Craftsy Crush: Men Who Love to Knit

Posted by on Nov 2, 2013 in Knitting | Comments

It’s not often that you see a man at your stitch group or in your local yarn store. But when that stitch-lovin’ man appears, us female knitters go crazy for him, and we realize that, yes, knitting is for men, too. We want to know how he learned to knit, how long he’s been knitting, what he’s making right now. Did his mother teach him to knit? His grandmother? Tell us everything!

In honor of Movember, we’re celebrating Craftsy’s male knitters!

Stephan West Knitting a Scarf on Craftsy

Stephan West knits one of his famous shawls in Shawlscapes

Stephen West teachers our Shawlscapes class – a must for shawl lovers interested in designing their own unique shawls. Stephen shows students how to get the exact angle and drape they want in their shawls, plus the tools students will need to design their own. A designer for Malabrigo Yarn and Knitty.com, Stephen is an inspiration for male (and female) knitters everywhere.

Have you looked at projects from Franklin Habit‘s Heirloom Lace Edgings class? Talk about some gorgeous knitting! Franklin’s love of knitting translates into other creative parts of his life, too. He’s the author of It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons (Interweave Press, 2008) and runs popular knitting blog The Panopticon.

Alasdair Post-Quinn has been knitting for over a decade and is one of Craftsy’s expert double knitters. Alasdair teaches Adventures in Double Knitting. He’s also the author of Extreme Double Knitting: New Adventures in Reversible Colorwork, the ultimate reference for anyone who wants to learn the no-wrong-side knitting technique.

Guy Knitters

While the knitting market is definitely dominated by female-targeted patterns and products, there are a few things out there for dudes. Guy Knits, for example, is a book with 28 projects geared toward the manly knitter. (Also a good buy for us lady knitters who want to knit something special for the men in our lives.)

Knitting patterns for men

The Craftsy pattern store has plenty to offer men who want to knit something for themselves. Get inspired by these patterns and knit yourself (or the man in your life) something.

Sweater Pattern

Recto Verso Sweater

This unique seamless pattern  by alfa knits has no wrong side. It can be worn inside out, backwards — there’s no wrong way to wear it.

Get the pattern here.

Gloves

Darting Diagonals Fingerless Gloves

This one-skein project by Elena Rosenberg Wearable Fiber Art includes sizes for both men and women, in case you want to knit up multiple pairs as gifts. An advanced beginner could tackle this project easily. I love the unique diagonal stitching on the gloves!

Get the pattern here.

Scarf

Breckenridge Scarf

New to knitting? If you can knit and purl, this scarf  by Lori Thompson Design will be no problem.

Get the pattern here.

Are you a man who’s interested in knitting but don’t know where to start? Learn to knit the basics with Stefanie Japel’s Knit Lab class and start out with simple projects like scarves.

Craving even more male knitting power? Read Kathy Mancall’s blog post Men Are Knitting It For Themselves, where she explains how Craftsy men are knitting and redefining the idea of the male maker.

In an effort to raise awareness and spark conversation about men’s health issues, join Craftsy in making November “Movember Crafting Month” by sharing the projects you’ve made for an important man in your life. Learn more here.

Are you a man who knits, or do you know a man who knits? We want to hear all about him!

Comments

1. My father taught me to knit. He was a sailor in his younger days and it was commonplace for sailors to knit. Dad taught me to knit when I was 7 years old and I’m so glad he did. It is a relaxing and satisfying hobby.

2. Ted says:

I’m a male knitter. I learned from a friend that I work with at one of the local Renaissance Festivals. I’ve been knitting for about 2 and a half years. I love that we are spotlighting the guys for Movember. My only disappointment with knitting, is that “guy” patterns are so run of the mill. When I search for men’s patterns I get almost nothing but hats, gloves, and scarves. The sweaters out there are all basically the same thing. Although, I have recent found some of Stephen West, and Matthew Gnagy’s patterns that I’m excited to tackle my first sweater.

3. Jan says:

I taught myself to knit after I watched my mom knitting. I am left handed so she found it difficult showing me, but watching her from the opposite side I learnt my own way. That was 30 years ago! I enjoy the relaxing feeling I get when just slipping the stitches through my fingers. I don’t really knit for myself as I live in a warm climate, so family and friends get the benefit of my work. I love craftsy, and I have learnt so much from the lessons. Great work!

4. Amber says:

Hi! Have you checked out designer Jared Flood and/or the Brooklyn Tweed patterns for men? The Brooklyn Tweed Men’s catalog just came out in July and all the sweater patterns in there are drool worthy; Jared’s cable work is amazing. The best part is that it is only Volume 1 so there will be more goodness to come! You should check it out! Hope this helps :)

5. Greg says:

I’m a dude who knits. I learned how to knit last year after my daughter was born. She was 2.5 months early and spent 5 weeks in the NICU before she was able to come home. During that time, we received a few hand-knitted and -crocheted preemie hats that had been donated to the hospital. Looking at those hats, I figured that was something I could learn to do to help pass the time were spending at the hospital, as well as create something that would be helpful to my little girl. I got my mother-in-law to teach me the basics, and hit up Craftsy and YouTube to keep me going. I love it! So glad I learned how to knit! It really is fun to drop in on a knitting group; everyone instantly loves having a dude around. Going into a LYS is also a trip, especially if I go with my wife. Watching the folks at the shop slowly realize that I’m the knitter in the couple is always entertaining.

Feel free to check out my blog at knittingdaddy.com if you’re inclined to read more details about my Knitting Origin Story. Thanks for featuring spots on men who knit this month!

-g

1. Ashley says:

Thanks so much for sharing, Greg! Such a sweet story. I promise not to make any quick judgments next time I see a man in the yarn shop. :)

1. Greg says:

:) My experience with the few men who knit that I know is that we all find a bit of enjoyment at being the “odd duck” in a knitting group or at the LYS. There are so few of us, it’s easy to assume we’re either with our wives, or shopping for them…..