there are instructions for bigger blocks?

HopeTN  January 6, 2014 7:43 PM

Thanks! That's right. There are instructions for a layer cake quilt that finishes at 55" x 80" including borders, which is what we'd call single bed size in Australia. The blocks finish up at 9 inches square. It would be easy enough to widen the borders if you needed a bigger quilt. The borders in the instructions are only 5 inches wide.

SarahMae on craftsy.com
SarahMae  January 7, 2014 1:39 PM

Perfect...thank you for your quick response! It really is so much cuter that just a plain chevron. Can't wait to get sewing!

HopeTN  January 7, 2014 9:00 PM

You're welcome! I hope you have fun with it :)

Linda Douglas on craftsy.com
Linda Douglas  September 20, 2013 1:14 PM

HELLO, just adorable! Just down loaded and now I'd like to do it in "Marmalade" too! Thank YOU so for sharing!
Happy Designing+Stitching, Linda

msstitcher1948(at)yahoo(dot)com

HopeTN  September 22, 2013 3:28 PM

Thank you so much for your lovely comment Linda! I do hope you enjoy making your quilt. Happy sewing!

sheri71837345 on craftsy.com
sheri71837345  September 1, 2013 6:16 PM

Hi I have just attempted to purchase this sweet pattern, but I am new to Craftsy. I cannot open PDF files on my iPad. Is there another way?

HopeTN  September 1, 2013 6:46 PM

Hi, the pattern is only available as a PDF. I don't own an iPad, but I think you can get a free Adobe Reader app for iPad, and other PDF reader apps for iPad too. I would suggest you contact Craftsy at help@craftsy.com and see what they would recommend. I've found their customer service to be quick and helpful.

Thanks so much :)

Katylou on craftsy.com
Katylou  September 25, 2013 3:53 AM

there is an iPad Adobe Reader app available. works great!

vtanguay511620 on craftsy.com
vtanguay511620  August 12, 2013 7:01 PM

A friend recommended this pattern for me cause she knows I love hearts. It's nice to see there are other people who have been collecting heart fabrics for years too! LOL I am planning to make it approx. 36 x 36 (or whatever those directions call for a small baby quilt) so I can donate it to the hospital. They require approx. 36 x 36 inch quilts for the incubators. Thank you for such a beautiful pattern.

HopeTN  August 13, 2013 1:35 AM

How sweet it would be to see a heart quilt in an incubator, so very nice of you. Thank you for your lovely comment. :)

qwltr96 on craftsy.com
qwltr96  Last response: July 16, 2013 4:54 PM

This looks like a fun project, can't wait to get started.!

HopeTN  July 17, 2013 1:10 AM

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! :)

khckjewel1694691 on craftsy.com
khckjewel1694691  July 13, 2013 0:00 AM

I like this, very cute!

HopeTN  July 13, 2013 3:20 AM

Thank you!

Sharyl Mart on craftsy.com
Sharyl Mart  July 12, 2013 0:49 PM

So sad. I just bought this. Was expecting to get it in the mail (yep, I'm from dinosaur age). Now I can't download it. :( Can't even download latest version of Adobe Reader.

HopeTN  July 12, 2013 5:00 PM

Hi Sharyl, I have sent you an email.

darlin121 on craftsy.com
darlin121  July 12, 2013 0:17 AM

I will definitely be making this in a larger size. I have lots of HEART fabric and this is just what I want to do with it!

HopeTN  July 12, 2013 5:00 PM

Wonderful! I hope you'll share photos when it's done :)

jck34014419 on craftsy.com
jck34014419  July 11, 2013 4:23 PM

Beautiful, Hope! Happy hearts!

HopeTN  July 11, 2013 4:56 PM

Thanks so much! :)

MielNina on craftsy.com
MielNina  June 9, 2013 8:51 AM

I love this pattern. I've been collecting 'heart' fabrics for years. Guess where they are going? This is the perfect Love quilt! I'd been trying to figure out what to take to work on at retreat this summer, you solved that issue!!! Thanks Hope, it's beautiful <3

HopeTN  June 9, 2013 5:46 PM

How perfect! Thank you for your lovely comment. Have a great time at your retreat :)

griegokat1309186 on craftsy.com
griegokat1309186  June 5, 2013 5:21 PM

I would like to make a baby quilt will the pattern assist me with the dimensions

HopeTN  June 5, 2013 8:00 PM

There are instructions included for a quilt top 44.5 x 56.5 inches which would be a decent size for a baby quilt. Or, for something a little smaller and quicker you could make twice the blocks required for the small quilt shown, lay them out 8 hearts across by 10 down (you'll have 4 hearts left over), and add a 3.5 inch finished border all round. This would allow you to get the backing from a single width of regular quilting cotton. You'd end up with a quilt about 35.5 x 42.5 inches, also a decent size for a baby.

Dana Gaffney on craftsy.com
Dana Gaffney  June 3, 2013 9:31 AM

I fell in love with this pattern the first time I saw it, soooo cute. What are your rules for my finished project? is it personal use only?

HopeTN  June 3, 2013 5:51 PM

Thank you so much! Please go ahead and do whatever you like with your finished project. You are quite welcome to sell, donate, raffle, gift... Or keep for yourself of course. As far a I'm concerned your finished product is yours - all I lay claim to is the pattern. :)

Dana Gaffney on craftsy.com
Dana Gaffney  June 4, 2013 8:37 AM

Oh, thanks so much. I want to make one and donate it to a fund raiser and of course I'll be making one for myself :)

HopeTN  June 4, 2013 7:49 PM

That's so nice of you. I hope the fund raiser does well. :)

karenambrecht@sbcglobal.net on craftsy.com
karenambrecht@sbcglobal.net  May 22, 2014 5:40 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking a American Cancer society Relay for Life Fundraiser. Thanks so much for the pattern, like many others i love hearts

HopeTN  May 23, 2014 1:15 AM

You're welcome, and thank you. I am so very pleased people like the pattern. Best of luck with the fundraiser if you do go ahead.

lamkinb211536633 on craftsy.com
lamkinb211536633  May 29, 2013 7:57 PM

I love this can't wait to make it for my granddaughter

HopeTN  May 29, 2013 9:12 PM

Thank you :) Do share pictures when you make one, please, I'd love to see.

Marilyn Grubbs on craftsy.com
Marilyn Grubbs  May 8, 2013 6:12 PM

I love the looks of this quilt---got to make one!!

HopeTN  May 8, 2013 6:41 PM

Lazertek on craftsy.com
Lazertek  May 4, 2013 7:36 PM

I'm looking forward to making it. My sister-in-law bought me a set of fat quarters from Hawaii, so I'll be making this little larger.

HopeTN  May 5, 2013 5:40 AM

Sounds wonderful! I'd love to see it when it's done. I hope you'll share a photo or two :)

Lazertek on craftsy.com
Lazertek  May 2, 2013 9:39 PM

What is the difficulty? How are those little squares at the top of the hearts set in?

HopeTN  May 2, 2013 10:42 PM

I'd call it an easy pattern. The method is quite simple and fully explained, and the piecing just involves squares and rectangles, with no setting in. The hearts are formed in halves, and the squares at the top of the hearts happen when the rows are joined.

bonnyquilter on craftsy.com
bonnyquilter  May 2, 2013 10:13 AM

this is sooo cute can't wait to make it for a friend

HopeTN  May 2, 2013 8:03 PM

That's so nice of you - lucky friend. I hope you enjoy making it. :)

Pattimyself on craftsy.com
Pattimyself  April 9, 2013 7:34 AM

I swore I wasn't going to buy any more charts but I just can't resist because it's so gorgeous.

HopeTN  April 9, 2013 4:36 PM

Thank you so much for the compliment!

peaceful.acres@windstream.net on craftsy.com
peaceful.acres@windstream.net  March 17, 2013 5:32 AM

Thank you for the pattern! When I saw your picture, I just fell in love with it! Hoping to get started on one very soon. It's just so bright and cheerful. Just right for a baby blanket.

HopeTN  March 18, 2013 0:08 AM

You're welcome! Thank you for such a lovely comment :) I'd love to see some photos when you get a chance to start.

wsbarr1320686 on craftsy.com
wsbarr1320686  March 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Could the ZigZag Love quilt pattern be made large enough for a crib for a baby?

HopeTN  March 12, 2013 4:46 PM

Yes, definitely. There are instructions in the pattern for various sizes, as well as instructions on how to make a heart block in any size you like. From there it would be simple to make a crib quilt, with hearts in whatever size you prefer. If you wanted help at all to get to a specific size, I'd be happy to give some assistance.

suzitee on craftsy.com
suzitee  March 4, 2013 10:47 PM

I'm really excited to start this project...a well witten, very clear pattern and totally gorgeous design. Thank you Hope! Can't wait to see what you come up with next ;)

HopeTN  March 4, 2013 11:29 PM

lizziebrown on craftsy.com
lizziebrown  February 28, 2013 7:39 AM

This looks very well-written. I'm excited to start a big lap quilt.

HopeTN  February 28, 2013 7:38 PM

That's wonderful! I'd love to see it, I hope you'll share photos.

onaemtnest on craftsy.com
onaemtnest  February 27, 2013 6:34 AM

I just downloaded this delightful pattern and I must say it is probably the best downloaded pattern I've ever purchased. The detailed instructions are supported by easy to follow drawings. As a very visual person who does not usually like written instructions this pattern is wonderful! Thank-you Hope and I look forward to your future patterns!

HopeTN  February 27, 2013 11:48 PM

Thank you!

lindajone1964313 on craftsy.com
lindajone1964313  August 31, 2013 4:49 PM

Linda Cole
The Heart pattern is just Beautiful. The Moda heart pattern is cute but doesn't compare
to yours. I plan on on making a throw from your pattern. Thank you Hope.

HopeTN  September 1, 2013 6:48 PM

Thank you Linda, that's a lovely compliment. I hope you enjoy making the throw. :)

mcaddie3 on craftsy.com
mcaddie3  February 15, 2014 5:58 PM

I'm a beginning quilter and have been looking and looking for a heart quilt to make for my daughter, (to remind her of my never ending love for her). I even have my quilting friends looking for patterns! I found it today! I can't wait to order this and get started : ) Thank you!!

HopeTN  February 16, 2014 3:51 PM

What a lovely thought, I"m so glad you've found the right pattern. :) I do hope you enjoy making the quilt. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. Happy Sewing!

HopeTN  July 17, 2013 1:08 AM

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! :)

HopeTN  July 17, 2013 1:11 AM

That was meant for you qwltr96 :)

ruamom on craftsy.com
ruamom  July 11, 2013 11:19 AM

Could this pattern be adapted to precursor like charms or jelly rolls?

ruamom on craftsy.com
ruamom  July 11, 2013 11:19 AM

I meant precuts.

HopeTN  July 11, 2013 4:55 PM

Yes, there are instructions for 5" charm packs, 10" layer cakes and jelly rolls included in the pattern. :)

acehaylin2863743 on craftsy.com
acehaylin2863743  January 23, 2014 4:41 PM

How many jelly rolls to make this size quilt.

acehaylin2863743 on craftsy.com
acehaylin2863743  January 23, 2014 4:42 PM

what I should have said I have one jelly roll. What size of quilt in this design will I be able to make? thanks.

HopeTN  January 23, 2014 9:16 PM

Hi acehaylin2863743 - With a jelly roll you can make a quilt 44 x 56 inches - that's without any borders. It's a lot of hearts, 154 in total.

You can get 4 hearts, each finishing at 4 inches square, from one jelly roll strip.

HopeTN  January 23, 2014 9:19 PM

I should just say that the quilt size I mentioned above assumes 40 strips of fabric in a jelly roll.

judyshafe36468 on craftsy.com
judyshafe36468  April 28, 2014 9:50 PM

what is the size of the table topper that is shown on line? What precut is this done with? thanks

HopeTN  April 28, 2014 10:03 PM

Hi judyshafe36468 - The size of the table topper shown is 25 inches wide by 21.5 inches tall (including a quarter inch binding). It uses a 5x5 inch charm pack, which is trimmed down a little for added accuracy.

There are also directions in the pattern for using a charm pack as-is (apart from cutting required to make the heart block) which gives a finished size of 28.5 inches wide by 24.5 inches tall.

ZigZag Love Pattern