Add your comment:

rhoho221079689 on craftsy.com
rhoho221079689  July 31, 2013 4:11 PM

Marken, I emailed u months ago about the owl tote and the patten. The pattern directions were perfect. I wasn't reading them correctly. I put the pattern down for awhile and started back in July. I saw a woman at a festival who was had made the purse. It was beautiful and I was inspired again. I have sewed the owls, squares and triangles together and it fit perfectly. I wanted to sew a lining in before I sewed it together. Do u have any suggestions on how to do this? Rhonda

Marken  August 2, 2013 7:13 AM

Hi Rhonda -
I am so glad to hear you have finished this tote! What good news! As for a liner, that's a good question. I was able to get mine done beautifully, but that is only because I have a friend that is an expert seamstress. Me, I cannot sew for beans. However, because the shape is square, it didn't seem too difficult. I remember she used interfacing to give the pockets stability (3 pockets along one side) and then added ribbon to the edge of the pockets. Very sorry I can't be more help with this, but I watched in complete amazement as my tote was transformed. :o) Marken

rhoho221079689 on craftsy.com
rhoho221079689  August 2, 2013 4:42 PM

Ok thank you, tell your friend she needs to do a lining on YouTube on how to line a crocheted purse. :) I do have friends who can help me.
This is the hardest project I have ever attempted but it turned out beautifully.

Marken  August 4, 2013 10:20 AM

It's good to have friends that sew! So glad your tote has turned out...add a liner, and it will be over-the-top! :o)

shellbee0303 on craftsy.com
shellbee0303  July 11, 2013 9:46 AM

This is the cutest thing I have seen in a while! :) I'm gonna have to order this pattern. :))

Marken  July 12, 2013 1:35 PM

Thank you! :o)

Meg4Christ on craftsy.com
Meg4Christ  July 10, 2013 0:54 PM

The ladies at my church are making market bags to sell so that we can support the effort of a family in Alberta, Canada, who is fostering as many native children as they can who have been removed from their homes on the reserve. These children have been removed due to abuse and neglect, and many of them are dealing with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome as well. All the money we get for our bags will go directly to this family. NO MONEY will go to our church or our ladies who worked to make the bags. All our time and materials are our donation. The cost of living in northern Alberta, near the Indian reserves, is very high and they need many diapers and formula, etc.

Would you be willing to let us sell bags made from your patterns for the Owl Tote'em Pattern in the interest of helping this family also? If you would like to donate the pattern to us, that would be greatly appreciated. But if not, we are willing to pay for it. We are more than willing to credit you for the pattern/design on all items for sale however you would desire. Thank you for your consideration. Please respond to me at my email at megcwheeler(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Hopefully,
Meg Wheeler

Marken  July 10, 2013 6:14 PM

Hi Meg -

Thank you for contacting me. I will send a message to your email address.

:o) Marken

raggz2bagg59022 on craftsy.com
raggz2bagg59022  April 6, 2013 3:03 AM

I love this bag! The owls are so very adorable! The photos and written data on you pattern is so complete I doubt I will have any problems making the bag.

Marken  April 7, 2013 7:00 AM

I hope it turns out just perfectly for you! Happy Hooking! :o)

ceetxgal on craftsy.com
ceetxgal  March 21, 2013 6:20 PM

This is just too cute! How creative you are to think of this. I am going to have to make myself one. Thank you.

TouchetCrochet on craftsy.com
TouchetCrochet  February 19, 2013 2:31 AM

Love this - so cute

Peachpearplum on craftsy.com
Peachpearplum  January 23, 2013 1:23 AM

Thanks for making this beautiful pattern:)

rsmcguire59 on craftsy.com
rsmcguire59  October 24, 2013 10:13 PM

OMG!!! this pattern is so adorable. I just love it. I also saw the owl baby blanket and loved it as well. I have a niece whoo!!! is addicted to owls and she will love this tote bag. I was wondering if there is a book that has these both patterns in to purchase since they are similar or do i have to purchase each one separately? Are you the owner of this pattern? Thanx Marken
Rebecca

Marken  October 25, 2013 9:17 AM

Hi Rebecca -
So glad you like! Yes, I am the owner of this pattern (Marken of The Hat & I). I do not have a combo listing for both patterns, sorry about that. Maybe just buy one and see how you like it?
:o) Marken

rsmcguire59 on craftsy.com
rsmcguire59  October 25, 2013 4:07 PM

yes i do plan on buying both of the patterns. Need to know which is the best place to order the pdf file? I saw info on 3 different sites for the owl tote pattern. Here, the etsy shop and raverly.
thanx
Rebecca

Marken  October 26, 2013 8:38 AM

Yes, I have my patterns listed here on Craftsy, Etsy, and Ravelry. PDF is the same here or there. You choose! :o)

rsmcguire59 on craftsy.com
rsmcguire59  October 27, 2013 9:02 AM

awesome!!!! thanx Marken

dana1250 on craftsy.com
dana1250  February 11, 2013 2:25 PM

This is adorable! I am so glad I found this web site!!

debdunning on craftsy.com
debdunning  December 3, 2012 6:58 AM

I LOVE THE LOOK OF THIS BAG! I can't wait to purchase and get started! I've been on kinda of a "bag" kick lately. I'm so glad that I found this pattern. Thank you for your beautiful work!

Marken  December 4, 2012 4:08 PM

Thank you for this message....just made my day! I hope your bag turns out beautifully. :o)

stellamia on craftsy.com
stellamia  November 3, 2012 5:22 AM

I love this bag and though I'm a knitter, I can crochet a little and think/hope I can make it, it's adorable!

Marken  November 8, 2012 10:21 AM

I sure hope it all works out for you! I am happy to help if you ever have any questions. Email: thehatandi@yahoo.com

Leahygurl on craftsy.com
Leahygurl  October 19, 2012 5:59 PM

Just finished making this! This pattern was pretty easy to follow, even for a beginner like me. I had a couple of issues with where to do some of the stitches but it worked out as long as I had the right stitch count. :) I can't wait to start using this bag!

Marken  October 23, 2012 1:44 PM

I am so glad you finished! Yay! I would love to see a picture! :o)

Leahygurl on craftsy.com
Leahygurl  November 7, 2012 9:31 PM

I'll see if I can email it to you in the next couple of days. :)

Marken  October 14, 2012 4:59 PM

For pattern support, please contact me directly: thehatandi@yahoo.com

Thank you!
:o) Marken

pammcdani986840 on craftsy.com
pammcdani986840  October 13, 2012 1:28 PM

Hello,
Considering purchasing this pattern, but haven't crocheted, since i made an afghan with my grandmother 20 years ago. I am a crafty person, but in reading the threads above, I am conerened that i won'tknow what to do or what the acromyns stand for. YOU say in your Description that a persistent beginner could follow it. Do you ahve explanations for the terms used?

Pam

Marken  October 14, 2012 4:40 PM

Hi Pam! With all my patterns, I include a list of the acronyms used and what they stand for. Also, for any unusual stitches, such as dc2tog, those are explained in writing as well as with pictures. The most difficult part with a pattern like this is simply counting your stitches correctly, working in the round, knowing where to put your hook, and following the directions because the pattern is not forgiving. I do feel a dedicated beginner could manage this because I have included so many photos...you can check your work as you go along. However, you must be comfortable with the basics first because this is not a how-to-crochet pattern. If you want to email me with any questions, please do so: thehatandi@yahoo.com

pernilla953288 on craftsy.com
pernilla953288  October 1, 2012 6:11 AM

I love it and bought the pattern but have some problems. On row 6 there should be 21 rev sc and 10 stitches not worked. Since the last row (5) consists of 52 dc there will be only 8 stitches not worked if you follow the pattern (9 if you count the dc where you start which is not a rev sc). I am guessing this might be the reason the rest doesn't work out so well. The other problem is that the owl is not positioned correct within the octagon. On round 2a the pattern says to make 4 hdc in the first ch-2 space and then 3 hdc into each of the next 12 spaces, 4 hdc in two spaces and then 3 hdc in the next 12 spaces that would mean 27 ch-2 and the correct number is 26. If I only make 3 hdc in the first 12, two 4 hdc followed by 3 hdc in the last 12 it makes sense. Any tips on what could be wrong that makes the owl to not be centered? What can I do to make round 6 to work out correct?

Marken  October 5, 2012 0:47 PM

Hello! One small mistake & the whole thing will be off. Let's start with Round 6 because that is the spot that is getting mis-counted. You are working into the 52 dc from the previous round. Once you have 21 rev sc in TOTAL you will have used 42 sts, leaving 10 sts not worked. Let's count: first stitch is a ch-1, next st is a rev sc (2 sts used), next we skip 1 st, then rev sc in the next (2 more sts used)....we continue in this manner until our TOTAL rev sc sts reach 21 sts. This will account for 42 sts worked, leaving 10 'open' for the next step. I believe, if you count your rev sc you will find you have worked 22 rev sc, and that left you with 8 sts not worked, rather than the 10 needed.

Once this round is re-worked, the rest will fall into place and your owl will sit centered in the octagon. However, if you ever have any questions, please send me an email: thehatandi@yahoo.com

:o) Marken

Marken  October 5, 2012 1:04 PM

I forgot to mention Round 2a....sorry! You have added an extra 4 hdc for that round. The pattern says "4 hdc into next ch-2 sp" not "4 hdc into next 2 ch-2 spaces". That would account for the 'extra' chain space you think is needed. You only need 26 chain spaces (4 hdc into the first, 3 hdc into the next 12, 4 hdc into the next, 3 hdc into the next 12).

I really hope that helps!

Northangel on craftsy.com
Northangel  August 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Quick question, could you give me a guesstimate on how much time it took you to complete this and approximately how much yarn? I am thinking of purchasing the pattern to make a blanket instead of a tote bag and was just curious as to the cost involved before I do. I appreicate any help you can give me :)

Marken  August 31, 2012 1:54 PM

Gosh, I didn't see your message/question until today. So sorry! Time to complete: 10 - 15 hours for me. I am probably a bit slow though. Yarn 337 g / 12 oz TOTAL. I used worsted weight cotton yarn. All the colorful bits used up 'leftover' yarn while the brown used 2 skeins. Hope that helps some! :o) Marken

Northangel on craftsy.com
Northangel  September 16, 2012 9:45 AM

Not a problem :) I went ahead and just jumped right in and then had to make a yarn run (just about broke my heart you know lol) I used your pattern to make a gorgeous crib blanket for a dear friend of mine. I love the pattern, very easy to follow. My only issue was I had to sew on the eyes and beaks since the blanket is a definite wash item :) Thank you again for such a wonderful cute pattern!

all4mykids04 on craftsy.com
all4mykids04  September 25, 2012 7:36 AM

It is really cute!!!! I saw it on Etsy and fell in love with it!!!

pammcdani986840 on craftsy.com
pammcdani986840  October 13, 2012 1:26 PM

Hello,

Pam

Lynn40 on craftsy.com
Lynn40  August 30, 2012 11:22 AM

This is just adorable!!! It would be a great gift for my niece.

mainelyamama on craftsy.com
mainelyamama  September 18, 2012 2:08 PM

I was wondering if you could tell me what stitches are used in this tote? I just want to make sure that I can do them all before I purchase this pattern. I wouldn't consider myself a beginner but I am self taught. Thank you in advance!

Marken  September 25, 2012 10:58 AM

Hello! Sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. For some reason, I am not getting notifications for comments posted here. Stitches used: ch, sl st, sc, hdc, dc, rev sc, dc2tog

I do explain the rev sc and dc2tog. However, the stitches aren't the tricky part. Knowing how to work in the round and and being able to 'see' your stitches is a must. Biggest mistake is simply not counting the stitches correctly and/or working into the wrong stitch(es).

Hope that helps! :o) Marken

Mallaurie on craftsy.com
Mallaurie  September 20, 2012 10:33 AM

I just purchased your pattern and am really excited about getting started!!! I love that you have a bajillon photos. ^.^

Owl Tote'em Pattern