Free Form Five Patch

from Doe's Designs

Add your comment:

Debbie Smalling Smith on craftsy.com
Debbie Smalling Smith  May 29, 2014 0:42 PM

This is very confusing. I can't figure out what to do with the groups of 3 and then we go to groups of 5. I could use some clarifications. I love the colors and the look but I can't seem to get there from here. LOL

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  May 30, 2014 5:07 AM

The first statement of "groups of three" is a typo. You will always work in groups of five.
Stack five fat quarters; trim to even bottom edge. Make first cut 10 from edge, across 22 width of fat quarters. Set aside top section. (You will choose 10 of these for bindings.)
Working with one of these groups of five. Make CUT 1 from left side, CUT 2 from bottom, CUT 3 from left of inner square, CUT 4 from bottom of inner square."

Each fat quarter is used in two stacks. You can rearrange them. Three sets of three is a typo. Should be three sets of five.

JUDYDOWKER on craftsy.com
JUDYDOWKER  April 14, 2014 8:24 AM

cant find download

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  April 18, 2014 6:47 AM

it's working fine for me. Sorry, Judy, don't know what to say.

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  June 21, 2013 6:04 AM

That's the "free form part" There are no specific sizes for the cuts. Just that you stack the five fabrics before you cut so that that set matches up. After you've sewn them (and they do NOT match up perfectly, as in the pictures on page 3) you square them up to 8 and 1/2 x 8 1/2.

blubell on craftsy.com
blubell  April 26, 2013 9:45 AM

Do I need to prewash my fabric?

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  April 28, 2013 6:54 AM

That's a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. For this quilt, I don't think it matters unless you're afraid the colors in your fabrics will run.

blubell on craftsy.com
blubell  May 3, 2013 9:31 AM

Thanks..I did it anyway.

erzille828604 on craftsy.com
erzille828604  July 12, 2012 4:18 PM

Very nice!

Monty24 on craftsy.com
Monty24  July 29, 2012 2:57 PM

I have a couple of questions that I need clarified.
1 - the supply list says 15 fat quarters, then it says to arrange in 3 sets of 3 (that's only 9 fat quarters); but then it says groups of 5, and at the end it states repeat for remaining (5 sets). That leads me to believe that you either I need 30 fat quarter or each fat quarter is used in 2 sets.

2 - I've tried to figure out the math in the cutting suggestions to see if that is where I'm going wrong with question 1. It states to make first cut across 22" side, after that am I to cut the remaining 10" x 22" piece in half and then proceed with cutting the piece in the 5 patches?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  September 19, 2012 6:19 AM

"You will always work in groups of five.

Yes-- each fat quarter is used in two stacks. You can rearrange them. Three sets of three is a typo. Should be three sets of five.

The part left after you set aside the 22' strips for the binding is subcut into two, from which you cut the blocks.

Lea Anne on craftsy.com
Lea Anne  May 8, 2013 1:07 PM

I don't understand the cutting instructions either. Are you saying that after the 1st 10 inch cut from the edge, you make a total of 4 more cuts making your various size pieces; then you make 5 blocks from those cuts which are going to end up being 8.5" square. Seems like I'm going to have a lot of fabric for that small a block. Don't understand what you say above either "each fat quarter is used in two stacks"????

Debbie Smalling Smith on craftsy.com
Debbie Smalling Smith  June 19, 2013 0:45 PM

I am lost in the cutting instructions. What are the dimensions of the pieces that you need to cut to form the blocks. Then what is the size of the finished block. I know that I must be on brain freeze but I can't figure it out either. Help! I understand the Take 5 quilt instructions...but I just don't understand the size of the pieces.

Debbie aka Doe on craftsy.com
Debbie aka Doe  June 21, 2013 6:07 AM

To Lea Ann, sorry I'm just seeing this. From each fat quarter you start with two 10" squares, and have an a section approx. 8 x 22" left. You make yours binding strips from these .

Free Form Five Patch Pattern