Quilting for Charity

Through their generosity, quilters have donated countless handmade blankets to support charity projects and individuals in need. Quilting for charity is a beautiful way to give back to the community, while still practicing the art of patchwork and growing your skills.

We’ve been inspired by the charity quilting projects shared by some members of the online quilting community!

Quilt with Bookshelf Design, Featuring Books, Owl and More

Craftsy member Jennifer O. led a quilt-along for her Project of Doom quilt, based on a Harry Potter mystery quilt series. She then raffled off the quilt, earning almost $800 in individual donations for her favorite charity, the Linus Connection, which provides security blankets to children in crisis. This just goes to show that creativity and a little teamwork can really make a great impact when it comes to quilting for charity.

Collage of Quilting and Knitting Projects

Melissa Smith makes small quilts and blankets for a friend’s charity, Jack’s Day, which provides memory boxes to families that have lost a baby. “Since they are for tiny babies, they are small quilts, sometimes no bigger than fat quarters,” Melissa says, adding “every baby deserves their own quilt. It’s not only a good cause, but a good chance to try out new techniques and blocks on a small scale.” Volunteers sort the donated items and pair them with teddy bears, photo frames, knit booties and other mementos for families to treasure, helping them during a devastating time.

Quilt Featuring Purple, White and Patterned Blocks

Kelly at Sew Crafty Cat began quilting in college when she made a simple quilt pieced from squares. When she read about Downy’s Touch of Comfort program, which provides quilts to children in hospitals, she ordered a free charity quilting kit from Downy and got to work! “This is the first time I pieced a quilt and machine quilted it,” she says. “I hope this has put a smile on a child’s face and provides some comfort!”

Dozens of Quilts Hanging on Railings

Bobi Lemon loves working on charity quilting projects with her quilt club, Loose Thread Quilters of Peebles, Ohio. “We make quilts for the children’s home each year, and last year we made 50 quilts for the kids,” Bobi says. “The kids get to pick out their quilt and keep it when they get their forever family or move to a foster home.”

Charity quilting resources

If you are interested in quilting for charity, there are a number of great organizations you can connect with online and in your local community. We also invite you to peruse and download Craftsy’s free quilting patterns to help you get started on your next charity quilting project!

View of Folded Quilts

Finished “do. Good Stitches” quilt by Flickr member TipToeTango

• do. Good Stitches: This modern charity bee offers a great way to connect with other quilters online and do good in the community. The group accepts new members as there is enough interest to fill current “circles” or start a new one. You can sign up to be a quilter, or you can simply to make and mail blocks to the quilter for that month.
  • Project Linus: A charity quilting organization that began in 1998, Project Linus is supported by quilters donating handmade blankets to children in need. Why not donate a quilt to a local chapter or get together with your quilting guild and host a quilt drive?
  • Quilts of Valor: If you want to support servicemen and servicewomen returning home from active duty, consider joining the efforts of Quilts of Valor. Formed in 2003, this group accepts quilt tops and volunteer longarm quilters interested in serving their cause.
  • 100 Quilts for Kids: This annual charity quilt-along is hosted each fall by the D.C. Modern Quilt Guild. Considering donating a quilt to one of several charities, such as Margaret’s Hope Chest or Bumble Beans Basics, and you can enter a photo of your donated quilt. In 2013, nearly 200 quilts were donated through this charity quilting drive!

Do you participate in any charity quilting projects? What are some of your favorite organizations to support?

Christine Knox

I have begun a charity quilt project called Mito Quilts of Hope. This is for patients both adults and children who have Mitochondrial Disease. There is no cure and treatment consists of a vitamin cocktail. many die from it at an early age. I would like to bring awareness to this disease and provide awareness too.

Becca

I have been making and donating quilts for Quilts for Kids for over a year now. Last year I created four quilts, this year I’ve finished and turned in six. I’ve also managed to get a couple friends to help with the making. I’ve already got another one almost finished. I love the process of creating these small symbols of comfort. Getting together with the wonderful members of the local Quilts for Kids also provides a great way to meet other quilters while making a difference in a child’s life.

cars 2

They made automobile industry much more fun and
exciting. As an added tip, doing License tests also counts as
a race day, but takes a lot shorter real time. Breakdown coverage, or
roadside assistance coverage as it is sometimes called, is more important for a classic
car owner than for other motorists for a couple of reasons.

Angie

I am working on lap quilts for low income seniors in the Salt Lake City area and could use fabric donations or quilt donations. Our goal is 200 by Christmas 2015. Please reply if you would like to help. :)

Becki

Hi Angie! My mother recently passed away and was an avid quilter. I may have some supplies to donate for your senior quilts. I am only in town for a couple weeks. Please let me know if you are still in need.

Judi Short

I have fabric. I am a quilter but am involved in too many things right now, and only get one or two quilts done a year. I have a lot of quilting fabric, some of which I will never use. Are you still making quilts for seniors? I don’t have time to quilt, but can give you some fabric. Maybe you are still doing this for Christmas of 2016?? Thanks.

Ruthann

I have made Quilts of Valor in the past. Currently I make comfort quilts for Quilt for Kid organization. There is a chapter in So. Eastern Mass who meet every Thurs night

Jean

My friend and I started “Quilt it Forward” last year. We invite quilters to make a block of our choosing, then we assemble them into a quilt and donate it to a charity for raffle. Our first quilt made $700 for our local food bank. We’re now working on quilt #3 and loving the process. A great way to do what you love, meet new quilters and do something positive for our community!

JUDE

SOME TIME AGO QUILTERS FROM ALL OVER MADE QUILTS TO SEND TO AUSTRALIA WHEN THEY HAD DEVISTATING FIRES…MAYBE MANY OF US COULD MAKE QUILTS FOR THE PEOPLE IN CALIFORNIA WHO HAVE LOST HOMES, BUSINESS AND WHOLE TOWNS FROM FIRES THIS YEAR. I WILL BE MAKING SOME INSTEAD OF MY USUAL CHARITY QUILTS WHICH GO TO OUR LOCAL TREE OF JOY AT CHRISTMAS TIME, THE LOCAL WOMAN’S SHELTER AND THE VA IN ROSSBURG, OREGON. I WILL TRY TO GET IN CONTACT WITH SOME QUILT SHOPS OR GUILDS IN THOSE AREA TO SEE WHERE TO SEND THE QUILTS.

~Deb

Great post…Thanks! ‘Miss Betty & I’ have quilted for several charitable projects, including Quilts Beyond Borders and Quilts of Valor – both incredibly rewarding experiences we can highly recommend 😉

Quilt ON!
~Deb

“It’s not a quilt ’til it’s quilted…!”

Barb Reyer

I’m looking for quilts for 16 seniors in our small facility, and would appreciate any assistance how to go about this. I had a contact and lost all my paperwork. So if you can help me I would appreciate this.
Thank-you. Barb

Jennifer Bommentre

Barb,

I have two pieced tops that I may be able to finish off and send. Probably lap quilt size, but I’m not sure how fast I can finish them.

Are you still in need and how fast do you need them?

Thanks, Jenn

Penny Reeve

Snuggled in Hope Quilts is a group of volunteers that makes and donates quilts for children who attend Flying Horse Farms’ 7 seasonal camp sessions. These children, ages 8-15, have been diagnosed with specific illnesses, and attend camp free of charge. There aren’t other camps that they can attend. Located in north central Ohio, it is part of the Paul Newman’s Serious Fun Children’s Network of camps, which are world wide.. It is a non-profit organization, raising all the funds for the camp to run, so we receive no financial assistance from them.
Doctors and nurses volunteer their time during the weeks of camp, serving the specific diseases of that camp. Snuggled has dressed over 600 bunk beds in each of the past 2 summers. Children use the quilts during their stay at camp and can take the quilts home when they leave. We are always in need of supplies, volunteers, quilt tops, money for batting, etc. We do have some specifics, easily accessed on our website and Face Book Also check out the camp and what they do on their website, Facebook, twitter, Instagram. Anyone interested can find us, contact us and we can and will gladly explain more about what we do, why we do it, and how we can use your help.
Thanks so much!
Penny

Pam

Please help.,my mom made quilts, she passed away last week due to an accident.. I hate to throw her pretty fabric and supplies away, I would like to help a charity or something. Her place is near Anderson, south Carolina.,any info would be appreciated., she also has beautiful yarn supplies , art stuff, etc.

Ministry Without Walls - Carolyn Horn

Ministry Without Walls is an Outreach Ministry of Harman Holiness Church in Maxie, Virginia. Through this ministry we make monthly visits to Boy’s & Girl’s Homes. The homes houses children between the ages of 12-17. Many of these children come from broken homes and are at-risk of becoming members of the criminal system. What the children need is love, and to know that someone cares about them. I am seeking donations of twin-size quilts to gift to these children. When they lay their heads down at night, they’ll know that they are loved and that they matter. If anyone could help with a quilt please email me at catkey3@msn.com.

PAMELA Moore

Hi I am new to Quilting and just retired in Dec of 2015 I am looking for a group of women who are quilting for Charity in the Dallastown PA area so I can join them maybe weekly or monthly thanks,Pam