Crazy for Glue: How to Use Glue in Quilting

Posted by on Nov 26, 2013 in Quilting | Comments

Quilts and glue can easily go hand in hand. As odd as that may sound, glue can truly be a quilter’s best friend! To some quilters, this is not a novel concept at all. To others, this sounds downright crazy! Let’s take a look at glue and how it can be a great benefit to those of us who love to sew and quilt.

For a refresher on quilting basics, no matter what your skill level is, check out Craftsy’s FREE mini-class Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Skills with Gail Kessler. Included with enrollment are 10 HD video lessons plus four quilt patterns and the skills to turn them into quilts that will be treasured for years to come.

Elmer's Glue Bottles - How to Use Glue in Quilting

When I say glue, I mean exactly what you think. There are a variety of glues that can be used to help with the sewing process.

Elmer’s washable school glue is vastly popular with quilters. This can be in liquid form or glue stick; they both work well for a variety of techniques. Specific quilting and sewing glues can be purchased in local quilt stores and online. Adhesive sprays are another type of glue that can be used for quilting, and many like to baste their quilts with spray rather than pins.

Wondering how you can use glue in your quilting and sewing? Here are a few of the many ways:

1. Binding

Most quilters appear to have either a love or hate relationship with binding. Glue can make this process a bit easier for both hand and machine binders. Need a tutorial? Sharon Schamber has a series of video tutorials on binding a quilt with glue that is extremely popular. Both machine and hand binders will find her techniques helpful.

2. Precision piecing

Seams of all types can benefit from a bit of glue. When liquid glue is applied to the seam allowance, seams can be matched in a nearly perfect manner before they are sewn together. This prevents all shifting. If you are having trouble with complex blocks, glue can help keep those seams neat and precise. Cristy Fincher, who is Sharon Schamber’s daughter, shares a helpful video tutorial on how to precision piece with glue.

3. Hemming

Quickly hem clothing by gluing fabric in place rather than pinning.

4. Appliqué

A touch of glue makes appliquéing nice and easy. When appliqués are glued to the background fabric, there is little or no shifting during the sewing process. An added benefit? No pins to sew around!

5. Basting

Do you like to spray baste your quilts? Adhesive spray can be rather costly. Check out California Quilting‘s tutorial on how to baste an entire quilt with Elmer’s Glue!

6. English paper piecing

Rather than using a needle and thread, fine-point glue pens can be used to hold the fabric in place for English paper piecing. Read more about it in Sue Daley’s glue pen tutorial.

Are you ready to give glue a try? Keep these helpful tips in mind!

• When using Elmer’s washable glue, set the glue with a hot dry iron before sewing. Just a couple seconds of pressing dries the glue and prepares it for sewing.
  • Many quilters claim that the glue does not “gunk up” their sewing needles. If you are worried that this may be an issue, be sure to carefully apply the glue in the seam allowance only.
  • A little bit of glue goes a long way! Dots of glue spread, so lines are not always necessary.
  • Always be sure that the glue you are using is washable.

What do you think about quilting with glue? What is your preference: pins or glue?

Comments

1. When you say Elmers School Glue is washable, does that mean it stays in or washes out?
    Thanks,
    Sally

1. Toni Reimer says:

The glue washes out

2. Debra Neiman says:

What a great group of ideas. Thanks so much.

3. Adelle says:

I have tried all of those methods with great success. The glue makes so many steps of the quilting process easier and less frustrating. I have also tested using watered down washable elmers as a spray baste, it works but takes way too much ironing to set it.

4. Vicki Richardson says:

I did just try this for the first time with Elmers glue stick and EPP. It gummed my sewing needle up like no other. My hands had residue, and my needle was hard to pull through the fabric. I used just a thin line and wasted no time. Don’t know what I did wrong.
    Thanks,
    Vicki

1. Toni Reimer says:

You just need a few drops of glue you can even try a toothpick to place the glue on the fabric then iron it so it dries quickly

5. love the idea, I think it will be easier, thanks for the share

6. niki says:

A friend gave me the tip of basting quilts with glue sticks. She just dabs the glue stick all over her tops and presses them into the batting. Then does the same with the backing.

7. spaghettimom says:

This sounds great- can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the info!

8. Diane Turley says:

Several years ago I made a puzzle quilt for my grandson and it worked out (gluestick) like a charm

9. Dianne Mills says:

I have used fabric glue to hold the strips together when I am sewing the binding together at an angle. Worked great.

10. Sandra Fowle says:

I use Pritt Stick for securing my zips in place before sewing them, rather than the fighting with pins! It works really well and saves so much fiddling. Put the glue on the zip edge, rather than the fabric it works a treat.

11. L3 Lenora Brown says:

I have use glue sticks for years,

12. Barb says:

I have used glue sticks for years in my hand quilting. I use a dot of glue to center an applique piece on the fabric and small dots of glue to fold the applique fabric around the template. Presently I am hand piecing a king size seven sister’s quilt using the English paper piecing method. I tried ironing the folded edges of the template to my freezer paper templates, but with all the handling it doesn’t hold well enough. A couple dots of glue on the fabric and the diamonds are perfect. Every point is also perfect. I wouldn’t have attempted this pattern with out the glue. I prefer glue sticks because they seem to dry faster.