There’s Still Time to Submit Your #MyCraftsySelfie for a Chance to Win!
Wow! We are so impressed with all of the amazing entries we’ve received so far in our first ever #MyCraftsySelfie Self-Portrait Contest! If you haven’t submitted your fine art selfie (aka self-portrait) yet, it’s not too late to join in on the fun!
Share your best self-portrait today for a chance to WIN!
To enter, simply upload your self-portrait in our Projects Gallery, and be sure to title the project “#MyCraftsySelfie” so we know it’s a contest submission.
The deadline to enter is June 30, 2014 at 11:59 pm MT. We’ll reveal the top entries, including the winner, right here on the Craftsy blog on July 2. The 1st place winner will be awarded a $50 gift card for Dick Blick Fine Art Materials and a FREE Craftsy drawing or painting class of their choice!
Portraits not turning out as you’d like? Craftsy can help!
Get our FREE downloadable primer Drawing the Human Face, which features helpful tips and tutorials for sharpening your portrait drawing skills.
If you’re looking for more in-depth, personalized guidance, check out the Craftsy class The Classic Self-Portrait, taught by expert painter Kerry Dunn. He’ll show you how to harness light, value, technique & oil paints to bring an impressively realistic self-portrait to life.
Some fun facts about selfies:
Parmigianino self-portrait via Wikipedia Commons
- One of the first known self-portraits was painted in 1524 by Italian artist Parmigianino (“the little one from Parma”), who painted himself using a barber’s mirror.
- Van Gogh painted 37 self-portraits.
- The term “selfie” was first coined in Australia in 2002.
- In 2010, one of Andy Warhol’s self-portraits sold for $32.6 million.
- For Earth Day 2014, NASA asked people to take answer where on Earth they were by taking a selfie and sharing it on social media. They then used the 36,422 images shared to create a #GlobalSelfie mosaic resembling the planet.