Basic Skills Necessary:
- Knit and purl stitches
- Cast on, cast off
- Cable Stitch
- Seam sewing
Finished knitted items may be sold.
These cute cats are quick to knit using a bulky weight yarn with either two or three strands held together.
Instructions are given for three sizes. Buttons and sewn on embellishments complete the features. The cats are
knitted in pieces then sewn together.
Instructions for the Mini Ginger Cat version are given at the end of the pattern.
Approx. 7-8 stitches over 4" (10cm) on size 12 mm (US 17) needles or size to achieve gauge - It is
important to achieve a close knit fabric to prevent the stuffing from escaping.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- White Cat 10ins x 6ins (26cm x 15cm). Black Cat 12ins x 6 ins ( 30cm x 15 cm) . Brown Tabby Cat 14 ins x 6 ins (35cm x 15 cm).
- Mini Ginger Cat approx. 3 inches tall (8 cm).
- A bulky weight yarn is used throughout with two or three strands held together to achieve a close knit fabric. You will need a main colour and a small amount of contrast yarns for the features and feet. Note: When using three strands held together from two balls of yarn, find the end from the middle of one ball and the beginning along with the beginning from the second ball.
You Will Also Need:
Read blog or news article about this pattern »
- White cat x2 100g balls Stylecraft Super Chunky in Cream #2370 (Knit holding three strands together) Oddments of black dk cotton for the features and chunky black yarn for the feet. Black cat x2 100g balls Stylecraft Super Chunky in Charcoal mix #2371 (Knit holding three strands together) Oddments of white/cream dk cotton for the features and chunky cream yarn for the feet. Brown Tabby Cat x2 Rowan - Drift #901 (Knit holding two strands together) Oddments of white/cream dk cotton for the features and chunky cream yarn for the feet. Alternative yarn suggestions Debbie Bliss Como, Rowan Big Wool (use two strands held together if using these yarns) Filling, approx. 100-200g of 100% wool fibre per cat or polyester fibre filling in a dark or light colour to match the colour of cat. The darker the better for the black cat so that the filling does not show through the knitting. Pair of size 12 mm knitting needles (US size 17) Pair of size 8 mm knitting needs (these are not essential they are only used to make the cats feet, if you don't have this size use the nearest you have) #2 buttons per cat 1/2 inch diameter (15mm) and strong sewing thread with suitable size needle for sewing Tapestry needle for sewing the side seams etc. Cable needle (or double pointed needle)
- Mini Ginger Cat - 3.75 mm (US 5) and 2.75 mm (US 2) knitting needles, double knitting yarn.