Everything You Need to Know About Using Fondant Molds

There are so many wonderful impression mats and molds available to cake decorators and designers. From butterflies and leaves, borders and waves, to pearls and alphabets, there is something for every cake theme. Fondant molds are wonderful time-savers and a boon for anyone who is just becoming familiar with the basic fondant techniques. They’re not foolproof though.

Fondant Mold and Fondant Leaves

Shop Fun Fondant Molds on Craftsy!

silicone bow mold

Find silicone molds for fondant in lots of fun shapes, at the right price, right here on Craftsy.Shop fondant molds now »

If you’ve ever tried and failed to get the fondant in or out of silicone molds, these simple tips and tricks should help you be master of the mold!

When you're learning how to work with fondant (and even if you're a seasoned pro!) it's important to find the right materials to work with, and molds are no exception. Some molds are extremely easy to use. Push a little fondant in, pop a little button or bow out. But other molds take some getting used to and just a bit of know-how. Borders like the one seen below in the orange Wilton mold are perfect for castle crenelations, and the small shape second from the left makes a cute little tiara for a princess figure.

Dusting the Mold with Cornstartch

Step 1:

Dust the mold with a little cornstarch and tap out the excess.

Easing Fondant into the Mold

Step 2:

Start with a sausage of fondant and begin easing it into the mold. Keep the fingers of both hands dusted with cornstarch so that the fondant stays in the mold and doesn’t stick to your hands. I always prefer to use Wilton fondant, as it’s firm and keeps its shape well once removed from the mold.

Pressing Fondant into the Mold

Pinching Fondant for Easier Insertion

Step 3:

Press with the fingers of your left hand, while continuing to pinch and smooth the fondant into the mold with the fingers or your right hand, working from left to right.

Step 4:

Once the mold is full of fondant, use a cornstarch-dusted rolling pin to roll over the shape and press it firmly into the mold. Dusting the rolling pin ensures the fondant doesn’t stick and lift out of the mold.

Cutting Away Excess Fondant

Step 5:

Take a clean, dry, sharp knife and dust it with cornstarch. Lay the blade flat on the surface of the mold and carefully cut away the excess fondant, using a gentle sawing action. For large molds like this, it’s sometimes worth stopping halfway through to clean, dry and dust the blade again.

Fondant with Smooth Edges, in Mold

Step 6:

Cutting off the excess fondant will likely leave a few rough edges. Dust your fingers with cornstarch and rub all the edges to smooth them.

Rolling Fondant Mold Away from Piece of Fondant

Step 7:

Bend the mold back on itself and the fondant should fall out. It might be necessary to ease it out at first with the end of a knife. If the fondant will not turn out, leave it in the mold for a few minutes and try again.

Molded Fondant

Use the same method for smaller, more intricate molds like these from Martha Stewart.

Collage of Molding Steps to Create Fondant Leaves

You may prefer to use fondant that has been stiffened with Tylose powder, and you might have more success pressing the fondant into the mold if you don’t dust it first. Keep your fingers dusted, however, as you press. Remember to keep your knife clean and dry as you cut off the excess. If your knife blade becomes sticky, it will lift the fondant out of the mold as you slice.

Fondant Mold and Completed Fondant Leaves

There are some molds, like Martha Stewart’s Alphabet, that are just too intricate to be used in this way. Add one extra step and the fondant will turn out easily without distorting or breaking.

Fondant in an Alphabet Mold: Creating a Fondant Letter

Step 1:

Dust the mold with cornstarch, press in the fondant, slice off the excess using the steps above. Tidy up the cut edges with your finger as before.

Fondant in Alphabet Mold

Sometimes you might find with very intricate molds like this, you are left with small holes in the fondant like in the top of the letter S.

Filling Holes in Fondant in Smaller Mold

These can be filled with a little extra fondant, and then the excess cut away once more.

Fondant in Mold Cooling in Freezer

Step 2:

Place the mold in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fondant is frozen solid.

Removing Fondant From Alphabet Mold

Step 3:

Working quickly, bend the mold and ease the letters out. Some of them will need help releasing from their cavities. If the letters start to become misshapen as you remove them, put the mold back in the freezer for 5 minutes and try again.

Measuring Fondant Letters Spelling "Craftsy"

Step 4:

The frozen letters will be wet and sticky as they thaw, so don’t touch them. Depending on the type of fondant you’ve used and the humidity in the air, they should be dry to the touch within 10 to 30 minutes. Let them dry fully before transferring them to the cake so they don’t become misshapen as you arrange them.

To help you center the letters on the cake, arrange them on your mat and measure the finished word or message. This should help you determine how much space you need to leave on either side.

Shop Fun Fondant Molds on Craftsy!

silicone bow mold

Michelle

Excellent tips, thank you very much! The cornstarch and freezing are both very helpful!

Claudia

The information given and the presentation was excellent! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to more posts from you!

teresa

excellent tip i have tryed and tryed but alway get it wrong now i know thx u

Stacie

Thank you for the tip about freezing the molds. I never thought of doing that!

Terri

Thanks so much for the tips! I just bought the Martha Stewart mold and was a little worried about how to pop those delicate letters out. 🙂

Bruce Harrison Andrews

FANTASTIC! Thank You for the tip! You guys ROCK!!!!

Jennifer Lovejoy

I bought the mould with multiple paisley patterns ,after watching Mather Stewart video,I really enjoyed making all the different shapes in the mould.
Great video.
Jennifer Lovejoy

Tia Delao

That darn letter mold was exactly why I had to look this up. Thank you! You rock my world!

Janine

brilliant advice. Tried using for first time and ruined the fondant and doing a wedding cake so I need it perfect thank you.

Karen

Great advice, as always! I find it helpful to use plastic wrap to press the fondant into the mold. It doesn’t stick to the fondant and reduces the need for the cornstarch. Just my two cents!

milagros

thanks for this post! How do you wash them? I have some and I washed it with soap and water and now thew are awful to work with.

Lesley

That’s odd! You should just be able to wash with dish soap and water… Have you dusted them with corn starch before using them? I’m sorry I can’t help you further – I normally just rinse mine in hot water.

sandra

Fab info, I have lots of these moulds, sometimes works sometimes not, will try the cornstarch and the freezing methods, many thanks

Janice Walker

Hi

Excellent tutorial. Off to see if it works!

Cheers

Janice

Kelly McMurray

Great tutorial! I’ve had trouble with silicone molds before but not now! Thank you

Sara Milliken

Am a beginner and have many questions and read lots of info to learn what I can. I am working with polymer clay and wonder if this method and these molds would work well with this excellent lesson ?

david mc connell

sir/madam I am building a 1/8th type gypsy bow caravan which are heavily scrolled. would your cake moulds suit resin being poured into them? David

Lesley

These are not my moulds – they are intended for food use. I have never used resin so have no idea how hot that gets. The best suggestion I have is to check the packaging in the craft store and see if there is any temperature limit given.

Prerana Fatnani

How do we use these moulds to maake borders on cakes….as I always end up having to hide the joint with some embellishments. ..how do u fuse it to look like one long peice…

Lesley Wright

I just roll a long sausage of fondant and then take out what I’ve molded and move it along, leaving the last molded bit in the left hand side of the mold. Then I continue to mold using the same long sausage and never cut it or break if off until I have the length I need.

antoinette sam

i need tutorials on how to use rose flower silicone mold.

Zarina

Thank you so much for sharing. So beautifully presented Being an strut was able to grasp. Will somehow try it this time!

Zarina

Thank you so much for sharing. So beautifully presented Being an amateur was able to grasp. Will somehow try it this time!

Ella

I far ahead of time can I make the molded fondant shapes before I put them on the cake? I am trying to plan out my work. I have always put the fondant onto the iced cake soon after making them. Thank you!

Lesley Wright

As long as you like. The fondant will dry and become hard, but won’t spoil. If you want to keep the pieces ‘fresh’, as though you just made them, you can freeze them. Remove them from the freezer an hour or so before you want to use them, lay them on some parchment or wax paper and allow them to thaw without touching them. When the condensation dries, you can handle them and apply them to the cake. However, if you want to make elements ahead that need to keep their shape, you can make them many days, or even weeks ahead. Don’t store them in an airtight container, as this might cause them to go limp. If you have a cardboard box or something similar, that is a preferable method for keeping dust off while they dry.