Basic Skills Necessary:
- yo = yarn over
- ssk = sl 1 knitwise, sl 1 knitwise, sl both sts back to LH needle, k2tog-tbl
- k2tog = knit 2 sts tog
- p2tog = purl 2 sts tog
- sk2p = sl 1, k2tog, pass sl st over k2tog
- knitting in the rnd
- ssp = sl 1 knitwise, sl 1 knitwise, sl both sts back to LH needle, p2tog-tbl
- Picking up sts
- working short rows
- W&T = wrap & turn for working short rows
A Tunic-Length Sleeveless Cowl in Malabrigo yarn. Ooh - gotta love that Malabrigo Worsted! It has amazing yardage and is sooooo soft to work with!
The yarn is heavenly on slightly larger needles, allowing the true softness to come out. And there is still wonderful stitch definition. The beauty of the hand- dyed color also comes through.
The Sleeveless Cowl is knit from the bottom up in one piece. The lace stitch is easy to work and creates a beautiful all- over open lace look, as well as a naturally scalloped hem. The waist is shaped to further emphasize the long and lean look.
The front neckline is shaped so the generous ribbed cowl can fall forward on the neck in a most flattering way.
AND, it only took 3 hanks of Malabrigo for the 2 smallest sizes!!
14sts=4" [10cm] and 21rows=4" [10cm] in Lace patt and St st
16 sts = 4" [10 cm] in Ribbing, unstretched
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. A LARGE swatch (6" [15 cm] x 6" [15 cm]) is recommended for measuring your gauge more accurately. Be sure to block swatch before measuring. Row gauge reflects this sweater's tendency to stretch slightly in length when worn.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- 29 1/4 (32 1/2, 37 1/4, 40 1/2, 45 1/4, 48 1/2, 53 1/4)" [74.5 (82.5, 94.5, 103, 115, 123, 135.5) cm] TO FIT SIZES: XS (S, M, L, 1X, 2X, 3X) or Bust Sizes 28-30 (32-34, 36-38, 40-42, 44-46, 48-50, 52-54)" [71-76 (81.5-86.5, 91.5-96.5, 101.5-106.5, 112-117, 122-127, 132-137) cm]. This sweater is intended to have 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" negative ease.
- A worsted weight yarn in a merino wool blend: Approximate total yardage required: 590 (630, 730, 855, 960, 1065, 1150) yds [542 (578, 671, 786, 882, 979, 1057) m]
You Will Also Need:
- Size 11 [8 mm]: circular needle OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE (for working Sweater BODY). Maximum length of needle depends on size: For Sizes XS and S ONLY: 24" [60 cm] long circular needle suggested. For Sizes M and L ONLY: 24" [60 cm] to 40" [100 cm] long circular needle suggested. For Sizes 1X, 2X, and 3X ONLY: 24" [60 cm] to 42" [80 cm] long circular needle suggested.
- Size 11 [8 mm]: 24" [60 cm] long or shorter circular needle OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE (for working Cowl Neck and Armhole Edgings)
- Spare circular needle in Size 11 [8 mm] or smaller to use as a st holder
- Stitch markers (in 2 colors)
- Row counter
- Yarn tapestry needle
1150 yards of Worsted weight
Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted
Bijou Blue #608