Owl Basket

from Crochet Ever After

Add your comment:

Carmfuria261639 on craftsy.com
Carmfuria261639  August 31, 2014 6:14 AM

I received an email saying there was a new version of this pattern. I've been all over the site looking for it with no luck. What exactly is the new version vs. the old version?

vingaraej2494731 on craftsy.com
vingaraej2494731  August 10, 2014 8:37 PM

Does anyone reply t/t? I have asked below?

vingaraej2494731 on craftsy.com
vingaraej2494731  August 10, 2014 2:24 PM

I'm interested in buying this pattern, but have concerns. Is t/pattern mailed t/u? What is a "magic adjustable loop"? I've been crocheting f/over 43 yrs & have never heard this terminology before. I don't want t/purchase something & not be able t/follow t/pattern. Please advise.

vingaraej2494731 on craftsy.com
vingaraej2494731  August 10, 2014 2:25 PM

Also, how big is this?

vingaraej2494731 on craftsy.com
vingaraej2494731  August 10, 2014 2:27 PM

I just found t/dimensions.

Deja Jetmir  August 15, 2014 7:30 AM

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I only receive a weekly digest of comments from Craftsy unfortunately. I see you found the dimensions. The magic adjustable loop is also known as the magic adjustable ring. It's a foundation that creates a completely closed hole. I have video tutorials for it on my website if you've never tried it before. The pattern is an instant download that you can print at home.

If you have any other questions I can get back to much faster if you want to contact me straight through my website: crocheteverafter.com and I will help you in anyway I can. :)

Annette Magyar on craftsy.com
Annette Magyar  July 28, 2014 6:32 PM

Help! I am almost finished with the owl basket and I have run out of yarn. I am on row 26 of 27 and one more eye to make. My gauge is correct, all of my stitch counts have come out correctly the height is correct but the diameter is much larger than listed in the pattern. I cannot figure out why.

Deja Jetmir  August 1, 2014 6:42 AM

Hi there, I'm sorry if you are having any trouble. Are you sure the gauge is right on? With such large stitches if you are just slightly off it could result in a huge difference in size and yarn used. The two skeins will only have about 20 yards leftover (tried to use as much as possible since they are so expensive). I would like to help you further. Craftsy only sends me a weekly update of comments left. You can contact me on my website (it's at the bottom of the pattern) and I can get back to you much faster.

Robynbrowes on craftsy.com
Robynbrowes  July 17, 2014 7:09 PM

The basket is super cute, but if I had realized the yarn needed to be wound by hand and the pattern was hold-4 then I wouldn't have purchased the kit. Also, the eyes turn out to be asymmetrical when I followed the pattern.

kkoechli1032037 on craftsy.com
kkoechli1032037  May 22, 2014 7:04 PM

Hi! I purchased the kit with this pattern and yarn and there was not enough yarn to complete the pattern. How can I get more yarn so I can finish it? I followed the pattern, so I'm not sure why I ran out.

Deja Jetmir  May 23, 2014 8:05 AM

Hi there, how was your gauge reading? There should be enough to complete the project with some leftover. :)

kkoechli1032037 on craftsy.com
kkoechli1032037  May 23, 2014 8:53 PM

I do tend to crochet a bit tight, but it looks like I'm pretty close. My gauge is correct on the rows but maybe a 1/4 inch short on the HDCs depending where I measure.

Deja Jetmir  May 26, 2014 8:03 AM

That might be causing it. There is maybe 20 yards or so leftover after the project so it's a pretty close guage. I have a video on my website that shows working the first round of the basket so you can see how tightly I crochet the stitches. If you need further help, please feel free to contact me through my website. Unfortunately, Craftsy doesn't have an automatic notification system when a comment is left here, so I miss them for a couple of days and I would like to get back to you much sooner than that. :)

kkoechli1032037 on craftsy.com
kkoechli1032037  May 26, 2014 7:27 PM

Thanks! I will check that out and contact you through the website if I have more questions. I really appreciate you help and look forward to making this basket work!

smiller562154032 on craftsy.com
smiller562154032  May 17, 2014 2:53 PM

What is a "Magic Adjustable Hoop" and where can I get one?
The only crochet hooks I have are letters so what hook should I use for this pattern?

christine59724 on craftsy.com
christine59724  May 22, 2014 9:06 AM

She is saying"magic adjustable LOOP" and is is a way to start your projects instead of crocheting into the "second loop" she has a tutorial on how to work this stitch.

Deja Jetmir  May 23, 2014 8:06 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I unfortunately only get a weekly notice of comments left. I have a few tutorials that will show you how to make a magic adjustable loop on my website. :)

wasabisam on craftsy.com
wasabisam  May 15, 2014 11:43 AM

Hi Deja,

I just ordered the kit, and received the yarn today. The pattern says to use a 10mm hook and I have an N hook that is 10mm (http://www.amazon.com/Rosewood-Crochet-Hook-Size-10mm/dp/B003D7MC1M), but I see P referenced in an earlier comment. Do I have the right sized hook or should I get a different one?

Thanks in advance!

Deja Jetmir  May 16, 2014 6:58 AM

Hi there, different manufacturers state different letters for their 10mm hook. You want to stick with the 10mm and not go with the letter (not sure why they are different for different companies). :)

wasabisam on craftsy.com
wasabisam  May 19, 2014 10:07 AM

I kind of thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation! :)

1LazyDazy on craftsy.com
1LazyDazy  May 13, 2014 10:22 AM

Hi Deja, I fell in love with your basket at first glance, so I just ordered the kit. I am so excited to get started on this project when the yarn arrives!

Deja Jetmir  May 16, 2014 6:58 AM

Thanks so much!!

Maryann Gorman on craftsy.com
Maryann Gorman  March 18, 2014 6:24 PM

Hi Deja, I just finished the base and am loving this pattern. It's quite a workout for the hands and arms, with all that thick yarn and big hook! Anyway, over on Ravelry I see a couple of people are saying they just made two of the first eye and flipped the second one, since the two different eye patterns made slightly asymmetric eyes. Do you see a problem with doing that little trick? Thanks for a fun great pattern!

Deja Jetmir  March 21, 2014 9:36 AM

You can definitely flip the eye; however, you will get a "right side" eye and a "wrong side" eye so they will look a little different. I went with the lesser of two evils and made the second eye facing the "right side" but had to adjust the pattern slightly to make that happen. So if you look closely at the left eye in the picture you can see the asymmetry, but I thought it was less noticeable than flipping the eye. :) You can try both and see which one you like better.

Maryann Gorman on craftsy.com
Maryann Gorman  March 21, 2014 9:36 PM

Thank you!

Sheri Austin on craftsy.com
Sheri Austin  March 4, 2014 8:09 PM

I'm a beginner. What is the difficulty level for this project? Wondering if could do it?

Sheri Austin on craftsy.com
Sheri Austin  March 4, 2014 8:56 PM

I ordered it . . . will give it a try!

Deja Jetmir  March 21, 2014 9:37 AM

Sorry I didn't reply back. I don't get an email every time someone comments, just kind of a weekly recap and it doesn't include all the comments. I will have to see if I can get this changed somehow. Sorry about that. :(

kkitlon on craftsy.com
kkitlon  February 20, 2014 1:46 PM

I fell in love with this owl at first sight - and love the pattern. My first try, I used a "natural' worsted weight (2 strands) and a G hook. I plan on making many variations of this - thank you!

Deja Jetmir  February 21, 2014 6:27 AM

Thanks so much!!

ashleybecker22 on craftsy.com
ashleybecker22  January 26, 2014 5:17 PM

I'm wanting to make this and wondering if you double or triple strand the yarn while working it? I see it says 900 yards which seems like an awful lot, lol.

Deja Jetmir  January 29, 2014 6:25 PM

You actually quadruple the yarn. :)
As you can see from the picture it takes very few rounds to finish it and those are full sized bath towels rolled up in it.

Naw3 on craftsy.com
Naw3  January 8, 2014 5:12 PM

I just purchased the pattern and can't seam to find it can some one please help

stitch2 on craftsy.com
stitch2  January 29, 2014 2:32 PM

You should find it under "My Patterns" in your profile section. Hope that helps.

chris.sarah.claire.carmen on craftsy.com
chris.sarah.claire.carmen  December 20, 2013 9:32 AM

Love your pattern! I found the tip of the second eye a little tricky but it turned out wonderful. Thank you! Oh and I used Bernat Handicrafter off white cotton.

Deja Jetmir  February 21, 2014 6:27 AM

That eye is a little tricky, I'm glad you got it!

BoonJ on craftsy.com
BoonJ  November 10, 2013 6:41 AM

Please can you tell me what a good alternative to Cascade Yarns would be as I can't get it in England. Thank you.

Deja Jetmir  November 15, 2013 9:31 AM

Do you have Lion Brand thick and quick? That is a good alternative and you can use less strands to get gauge.

BoonJ on craftsy.com
BoonJ  November 25, 2013 4:05 PM

I haven't been able to find Lion Brand. I've got Rowan purelife which is a chunky. Would two strands sufficient? I tried three and it was really difficult.

Deja Jetmir  November 29, 2013 4:08 PM

You can definitely use that. Also if the two strands is enough to make gauge then that's perfect. :)

yuna3022 on craftsy.com
yuna3022  September 9, 2013 10:13 AM

I'm having a problem with this project. I cannot find the preferred brand of yarn at any of my local stores and really don't want to order online. I bought some bulky weight wool as sugguested, but had a really hard time starting the project with a P hook and four strands of the yarn, so I used a Q hook instead. I'm only on the 7th round and the base of the basket is getting really big. I'm afraid this is turning into an epic failure. Any suggestions?

Deja Jetmir  September 13, 2013 9:01 AM

The stitches are going to be very tight when using the P hook. That gives it the ability to stand on its own without being filled. It's almost like working amigurumi on a really large scale. You want super tight stitches.

robbie1234 on craftsy.com
robbie1234  September 6, 2013 5:03 PM

what is a majic adjustable loop? does that mean after I've done 8 hdc that I join the ends together then do 16 hdc (2 sts in each stc?)?

yuna3022 on craftsy.com
yuna3022  September 9, 2013 10:15 AM

You might google it and find a tutorial for it or even a youtube video, but you first make a chain of four and then join it, and then do the 8 hdcs into it. Hope that helps :)

Deja Jetmir  September 13, 2013 9:00 AM

I have a video tutorial on my website that shows how to do a magic adjustable loop. :)

robbie1234 on craftsy.com
robbie1234  September 13, 2013 7:19 PM

Thanks - I was able to find it and replicate it. Loving the pattern - it's going to be the perfect gift for my daughter who's a teacher!

thanks

christine59724 on craftsy.com
christine59724  July 18, 2013 9:31 AM

I love this pattern, it is so easy to work and although I didn't use the required yarn amounts my basket turned out quite well and my daughter loved it! Thanks you for the pattern.

Deja Jetmir  July 19, 2013 6:56 AM

That's fantastic! I'm so glad you like it. Thanks so much!

christine59724 on craftsy.com
christine59724  July 26, 2013 2:08 PM

you are most welcome.

DonnaCatalano on craftsy.com
DonnaCatalano  January 30, 2014 10:59 AM

When I receive a message that says this pattern has been updated, do I need to download it again? Thanks

christine59724 on craftsy.com
christine59724  January 31, 2014 6:54 AM

I usually do, sometimes it might be just a little change like a ch3 instead of ch2 or it could be something major, but I usually download the update and check out the updates, hope that helps.

Deja Jetmir  February 7, 2014 8:02 AM

Hi there, the update was just a fixing of the material list. No change to the actual pattern. :)

Nevada5 on craftsy.com
Nevada5  February 13, 2014 5:48 PM

This pattern has been easy, but I have one question. I think there is a mistake in Eye #1. Eye #2 ends with HDC, SC. It seems that #1 should start that way to eliminate the drop-off.
My daughter saw this before the eyes were on and thought that it would make a great tote or, if bigger, a beach bag.

Deja Jetmir  February 14, 2014 7:54 AM

Hey there, The pattern is correct. :) The ending for eye 2 is to keep from having the offset when finishing the eye. There is no offset on the first eye since it ends with the eye point.

Rita Maria on craftsy.com
Rita Maria  February 9, 2014 10:30 PM

Hello Deja, greetings from Brazil :) I absolutely LOVED your Owl Basket and I wanna make it !!! It's so cute. The eyes are amazing. Great idea :D Never saw one like them before. Congrats for the design. I'd like to get this pattern but I have some questions about it. Do you have a facebook page to talk to me about it?Thank you so much and happy hooking !!!

Deja Jetmir  February 14, 2014 7:55 AM

Hi there, I have a website where you can contact me. crocheteverafter.com :)

Rita Maria on craftsy.com
Rita Maria  February 16, 2014 2:56 PM

Going there :) Muahhh

Rhonda Vaughan on craftsy.com
Rhonda Vaughan  April 10, 2014 10:59 AM

I love your Owl Basket, I have made mine and it does not compare to your product sample picture. I used the Thick and Quick Wool-Ease as you suggested for the substitute. I used two strands to make the correct gauge It is very flimsy not sturdy and I do not like the shape. Any suggestions? I don't know of anything further I can do to fix it. MG_8685.jpg

Deja Jetmir  April 11, 2014 7:24 AM

Hi there, so sorry to hear you are having trouble. Make sure that you use a hook that will produce the stiffest stitches possible. You might need to go smaller than the 10mm with the substituted yarn. It should be like a large version of amigurumi.

Robynbrowes on craftsy.com
Robynbrowes  July 17, 2014 7:18 PM

I made this project but could not "hold-4" so I used two strands instead with an 8mm hook and then purchased an inexpensive wicker basket to insert inside and give the owl shape.

Owl Basket Pattern